xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 110 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

2 hours ago, sheson said:

See what happens when you add the -speed command line argument.

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texdiag

Seems to have worked, in that instead of a race condition it just generated 250gb of files and crashed my ssd xD (40gb meshes, 210gb textures, though with a rather strange thing - the"actual size" of meshes is 600mb, "size on disk" is 40gb, and the same thing for the textures - "Actual size" is 5 or 6 gb, "size on disk" is 210gb? Not sure what that really means though).

I'm going to examine the textures folder, I want to see if it's one specific worldspace that's so large.

Anyway that argument did do something to help the race condition though.

Out of curiosity, is the reason I get so many race conditions because I have a ryzen 5900x? I know it has a lot more cores than normal processors and the scheduler sometimes has issues with it.

Edit: Hm, the biggest culprits seem to be dlc2solstheimworld and arnimaduplicate003 so far. Especially Solstheim, its texture folder is triple the size of Tamriel's...I wonder why.

Sovngarde was also 5gb, which seems a bit excessive.

I'll check the texture format in a bit.

LODGen_log.txt

Edited by DarthVitrial

6 hours ago, DarthVitrial said:

Seems to have worked, in that instead of a race condition it just generated 250gb of files and crashed my ssd xD (40gb meshes, 210gb textures, though with a rather strange thing - the"actual size" of meshes is 600mb, "size on disk" is 40gb, and the same thing for the textures - "Actual size" is 5 or 6 gb, "size on disk" is 210gb? Not sure what that really means though).

I'm going to examine the textures folder, I want to see if it's one specific worldspace that's so large.

Anyway that argument did do something to help the race condition though.

Out of curiosity, is the reason I get so many race conditions because I have a ryzen 5900x? I know it has a lot more cores than normal processors and the scheduler sometimes has issues with it.

Edit: Hm, the biggest culprits seem to be dlc2solstheimworld and arnimaduplicate003 so far. Especially Solstheim, its texture folder is triple the size of Tamriel's...I wonder why.

Sovngarde was also 5gb, which seems a bit excessive.

I'll check the texture format in a bit.

LODGen_log.txt 2.46 MB · 0 downloads

I think I figured out the file size thing - it’s because this drive is formatted as exFAT, which has the really large cluster  sizes (256kb vs ntfs' 4kb). 

So yeah the only actual bug was the race conditions. That test build fixed the first one and then running it work -speed worked around the other one, I guess, so that’s all good. 

Now that I've moved it back to an NTFS drive, do you want me to run without the -speed flag once more to get more logs about the race condition crash?

Edited by DarthVitrial

1 hour ago, DarthVitrial said:

I think I figured out the file size thing - it’s because this drive is formatted as exFAT, which has the really large cluster  sizes (256kb vs ntfs' 4kb). 

So yeah the only actual bug was the race conditions. That test build fixed the first one and then running it work -speed worked around the other one, I guess, so that’s all good. 

Now that I've moved it back to an NTFS drive, do you want me to run without the -speed flag once more to get more logs about the race condition crash?

Thanks. No need.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been running into an issue I haven't been able to diagnose. On distant mountains, there are these strange patches where, in certain weathers, the mountainside appears to be transparent, or noticeably brighter than the surrounding textures. What could be causing this/how do I fix it?

ScreenShot1.png

54 minutes ago, semithicc said:

Hi, I've been running into an issue I haven't been able to diagnose. On distant mountains, there are these strange patches where, in certain weathers, the mountainside appears to be transparent, or noticeably brighter than the surrounding textures. What could be causing this/how do I fix it?

ScreenShot1.png

I have no idea what the screenshot is supposed to be showing "wrong" since there is no comparison that shows how it is "right".
Do you mean the snowy peak?

If something is transparent it will show the sky or other stuff behind it. If there is a terrain underside mesh, increase object/terrain LOD distances and/or lower it, so it does not peak through.

LOD meshes and textures are always the same and do not affect how weathers or lighting works.

4 hours ago, sheson said:

I have no idea what the screenshot is supposed to be showing "wrong" since there is no comparison that shows how it is "right".
Do you mean the snowy peak?

If something is transparent it will show the sky or other stuff behind it. If there is a terrain underside mesh, increase object/terrain LOD distances and/or lower it, so it does not peak through.

LOD meshes and textures are always the same and do not affect how weathers or lighting works.

Yes, sorry for being unclear, the snowy peak is what I'm trying to fix, though other distant mountains are also affected. The issue persists even with all weather/lighting mods and ENB disabled. I've experimented thoroughly with increasing/decreasing LOD distances, as well as enabling/disabling terrain underside generation, but these had no effect. I've also tried using different combinations of mountain and landscape textures and regenerating LOD, but nothing seems to work. If you have any idea what steps I might try next, I'd really appreciate it. 

12 minutes ago, semithicc said:

Yes, sorry for being unclear, the snowy peak is what I'm trying to fix, though other distant mountains are also affected. The issue persists even with all weather/lighting mods and ENB disabled. I've experimented thoroughly with increasing/decreasing LOD distances, as well as enabling/disabling terrain underside generation, but these had no effect. I've also tried using different combinations of mountain and landscape textures and regenerating LOD, but nothing seems to work. If you have any idea what steps I might try next, I'd really appreciate it. 

The first step would be to  determine what the bright spot actually is. Terrain or object LOD or something else and to compare it to vanilla LOD / no xLODGen output. Get closer. Make use of TLC.

54 minutes ago, sheson said:

The first step would be to  determine what the bright spot actually is. Terrain or object LOD or something else and to compare it to vanilla LOD / no xLODGen output. Get closer. Make use of TLC.

Not sure I used it correctly, but TLC had no effect. Here are some more screenshots that might help diagnose the problem. Strangely, if the mountain peak isn't in the center of my view, it looks fine. Two of those screenshots were taken from the exact same location. The other screenshot should show the same sort if discoloration happening in smaller spots across other distant mountains.

https://imgur.com/ezwhkGD

https://imgur.com/0GWcheH

https://imgur.com/GpXphOR

5 hours ago, semithicc said:

Not sure I used it correctly, but TLC had no effect. Here are some more screenshots that might help diagnose the problem. Strangely, if the mountain peak isn't in the center of my view, it looks fine. Two of those screenshots were taken from the exact same location. The other screenshot should show the same sort if discoloration happening in smaller spots across other distant mountains.

https://imgur.com/ezwhkGD

https://imgur.com/0GWcheH

https://imgur.com/GpXphOR

Autocorrect... I meant tfc to fly closer to the spot. LOD may start to rapidly cycle through LOD levels making things weird though.

Once close type tll to disable all LOD to see if something else is there that remains.

2 hours ago, sheson said:

Autocorrect... I meant tfc to fly closer to the spot. LOD may start to rapidly cycle through LOD levels making things weird though.

Once close type tll to disable all LOD to see if something else is there that remains.

When I fly closer, the mountain begins to look normal. When I disable LOD, this is what remains - it seems like this is what's peeking through the mountain textures.ScreenShot10.thumb.png.9cca20557c34148db8af2bcc7424b763.png

13 minutes ago, semithicc said:

When I fly closer, the mountain begins to look normal. When I disable LOD, this is what remains - it seems like this is what's peeking through the mountain textures.ScreenShot10.thumb.png.9cca20557c34148db8af2bcc7424b763.png

The is the terrain underside mesh. Increase object/terrain LOD distances and/or lower the underside mesh, so it does not peak through.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Terrain-Underside#Troubleshooting

Terrain lod after Generating with xLODGen is blurry and undetailed, even at a relatively close distance. Grass draw distance also appears low even though set to a high range in bethini, though that's another issue entirely. I followed the instructions for xLODGen in the step guide and then installed as a mod in vortex. Is it even using the lod I generated? It doesn't look like it.

20221114220516_1.thumb.jpg.8307001663eb148b0420085e8f47548b.jpg

LODGen_log.txt

4 hours ago, mutz said:

Terrain lod after Generating with xLODGen is blurry and undetailed, even at a relatively close distance. Grass draw distance also appears low even though set to a high range in bethini, though that's another issue entirely. I followed the instructions for xLODGen in the step guide and then installed as a mod in vortex. Is it even using the lod I generated? It doesn't look like it.

20221114220516_1.thumb.jpg.8307001663eb148b0420085e8f47548b.jpg

LODGen_log.txt 1.36 MB · 0 downloads

You uploaded the LODGen log, which is the command line tool that generates the terrain LOD meshes. Upload the SSELODGen_log.txt, which contains the log lines from LODGen.

Only you can check and answer the question if the generated LOD meshes and textures are installed and are overwriting everything else.

Increase the resolution of the diffuse and normal-map textures as desired. Check the the bake normal-map box.
Type tll in console to disable all LOD, what remains are the active cells. The full terrain fades to the diffuse terrain LOD texture in a circle around the center cell without the normal-map terrain LOD texture, which make it look seems flat with less detail - unfortunately nothing can be done about that directly. Only beyond the active cells will the baked normal-map textures take effect. As already mentioned by DoubleYou, try to use a more detailed noise texture but remember its downside is that it is applied to all terrain LOD equally.

If you have problems or questions regarding settings from a guide or other tool, you need to ask at the appropriate forum of the guide.
LOD generation does not affect or change how far full grass renders. The max is to the edge of the active cells.

Hey sheson, I got a ctd after generating terrain lod and my net script framework had a crash log points to this file: Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.8.24.0_n.DDS.  Haven't ever had a ctd due to terrain lod before that I remember.  I'm using the newest beta.  What files should I upload for you?

here are the logs generated in case you need them

https://ufile.io/f/5141a

Edited by MisterMorden