Whiterun Mesh Fixes (by MrNeverLost)

TechAngel85

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This mod complete conflicts with ELFX meshes (all but 3 files). I don't recall our textures having these issues (need to check to be sure). In either case, I think I would rather have ELFX meshes vs this mod. I vote we drop this one from testing in favor of ELFX.

2 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

This mod complete conflicts with ELFX meshes (all but 3 files). I don't recall our textures having these issues (need to check to be sure). In either case, I think I would rather have ELFX meshes vs this mod. I vote we drop this one from testing in favor of ELFX.

I think I'd rather have ELFX as well.

17 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I guess I'd want to understand if the conflicting meshes are substantively different. If so, I'd want to know if this one is better. If not, agree we should drop or see what it provides and hide the rest.

Guess you don't understand what ELFX meshes are doing? They split the meshes into more "faces", thus allowing more lights to hit the mesh without causing issue. That's what the majority of them are, anyway. I didn't dive into the meshes, themselves, but the meshes from this mod are just providing some UV map fixes...mainly for mods using alterative textures that more easily reveal these issues.

15 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Guess you don't understand what ELFX meshes are doing? They split the meshes into more "faces", thus allowing more lights to hit the mesh without causing issue. That's what the majority of them are, anyway. I didn't dive into the meshes, themselves, but the meshes from this mod are just providing some UV map fixes...mainly for mods using alterative textures that more easily reveal these issues.

I understand that perfectly. I repeat my comment exactly. If this mod splits the meshes more efficiently, then I guess I'd want to use it ... if it provides split meshes not provided by any other mod, I'd want to use it. It should go into Foundation in that case, along with all of the other mesh replacers for which we must strategically manage conflicts.

22 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I understand that perfectly. I repeat my comment exactly. If this mod splits the meshes more efficiently, then I guess I'd want to use it ... if it provides split meshes not provided by any other mod, I'd want to use it. It should go into Foundation in that case, along with all of the other mesh replacers for which we must strategically manage conflicts.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9855298-whiterun-mesh-fixes/page-3#entry92811973
The author hasn't include ELFX changes in this mod. It doesn't split meshes. It fixes:

• - Roof lighting issues (likely alpha changes)
  • - Warped roof textures (UV)
  • - Texture seams (UV)
  • - Weird light bleed from buildings at night (likely mesh gaps)

15 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9855298-whiterun-mesh-fixes/page-3#entry92811973
The author hasn't include ELFX changes in this mod. It doesn't split meshes. It fixes:

• - Roof lighting issues (likely alpha changes)
  • - Warped roof textures (UV)
  • - Texture seams (UV)
  • - Weird light bleed from buildings at night (likely mesh gaps)

Seems like some compares or verification might be nice either way. If you have done that, I will take your word for it.

20 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Seems like some compares or verification might be nice either way. If you have done that, I will take your word for it.

You want compares of the meshes in NifSkope? That's really the only way your going to see some of these changes. From the Nexus Page...

All of them were taken with the Illustrious Whiterun texture pack (No parallax meshes) to highlight the issues in the vanilla meshes.

...meaning you're not going to see this but with certain textures...which is likely why it's gone so long unfixed.

But, no I don't have any compares.

8 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

You want compares of the meshes in NifSkope? That's really the only way your going to see some of these changes. From the Nexus Page...

...meaning you're not going to see this but with certain textures...which is likely why it's gone so long unfixed.

But, no I don't have any compares.

Yes, I do get that but just want to avoid favoring ELFX if these meshes better support our textures and lighting (with ENB and without). If no real obvious difference, then simple is better (ELFX). But we are favoring this guys meshes over ELFX in some cases, so we should do the same wherever these other meshes have analogous improvements to those with respect to ELFX.

Maybe not feasible to check easily, but just wanted to have a clear reason for choosing one or the other.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

But we are favoring this guys meshes over ELFX in some cases, so we should do the same wherever these other meshes have analogous improvements to those with respect to ELFX.

Maybe not feasible to check easily, but just wanted to have a clear reason for choosing one or the other.

Blanket approaches never work in modding. Some are better, some aren't.

I'll try to grab some compares....just needing to nail some things down so I can regen LODs.

1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

Blanket approaches never work in modding. Some are better, some aren't.

I'll try to grab some compares....just needing to nail some things down so I can regen LODs.

No worries. Agree that blanket approaches aren't best ... this is why I was mentioning that we should not just assume ELFX meshes are better where they conflict.

• 2 months later...