Major Cities Mesh Overhaul (by raiserfx)

DoubleYou

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the textures provided by this mod are low-res and pretty poor quality.

At least one texture would be necessary to keep because it's a custom texture specific to this mod: /textures/architecture/whiterun/forgeheat.dds. It's used by this mod's version of  /meshes/furniture/blacksmithingskyforgemarker.nif. It doesn't exist in vanilla.

2 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Yes, the textures provided by this mod are low-res and pretty poor quality.

At least one texture would be necessary to keep because it's a custom texture specific to this mod: /textures/architecture/whiterun/forgeheat.dds. It's used by this mod's version of  /meshes/furniture/blacksmithingskyforgemarker.nif. It doesn't exist in vanilla.

We'd be hiding that marker in favor of Embers XD, so no issue there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/30/2021 at 4:55 AM, DoubleYou said:

I would suggest pointing it out to raiserfx, as he probably missed it and can update it. 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:11 AM, z929669 said:

I will definitely do that once I find the relevant assets. There could be others as well.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:48 AM, TechAngel85 said:

There are a few conflicts with Unofficial Material Fix and could simply be incorporated. There are also some from Assorted Mesh Fixes and Flickering Mesh Fixes. These are mods they haven't mentioned so they may be unaware of them.

Did anyone ever contact the author about incorporating the fixes from these other mods?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

Any word on this? I noticed it just received an updated, but doesn't seem to list those WR buildings or mention of including changes from the other conflicting mods.

Message sent and read on May 27. No response back, so he must know.

There is only one conflict with Unofficial Material Fix as far as I can see: the SkyForge. I'd recommend Whiterun Skyforge - Reforged (by MrNeverLost) to overwrite this mod, as it uses Majestic Mountains as a base, and incorporates the UNF fixes. I don't mind using a ton of tiny mesh fixes and improvements myself, but I reckon the guide may become too long and daunting with too many of them.

Edit: Never mind. It's already in the guide! So I'm not sure what the issue is then.

As for the conflicts with Assorted Mesh Fixes, the MA recommends that AMF overwrites this mod (see Compatibility section on main page).

4 hours ago, Mousetick said:

There is only one conflict with Unofficial Material Fix as far as I can see: the SkyForge. I'd recommend Whiterun Skyforge - Reforged (by MrNeverLost) to overwrite this mod, as it uses Majestic Mountains as a base, and incorporates the UNF fixes. I don't mind using a ton of tiny mesh fixes and improvements myself, but I reckon the guide may become too long and daunting with too many of them.

Edit: Never mind. It's already in the guide! So I'm not sure what the issue is then.

As for the conflicts with Assorted Mesh Fixes, the MA recommends that AMF overwrites this mod (see Compatibility section on main page).

See this post and the several follow-ups. Essentially, WMF is fixing some things that this mod isn't and vise versa (in those shots ... there could be more instances).

I honestly thing the MA hasn't responded, because sorting out the specific textures in this mod that need correction (relative to WMF) is a bit of a chore. It's not clear what we are asking to have fixed in this mod. I'm not prepared to switch gears yet from my current project (revising complex grasses ... nearly finished), lest I mess that one up trying to do too much.

49 minutes ago, z929669 said:

See this post and the several follow-ups. Essentially, WMF is fixing some things that this mod isn't and vise versa (in those shots ... there could be more instances).

I see. I've set it up like you so far: WMF first and then this mod overwriting it.

I'm more bothered by the conflicts between this mod and Flickering Meshes Fixes. It's a hard choice for me between the two.

Looking at the comments section, where all these conflicts are reported and asked about, it seems the MA is not interested in incorporating compatibility changes and always recommends overwriting this mod.

Regarding the moss: it's built into some meshes, like pieces of Whiterun walls for example. But to get the "full" moss and water splashes changes/additions I believe you need to use the optional plugin.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

I see. I've set it up like you so far: WMF first and then this mod overwriting it.

I'm more bothered by the conflicts between this mod and Flickering Meshes Fixes. It's a hard choice for me between the two.

Looking at the comments section, where all these conflicts are reported and asked about, it seems the MA is not interested in incorporating compatibility changes and always recommends overwriting this mod.

Regarding the moss: it's built into some meshes, like pieces of Whiterun walls for example. But to get the "full" moss and water splashes changes/additions I believe you need to use the optional plugin.

Yes, I had enabled the optional plugin with limited impact. Probably the mesh conflicts from other mods.

There are far too many mesh conflicts to evaluate, so I think I'd rather use a rule of thumb for override order. Not sure what that is at this point, TBH.