xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

Heya Sheester. Been scratching my chin over something here. Using these settings here

1. Check everything in the Select Worldspace(s) to generate LOD for.
  2. Make sure Only Terrin LOD is Checked
  3. LOD4 quality 5; Diffuse 512, Normals 256, Protect Borders
  4. LOD8 quality 10; Diffuse 256, Normals 256, Optimize Unseen On
  5. LOD16 quality 10; Diffuse 256, Normals 128, Optimize Unseen On
  6. LOD32 quality 15; Diffuse 128, Normals 128, Optimise Unseen 550
  7. Bake normal-maps (checked)

and plopping the SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm last in my .esms (under Wymrstooth) I run everything and it seems to work fine and dandy except that I don't have any texture folder for the tamriel worldspace. The mesh folder is there but not in textures. This is what I have:

I only noticed that it was wrong because over on the Lexy & Darths LotDs guide the mention dragging down the mod for 'A Quality World Map' in the left panel of M.O2 has xLodGen knocks out the roads on the map but I don't have any conflicts at all because.. well it looks like the Tamriel Textures weren't done.

Any heads up into this?

I run everything and it seems to work fine and dandy except that I don't have any texture folder for the tamriel worldspace.

Like always, the first thing to do is to check the log. It prints a line with full path and filename for every terrain texture it generates, or an error message.

If the output path is the data folder under control of MO it will either replace existing files, or skip over them because they existed already.

Edited by sheson

Crap, ya beat me to it!

I left the output blank because who needs to RTFM right?  :blush:

Anywhos after I slapped it in I left an extra space or some such between the output path so it wasn't going anywhere but back into the overwrite folder.

It hasn't finished the current run but i can see that textures/tamriel  are there in the proper output folder so no worries. Sorry for the time waste

I've tracked down a repeatably CTD to some sort of conflict between the output of xLODGEN and the mod "VIGILANT" for SSE. With my xLODGEN output enabled, the game CTDs when transitioning into the "Stuhn Ravine" worldspace (that you pass through to enter the Temple of Stendarr.)

Any idea why this might be so? Is there some way I can fix it or just exclude that worldspace from xLODGEN's processing?

At the moment I'm just working round the problem by disabling my xLODGEN output in MO whenever I need to visit that worldspace (which thankfully is not that often.)

Heya, me again.

Quick question:  Is there a log file/list somewhere that shows exactly which mods have been used? Would be nice to know if there's a change in the L.O if I need to re-run and what not

xEdit/xLODGen list all plugins and BSA that are loaded while it starts up. All that is written to the log file after closing the program.

I've tracked down a repeatably CTD to some sort of conflict between the output of xLODGEN and the mod "VIGILANT" for SSE. With my xLODGEN output enabled, the game CTDs when transitioning into the "Stuhn Ravine" worldspace (that you pass through to enter the Temple of Stendarr.)

Any idea why this might be so? Is there some way I can fix it or just exclude that worldspace from xLODGEN's processing?

At the moment I'm just working round the problem by disabling my xLODGEN output in MO whenever I need to visit that worldspace (which thankfully is not that often.)

Probably caused by a invalid nif used for object LOD, though it would be quite an accomplishment that invalid data gets through unfiltered.

Edit: caused by an odd combination of lodsettings file included in the mod and a small world space that does not really need any LOD files. The generated LOD files are all perfectly fine. I might add an automatic skipping of worlds with less than 4x4 cells after looking at it some more.

xLODGen has a checkbox for each worldspace, just do not select that world when generating LOD.

Since LOD is already generated, you could also just selectively hide the data/meshes/terrain/[worldspace name] folder in MO.

Edited by sheson

Vigilant comes with a lodsettings folder in its bsa containing one .lod file per world. Is this used by xLODGen? Could xLODGen be unable to read it while it's packed in the bsa? I've also posted this question in the DynDOLOD thread following the subject of packing other file types in bsa (specifically .json files) and Sheson's answer was pretty clear (don't pack them if I understand correctly), now I'm trying to figure out which other files should equally not be packed to avoid breaking stuff. It might be that the problem with Vigilant here derives from lodgen not reading those files while they're packed?

Please disregard my previous post. Thanks to Sheson's answer in the other thread, by checking vanilla bsas I confirmed that lodsettings is a base game folder so it should be ok to load it from within a bsa and should not be the cause of any issues with Vigilant.

xLODGen has a checkbox for each worldspace, just do not select that world when generating LOD.

Since LOD is already generated, you could also just selectively hide the data/meshes/terrain/[worldspace name] folder in MO.

I realised this shortly after I posted and feel like a bit of a dummy for asking :)

Thanks for taking a look Sheshon, appreciate the quick response.

Hey lads, do you have your 'Optimise Unseen' on LOD4 set to off?

What does it do if its ticked?

It does the same as for the other LOD levels.

If you are diving you may notice the flattened terrain in the nearest LOD level. Depends on visibility.

Edited by sheson

Would you reccomend having it set to 'ON' like the other levels? Except maybe for the last one which is set to 550

My recommendation would be to test it.

On / small values combine under water triangles for smaller file sizes. However at close distances artifacts / flat surfaces might be visible. Then it is better turned off.

Larger values are there to combat z-fighting between shallow terrain and the water planes which typically is only a problem at larger view distances.