Better Dyndolod Red Mountain Plume (by MrNeverLost)

TechAngel85

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We never did supply our own screens and testing for this one. Silly us.

In testing WTT plume visibility from WR, I became struck by how bad it looks from there. It just looks like the sky mesh is bugged out in CW.

Step-vanilla  >>  Step-DynDOLOD Resources  >>  Step-Better Red Mountain Plume

From Solstheim

SkyrimSE 2022-12-29 15-15-44-97.jpgSkyrimSE 2022-12-29 15-17-38-93.jpgSkyrimSE 2022-12-29 15-19-13-07.jpg

From WR

SkyrimSE 2022-12-29 15-13-19-39.jpgSkyrimSE 2022-12-29 15-08-13-37.jpgSkyrimSE 2022-12-29 15-09-45-99.jpg

I personally hate the DynDOLOD and Red Mountain Plume (based on the former) versions with that massive mesh and stupidly-sharp edges. Vanilla wins by a long shot, and we don't really need to worry about the visibility under WTT with vanilla. It's smaller and more faint at Tamriel distance and doesn't look as much like a sky glitch (although it does flicker slightly).

I want to drop this mod and hide the DynDOLOD Resources version.

27 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

I think that the alternatives are better when the plume is only visible in Solstheim, but the vanilla version appears to play much more nicely with WTT.

To each their own, I guess, but I think vanilla from Solstheim looks way better. That giant white funnel looks unnatural, and you can see two layers at the edges. Vanilla is at least a better approximation of what it should look like, IMO.

Needless to say, I think there is an opportunity to significantly improve the plume with some mesh wizardry.

Just may naive take, but the non-vanilla plumes remind me more of a vortex (tornado or hurricane) than an ash plume. I'd expect an ash plume to have an inconsistent shape, although the color of the plume may vary due to the material in the plume itself. I am not a volcanologist, I do not play a volcanologist on TV, and Skyrim is a fantasy land so take this with a grain of salt. :D

Mt St Helens.jpg

Yeah, it's probably not simple to get that affect as animation. Vanilla does a better job of it just by fading out the rendered edges better. It's still not lumpy on the edges, but I think its a better approximation than the big white funnels. This one has that double edge thing going on, which makes it worse. The smoke textures of both non-vanilla versions are stretched such that they look like clouds and the sky is glitched.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

To each their own, I guess, but I think vanilla from Solstheim looks way better. That giant white funnel looks unnatural, and you can see two layers at the edges. Vanilla is at least a better approximation of what it should look like, IMO.

Needless to say, I think there is an opportunity to significantly improve the plume with some mesh wizardry.

I do think that for Step, we are better with the vanilla plume.

Honestly, I think that the DynDOLOD version is far better than this mod given this compare, so I would vote to drop this mod in any case.