Proper Torch Wield - Hold your torch away from your face (by skyrimaguas)

IDzeroNo

Discussion thread:
Proper Torch Wield - Hold your torch away from your face by skyrimaguas
Wiki Link

69368-0-1441337441.jpg

Do you find it annoying that the torch is always on your face in first person view making it very difficult to see especially during combat? The bright fire on the screen has been a big distraction from me and for that reason I find torches very impractical to use. I created this mod with the aim of fixing this issue by improving the torch mesh allowing it to be held farther away from the face. This mod is a simple mesh replacer and does not contain textures so you can use it with your favorite torch retexture.

Features:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Now, you don't see the torch flame in first person view! no more distraction
- Tweaked Vanilla torch mesh - grip position moved lower and torch made slightly longer 
- Torch is now held farther away from the character's face in both first person and third person view for improved visibility
- Works on NPCs as well
- does not modifify the torch lighting values
- Proper Torch Wield positions the torch to be held slightly turned outward on the side because in real life torches are not supposed to be held near your face straight up because it is hot and embers that spark off the burning material can hurt you. Aside from the practical benefits to visibility, Proper Torch Weild also makes torch wielding more realistic.

Compatibility:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Basically compatible with ALL mods because it is a mesh replacer - no esp, no scripts
- This mod is compatible with all lighting mods, just make sure you overwrite their torch meshes (e.g. ELFX, SMIM, etc.)
- Will not work with mods that change the torch mesh or add effects based on the mesh

Recommended for use with:
Hold Your Torch Higher - this mod changes the 3rd person animation only

Installation:

Extract the archive contents into your Skyrim data folder, overwrite the files when prompted.

69368-2-1441337441.jpg
69368-1-1441337441.jpg

What about the other "Hold Your Torch Higher" mod - thoughts on that?

Personally, I like this mod but dislike the "Hold Your Torch Higher" mod. My arm tires much faster when I'm extending it higher and I'm not even holding a torch. I can't imagine extending my arm upright like that over the course of several hours. To be fair, my arm would tire from holding a torch out as well, but some simple (entirely unscientific) tests on myself seem to indicate that the vanilla height is more comfortable.

On the other hand, tilting the torch away from my face as per "Proper Torch Wield" makes a lot of sense to me.

Edited by Harpalus

That it's made by skyrimaguas is a confidence booster from the get go.  I really like both Superior Lore Friendly Hair and Grass on Steroids, so I'll be installing this one for a test immediately.  I'm with Harpalus in terms of realism and holding you arm higher like that, but I'll probably give it a test as well just to have a look as it seems like it won't cause issues if uninstalled afterward.

I'll add an edit here and let you know my impression.

Addendum:

So I really like this one.  Proper Torch Wield LOOKS right, both in terms of the position it's being held (no more curled burned whiskers, aye?) and how it looks in 1st person using Enhanced Camera.  Like several other "sublime" fixes, this one is an instant required one for me.

In fact, I like it "as is" so much I'm not even going to bother trying Hold Your Torch Higher as it's not necessary imo.

Nice find!

Edited by n0mad23

Personally, I like this mod but dislike the "Hold Your Torch Higher" mod. My arm tires much faster when I'm extending it higher and I'm not even holding a torch. I can't imagine extending my arm upright like that over the course of several hours. To be fair, my arm would tire from holding a torch out as well, but some simple (entirely unscientific) tests on myself seem to indicate that the vanilla height is more comfortable.

On the other hand, tilting the torch away from my face as per "Proper Torch Wield" makes a lot of sense to me.

I tend to agree with what you are saying - I was thinking about all of that as well.

After giving this mod a try I do have a couple of gripes. First being that your hand is very stiff when holding the torch with a weapon drawn - it doesn't sway or anything. Secondly, the way the torch is clutched in the hand looks a little awkward to me. Still, I think this is a fantastic mod and will probably keep it in my loadorder despite these minor gripes.

edit: looks like the lack of movement is a vanilla bug and not a result of this mod. The awkwardness is also a vanilla problem...so ignore my gripes :)

Edited by Cameron9428

Hold your torch higher to increase the chance of arthritis. ::D:  Your torch blocks your view slightly because it makes you feel more vulnerable. That is the whole point.

Edited by Guest

The author is not him. The guy also seems banned too, so I hope his files don't go missing soon.

Wait the link confused me. The first link is the banned guy and the second is the actual mod. Right.

Edited by Guest