Jump to content
  • 0

I'm following STEP guide, but MO has never asked me to merge files as the guide says it should


RadikulRAM
 Share

Question

This is my MO directory, idk how it ended up like this:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim\Mod Organizer

 

If you notice I have a Skyrim folder in my Skyrim folder, that leads to MO. It has TES5EDits and Skyimprefs.ini in it aswell. I think I created it by accident when installing MO.

 

Anyways, in my Vivid Landscapes-Tundra Moss Revised installation, https://wiki.step-project.com/Vivid_Landscapes-Tundra_Moss_Revised#Recommendations, I didn't get asked to Merge.

 

I also have two Bash related folders here:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods

 

It's in the same folder, Common, as my Skyrim folder is.

 

I've got a Mopy folder in my Skyrim folder:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

 

I'm assuming I messed up the installations somewhere, and maybe that's why I'm not getting asked to Merge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

This depends on how you install the mod. If you click Download with Manager on Nexus,  it should give the SMIM Compatibility Patch the same name as Vivid Landscapes - Tundra Moss Revised and ask if you want to merge or replace.

 

If you installed it manually, Mod Organizer picks the name of the mod based on the name of the file so it defaults to SMIM Compatibility Patch and installs it as a new mod if you don't manually enter the name of the mod. As an alternative, you can install the SMIM Compatibility Patch normally and in the first dialog that pops up enter "Vivid Landscapes - Tundra Moss Revised" as the name of the mod (in the textbox at the top of the dialog) and Mod Organizer will then ask if you want to merge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi peoples, just a thought...

I think there might be some confusion in the wording of 'merge' and 'update' as there's not actually a file called update; and as to the term merge, there isnt a way (that im aware of) to 'merge' files in MO2 - other than doing so manually (if one has the ability and understanding) and then repackaging and installing as a new RAR into downloads, which cant be done with FOMOD mods (again, unless one understands how to repackage these also so the installer runs correctly again)

I feel using 'overite' would be a easier term for Optional Files (as there generally labelled) is my meaning....

...Unless of course  i totally missed a guide on 'merging' within MO2 (which ive never done, i learnt how to do it manually back in FNV days...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 minutes ago, NuroDragonfly said:

Hi peoples, just a thought...

I think there might be some confusion in the wording of 'merge' and 'update' as there's not actually a file called update; and as to the term merge, there isnt a way (that im aware of) to 'merge' files in MO2 - other than doing so manually (if one has the ability and understanding) and then repackaging and installing as a new RAR into downloads, which cant be done with FOMOD mods (again, unless one understands how to repackage these also so the installer runs correctly again)

I feel using 'overite' would be a easier term for Optional Files (as there generally labelled) is my meaning....

...Unless of course  i totally missed a guide on 'merging' within MO2 (which ive never done, i learnt how to do it manually back in FNV days...)

When you install multiple files for the same mod name, Mod Organizer will prompt you to replace, merge, or cancel. The term merge here is indicating that when this prompt appears, you should use the merge button. It is possible that you are downloading mods manually and the metadata isn't downloaded and you therefore never noticed this functionality. 

However, the real issue is that the update was rolled into the main file in the current version and the instructions haven't been updated accordingly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

1st - ahh yes, ive got a large repository of pre-downloaded mods from Nexus for various games and Versions of them on my storage system, so of course, the Metadata does not show up any longer and totally forgot that was even an option in MO2...

2nd - well good to be of service then i suppose :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, NuroDragonfly said:

1st - ahh yes, ive got a large repository of pre-downloaded mods from Nexus for various games and Versions of them on my storage system, so of course, the Metadata does not show up any longer and totally forgot that was even an option in MO2...

As long as you have the original unmodified archives (.zip, .7z, .rar) downloaded from Nexus, you can ask MO to recreate the metadata:

  1. Configure MO so that its Downloads path setting points to the folder where you store all your pre-downloaded mods.
  2. Switch to the Downloads tab.
  3. Mod archives that have no metadata display a warning icon in front of their name.
  4. Right-click on a file and select 'Query Info'  image.png
  5. MO2 will scan the file, compute a checksum, and retrieve the metadata from Nexus. This is almost instantaneous but may take a bit more time for very large archives.
  6. In case there is an ambiguity, MO will ask you to manually confirm the mod ID and game.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Yes, ive actually been doing that: Rightclick 'query info' - enter Nexus mod page number if it doesnt like it, link the correct file for pages with multiple download options etc..

But i never get the 'merge', 'replace', 'cancel' though when i am 'technically' installing an actual 'update' to said mod....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, NuroDragonfly said:

But i never get the 'merge', 'replace', 'cancel' though when i am 'technically' installing an actual 'update' to said mod....

It has to be the exact same mod name (not archive name) as an already installed mod.

Try to install the same mod twice in a row. It's a silly scenario but at least you'll see what we're talking about:

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Yeah, thats whats happened when ive accidentally tried to install the same mod twice - im Dyslexic so I rename everything into a very OCD ordered system based on what the mod is actually called on Nexus...

But im thinking if i rename the 'updates' as exactly the same as the mode it is meant to update as im installing them - considering MO2 lets me change the RAR/Zip file name ive given it when im installing it - id achieve the same results?? :confusion::celebration:

Edited by NuroDragonfly
more info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, NuroDragonfly said:

But im thinking if i rename the 'updates' as exactly the same as the mode it is meant to update as im installing them - considering MO2 lets me change the RAR/Zip file name ive given it when im installing it - id achieve the same results??

I don't quite understand what you mean. File names are distinct from mod names, and typically have no incidence on how mods are named in MO when Nexus metadata is available. To avoid veering too much off-topic, you may want to continue this discussion by posting in the Mod Organizer or General Skyrim SE Discussion & Support forum, as it sounds like it pertains more about MO usage in general than about the Realistic Water 2 mod in particular.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, NuroDragonfly said:

Yeah, thats whats happened when ive accidentally tried to install the same mod twice - im Dyslexic so I rename everything into a very OCD ordered system based on what the mod is actually called on Nexus...

But im thinking if i rename the 'updates' as exactly the same as the mode it is meant to update as im installing them - considering MO2 lets me change the RAR/Zip file name ive given it when im installing it - id achieve the same results?? :confusion::celebration:

 

3 hours ago, Mousetick said:

I don't quite understand what you mean. File names are distinct from mod names, and typically have no incidence on how mods are named in MO when Nexus metadata is available. To avoid veering too much off-topic, you may want to continue this discussion by posting in the Mod Organizer or General Skyrim SE Discussion & Support forum, as it sounds like it pertains more about MO usage in general than about the Realistic Water 2 mod in particular.

I split relevant posts from the RWT topic onto this apt topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 hours ago, NuroDragonfly said:

Yeah, thats whats happened when ive accidentally tried to install the same mod twice - im Dyslexic so I rename everything into a very OCD ordered system based on what the mod is actually called on Nexus...

But im thinking if i rename the 'updates' as exactly the same as the mode it is meant to update as im installing them - considering MO2 lets me change the RAR/Zip file name ive given it when im installing it - id achieve the same results?? :confusion::celebration:

I have a very similar workflow in which I store mods in a network repository so I can grab them locally without having to download these from Nexus again. When I install a mod that consists of multiple files, I install the main file first, copy the mod name in Mod Organizer to the clipboard. If the main file is poorly named (as some of them are), I correct the name in Mod Organizer and copy the corrected name to the clipboard. I then install each of the other files for that mod and paste the mod name into the box that Mod Organizer pops up. It then asks if I want to overwrite or merge into the installed mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
59 minutes ago, Greg said:

I have a very similar workflow in which I store mods in a network repository so I can grab them locally without having to download these from Nexus again. When I install a mod that consists of multiple files, I install the main file first, copy the mod name in Mod Organizer to the clipboard. If the main file is poorly named (as some of them are), I correct the name in Mod Organizer and copy the corrected name to the clipboard. I then install each of the other files for that mod and paste the mod name into the box that Mod Organizer pops up. It then asks if I want to overwrite or merge into the installed mod.

It may be a small convenience in your workflow, but using your clipboard seems slightly redundant, since MO remembers your custom mod names for a given modID, and those are available for all subsequent files installed from same mod page in the alphabetized dropdown menu when installing the mod and choosing a name. As soon as you install the main file, the name is available for any optionals via that dropdown.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 hours ago, Mousetick said:

I don't quite understand what you mean. File names are distinct from mod names, and typically have no incidence on how mods are named in MO when Nexus metadata is available. To avoid veering too much off-topic, you may want to continue this discussion by posting in the Mod Organizer or General Skyrim SE Discussion & Support forum, as it sounds like it pertains more about MO usage in general than about the Realistic Water 2 mod in particular.

Mousetick; Ill move this onto the appropriate forum if it requires further investigation as to the best methods

3 hours ago, Greg said:

I have a very similar workflow in which I store mods in a network repository so I can grab them locally without having to download these from Nexus again. When I install a mod that consists of multiple files, I install the main file first, copy the mod name in Mod Organizer to the clipboard. If the main file is poorly named (as some of them are), I correct the name in Mod Organizer and copy the corrected name to the clipboard. I then install each of the other files for that mod and paste the mod name into the box that Mod Organizer pops up. It then asks if I want to overwrite or merge into the installed mod.

Greg; dont use 'clipboard' unless you mean simply CTRL+C, X, V etc for shortcuts...

 

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

It may be a small convenience in your workflow, but using your clipboard seems slightly redundant, since MO remembers your custom mod names for a given modID, and those are available for all subsequent files installed from same mod page in the alphabetized dropdown menu when installing the mod and choosing a name. As soon as you install the main file, the name is available for any optionals via that dropdown.

 

Yes, this is what i was referring to, as it sometimes chooses something already installed - when i dont want it too and have to be very attentive when installing mods that are similar or from the same author...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.