About Winterhold College LOD flicker

WYH77787980

Question

I found when I set "uLargeRefLODGridSize ="  to 11, I can get a good lod transition, but from a distance to the winterhold college bridge near the town, I can get an obvious flicker, when I set the value to 5, flicker disappear, but I don't want to lose a good good lod transition, what method can improve?

This seems to be a vanilla bug. I will add an automatic workaround for the next DynDOLOD alpha version.

DynDOLOD does not cause large reference bugs, some causes are even fixed by DynDOLOD. They may become more obvious because more stuff has LOD.

Make sure to check the DynDOLOD log for messages about plugins/references overwriting large references.

This is a vanilla bug that is caused by initially disabled large references. For now the  easiest and most compatible workaround is to replace the flickering large reference with a non large reference copy, which is what the next alpha version will do.

This sounds more like flicker caused by a mod (Just Ice) affecting the ice material shader rather than LOD transition. I get ice/glacier flicker in that area due to this mod. Tough to speak to your situation without a video or screens.

uLargeRefLODGridSize may be entirely redundant if you are using DynDOLOD though. @DoubleYou can speak more to this setting and its usefulness with DynDOLOD. Setting this to '5' matches uGridsToLoad and effectively disables, but default is 9.

Try disabling Just Ice and retesting to confirm.

The large reference bugs are well explained, documented and discussed since years including the causes and the solutions.

Read the documentation included in the DynDOLOD archive.

Pay attention to the DynDOLOD log which lists every reference and plugin overwriting large references triggering these bugs. Remove the overwrites from the listed reference or make sure that only ESM flagged plugins overwrite large references. In case it is a missing flag on MSTT base records, add the missing flag.

@WYH77787980 Please try disabling all mods via MO and load that save to see if it is resolved. This is not a LOD issue based on that vid.

If it resolves, begin enabling mods in batches ... first half, check. If still flicker, then disable first half and enable last half, check. Keep using this algorithm until you narrow down a single mod.

And set uLargeRefLODGridSize  to default '9' while doing all this

15 hours ago, sheson said:

This flicker happens in the vanilla game without any mods at all?

Yes, I use MO, and when I open the game directly from the root directory without MO, I still get this flicker, I will try to reinstall the game, I'm not sure I threw something strange into the ontology

11 hours ago, z929669 said:

@WYH77787980 Please try disabling all mods via MO and load that save to see if it is resolved. This is not a LOD issue based on that vid.

If it resolves, begin enabling mods in batches ... first half, check. If still flicker, then disable first half and enable last half, check. Keep using this algorithm until you narrow down a single mod.

And set uLargeRefLODGridSize  to default '9' while doing all this

Even if I didn't start the game with MO, I still got this flicker and wondered if something was wrong with my game itself

Edited by WYH77787980

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Make sure the  game's data folder is truly vanilla. No other plugins or meshes etc.

Yes, I reinstalled the game,make sure the  game's data folder is truly vanilla. No other plugins or meshes etc. Only if I set the value to 11, I'll get a flicker like this. Even the Winterhold college building started to flicker after Dyndolod was run.  I'm at my wit's end.

Edited by WYH77787980

2 hours ago, sheson said:

This seems to be a vanilla bug. I will add an automatic workaround for the next DynDOLOD alpha version.

DynDOLOD does not cause large reference bugs, some causes are even fixed by DynDOLOD. They may become more obvious because more stuff has LOD.

Make sure to check the DynDOLOD log for messages about plugins/references overwriting large references.

Thank you very much indeed. This problem has been bothering my OCD for too long.

Edited by WYH77787980

@WYH77787980 If you see this flickering effect as posted previously without any mods enabled at all and with a 'clean' game folder and starting Skyrim with the default launcher, then it is almost certainly a INI setting OR a driver setting or some other issue relating to your video drivers. DoubleYou will likely be able to verify your INIs. If so and there are no INI issues, then my guess is driver settings.

Please provide your video card make/model and general system specs. I'm thinking that you may be able to mitigate with a few adjustments to driver settings, but you will want to also update your display driver software if it isn't up to date.

Lastly, if you do want to verify that this happens without any mods and default Skyrim launcher, you will want to load a fresh game and travel to the location to check just to eliminate any possibility that it is related to data in your save game.