Official STEP Lighting Solution

z929669

RLO

Hailed as the most realistic lighting mod of them all, but I must admit that I am not convinced. Most of the time I think the lighting intensity is a bit too low. Especially if you have a house with several candles and chandeliers then each light source is done super nicely, but there is no combined effect so the room still ends up being much darker then what is realistic. The worst "lack" from RLO imo is the lack of window lighting, if you got a house and there is an entire wall with windows then the room should be brighter. I have noticed it in several houses but it might just be that they have not got around to that part yet.

To be fair, RLO is still far from finished.

You should try 4.0.7 when it's out.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/articles/973/

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know I am a bit harsh on RLO, and that the next update should address many issues. However they also need CoT 3.0 to be released before they can fix the interior day night issues properly.

The places that are fully edited in RLO are superior to RL imo, but it is also the problem. They do such a good job that when you 1 min later enter a place that does not have that touch then you really notice it. While RL does a fair job in a lot more locations to date hence you do not notice it as badly when you run around the world.

I personally cannot wait for 4.0.7 and CoT 3.0 and I am also sure that will be the way to go unless the other mods get some more help... overhauling everything in skyrim and all DLC´s is no longer a one or two person job!

Yes I know I am a bit harsh on RLO, and that the next update should address many issues. However they also need CoT 3.0 to be released before they can fix the interior day night issues properly.

The places that are fully edited in RLO are superior to RL imo, but it is also the problem. They do such a good job that when you 1 min later enter a place that does not have that touch then you really notice it. While RL does a fair job in a lot more locations to date hence you do not notice it as badly when you run around the world.

I personally cannot wait for 4.0.7 and CoT 3.0 and I am also sure that will be the way to go unless the other mods get some more help... overhauling everything in skyrim and all DLC´s is no longer a one or two person job!

I'm in complete agreement here. For STEP purposes, RL is going to be the better choice; however, personally I find RLO to be superior as well in the areas where it is mostly complete. When RLO is completed, I don't think much will be able to come close to it's realism in lighting.

Thought I would post this here as I did in the RS - Dawnguard thread so you guys would know what will most likely happen with Relighting Skyrim in the future.

Yes the mods will be merged. The Relighting Skyrim by NovakDalton and Relighting Skyrim - Update by me will be merged first. Then I will start focusing my full attention on completing the Non-Script version and JIT-Script versions for the DLC's, go back and help NovakDalton out with the rest of the Skyrim cells that is left to do. And when all that is done I will do an automated installer for all of the mods and ask NovakDalton to merge our mod threads and mods together into that automated install folder which will let you choose which mods to install in the NMM for an example of Mod Managers, and/or do a separate merged DLC content esp file.

You have to remember though that not everyone have all the DLC's or will ever have all the DLC's. That is why both I and NovakDalton thought it would be best to have them separated to make the end user choose which mods to use based on the content they have installed. In the current state of Relighting Skyrim Series everyone can enjoy the new content introduced by me and NovakDalton not only those that have all the DLC files but for those that may only have say Dawnguard installed but no other DLC.

While it is fairly simple to merge the files together it would require that we extend our beta testing even longer for that extra mod with each update and for the moment I feel it's not worth the extended time frame of my BETA testing. I will do a simple to read and understand guide that takes the reader through the process of merging my and NovakDalton mods together and explain it in a way that if followed corectly will not cause any bugs or problems, but you will have to do the testing yourself. I have already tested to merge the files once with my RS - Update and NovakDalton's RS mod and it worked as I where to use the original files.

Also if in the future any would ask this here. Over at nexus there have been some request from a couple of users to separate the exterior changes and the interior changes in to 2 different files. NovakDalton have done so already with his v3.3a. Which I myself feels like it will create even more confusion and doing it so soon without having my own mods finished feels like I would have some unnecessary work above all the rest of the work involved with the Relighting Skyrim Series.

As for the load order placement I haven't yet fully tested exactly where to put them, only have established a general guide line.

They should be placed after all the unofficial patches and before any weather,  imagespace alteration and lighting mods not related to light bulb/candle light. And as the BOSS Team is overfilled with work and that theyhave real life stuff to take care of it will be a while until the proper load order is included with BOSS.

Yes once RL has an installer and a confirmed place in the load order then it is good to go for STEP.

But I think lighting is something a bit personal, so I see no issue in recommending either a completed RLO or RL in the far future. But I guess the STEP mandate is going to say that RLO is too realistic. :P

I am currently trying out the crazy lighting build with CoT, RLO+ELFX and then RL for the DLC´s. Decided that it was most sensible to put the RL files between the unofficial patches and the other lighting mods but good to get some confirmation!

I think any lighting be it RLO, ELFX or RS should be an optional pack as some users here already mentioned as it is a personal taste and not everyone is going to like all the changes in either of the mods.

I have tried before, in the middle and after the official patches and came to the conclusion that after them is the best and least troublesome place to have them. They make changes to a lot of different things it even adds meshes and also removes some which I found out in a Windhelm interior just before I was going to release my next update, and my lights and light sources was flaoting in mid air and I had to re-do that interior (by removing the edits with TES5EDIT) and have the changes the Skyrim unofficial patch made to that interior in mind.

But it won't matter how you load them they won't cause any conflicts at least they don't with my 109 mods (No texture or mesh mods included in the count) installed and I have tested a bunch of different load orders, but I have yet to confirm a 100% certain conflict free load order, though that does not exist but anyway find the best placement in the load order is still in the works. I will uninstall all of my mods and install every mod that is recommended by the STEP mod list and search for a good placement based on BOSS default load order. And post yet another comment on the BOSS thread about my result for that "perfect" placement after I have found it.

And by the way why do you guys use the nickname RL for Relighting Skyrim? Just wondering that's all.

I think any lighting be it RLO, ELFX or RS should be an optional pack as some users here already mentioned as it is a personal taste and not everyone is going to like all the changes in either of the mods.

I have tried before, in the middle and after the official patches and came to the conclusion that after them is the best and least troublesome place to have them. They make changes to a lot of different things it even adds meshes and also removes some which I found out in a Windhelm interior just before I was going to release my next update, and my lights and light sources was flaoting in mid air and I had to re-do that interior (by removing the edits with TES5EDIT) and have the changes the Skyrim unofficial patch made to that interior in mind.

But it won't matter how you load them they won't cause any conflicts at least they don't with my 109 mods (No texture or mesh mods included in the count) installed and I have tested a bunch of different load orders, but I have yet to confirm a 100% certain conflict free load order, though that does not exist but anyway find the best placement in the load order is still in the works. I will uninstall all of my mods and install every mod that is recommended by the STEP mod list and search for a good placement based on BOSS default load order. And post yet another comment on the BOSS thread about my result for that "perfect" placement after I have found it.

And by the way why do you guys use the nickname RL for Relighting Skyrim? Just wondering that's all.

Good catch RS it is ...

Yeah it felt a bit wrong to use the first 2 letters of the first word and not first 2 letters of the 2 spaced words as you did with the rest of the mods and how one generally assign a shortened name to a mod name :P

lol yeh good catch, did not even think about it! Just got used to it being the lighting mod with only two letters, and somewhere it just got mixed up! :S

Also finally more or less got the day settings nailed in the ENB i am making for myself... god it takes forever to change .fx files when you have to go into the game and out again to verify every change! I am sure there is a smarter way but for now I guess I just do it the hard way to get the experience.

Then tomorrow I will hopefully get done with night and interior settings as well and then the final tweaking can begin, and THEN I can finally play the game! That is unless patch 1.9 screws up everything for me and I end up getting so frustrated that I just buy heart of the swarm and play that instead!

RS Status Update

I have created a NMM installer for Relighting Skyrim now and will merge together my DLC and Update mod threads in to this new mod thread tomorrow;

Relighting Skyrim - DLC's and optionals

Or something like that. I think I will go with the Dawnguard mod thread and just rename it and alter the description pages and the rest of the stuff. No need to create an entirely new thread when I already have 4 to choose from ;)

Also NovakDalton will soon release a new update which I will merge together with my new No-JIT-Script version of RS - Update with his No-JIT-Script version. And he will also be checking out this site and probably join, I think.

Good stuff, thanks Jawz.

In other news, it seems that Anamorfus has been given permission to incorporate the RLO image spaces directly into ELFX. I'll be very interested to see how this turns out, as I like the way the ELFX handles the lights in most cases.