About Winterhold College LOD flicker

WYH77787980

Question

I found when I set "uLargeRefLODGridSize ="  to 11, I can get a good lod transition, but from a distance to the winterhold college bridge near the town, I can get an obvious flicker, when I set the value to 5, flicker disappear, but I don't want to lose a good good lod transition, what method can improve?

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

@WYH77787980 If you see this flickering effect as posted previously without any mods enabled at all and with a 'clean' game folder and starting Skyrim with the default launcher, then it is almost certainly a INI setting OR a driver setting or some other issue relating to your video drivers. DoubleYou will likely be able to verify your INIs. If so and there are no INI issues, then my guess is driver settings.

Please provide your video card make/model and general system specs. I'm thinking that you may be able to mitigate with a few adjustments to driver settings, but you will want to also update your display driver software if it isn't up to date.

Lastly, if you do want to verify that this happens without any mods and default Skyrim launcher, you will want to load a fresh game and travel to the location to check just to eliminate any possibility that it is related to data in your save game.

Sheson said it seems to be a vanilla bug and he will add an automatic workaround for the next DynDOLOD alpha version. So I will wait for the next version of Dyndolod to see if the problem is resolved. And a INI setting OR a driver setting or some other issue relating to my video drivers  could really lead to a large reference bug?After all, this problem only happened on the Winterhold College Bridge, and nothing else happened during the dozens of hours I played.

As I mentioned previously, this does not seem like a LOD issue but rather full textures, since the camara seems too close to the shimmer effect in the vid provided on this thread. @sheson are you saying that this flickering is indeed LOD4?

EDIT:  I withdraw the question. Confirmed it is indeed LOD4 issue.

41 minutes ago, z929669 said:

As I mentioned previously, this does not seem like a LOD issue but rather full textures, since the camara seems too close to the shimmer effect in the vid provided on this thread. @sheson are you saying that this flickering is indeed LOD4?

I used TFC 1 to approach the bridge from a distance and disabled the bridge . the lod left in place, so I think that's the problem with the lod.

4 hours ago, PRieST said:

So with the new Alpha, this 'fix' Winterhold College LOD Shimmer Fix (btw it solves the flickering) would get obsolete, as DynDOLOD would cover it?

I've tried this mod before, and both it seems like you can't use the LOD generated by Dyndolod once you use it, and it seems like it only edits the last two-thirds of the Winterhold College and the bridge, not the first third of the flicker.

I just checked and verified it's LOD4. Affects my game as well. I used latest DynDOLOD 2.xx and associated LOGGen as in the SE guide and Step SE 0.3.0b.

Winterhold College LOD Shimmer Fix does not resolve in the SE guide, so nothing to do.

I will note that there is plenty of subtle shimmer on LOD4 Ice textures out there as I mentioned previously. The bridge is by far the worst though.

For clarity on what I had mentioned previously. This shimmer on ice sheets at left and a few rocks in middle of screen look like the LOD4 vanilla bug sheson mentioned ... or z-fighting:

The shimmering of the glacier at lower left is caused by Just Ice, and no movement is necessary:

All under Step SE 0.3.0b build