The Return Of The White Wolf (a comprehensive Witcher 3 modding guide)

rootsrat

i ran into a small issue  :

After installing the photomode 2 in one mod  i decided to go ingame to see if it worked  and it does , but i hit a snag :

Pressing R freezes the gameplay and i can move the camera around no problem but i can't seem to find a way  to unfreeze the game again .

Pressing r does nothing .

Edit  nevermind  i figured it out.

forgot a few spots to paste the code in the file .  

Edited by thorgal
  • +1 1

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I have a fov mod in the testing queue :) 

I think the guide will have a major update next. I have recently finished the game and I have now enough gameplay time behind me to assess the usefulness of some mods, so I'm in the process of reworking the whole mod build, creating new patches etc. and once I'm done the new build will become Guide version 1.0 recommended for normal game and I'll start New Game + to enhance the guide further. 

Yeah, I loved the teaser! Looks like Shani's back too! From what I've heard you'll be able to get a special physical edition with full set of Gwent cards, but it's very limited number. I kind of regret getting expansion pass now...

As for the guide - the major update is coming soon! A significant amount of mods were removed and there will be lots of new additions, some changes to mods.settings and user.settings file, some text changes and much more. Watch this space :)

Following this major update I will start New Game+ and I'll start testing how the guide works with NG+ to further improve on it so it's suitable for both normal playthrough and NG+. 

Compatibility with Hearts of Stone will be of course ensured. 

In other news - not sure if you're aware but CDPR confirmed now that they won't be releasing Mod Kit 2, however they will keep updating and improving Mod Kit. This news left a bit of bitter taste in my mouth, following what they were claiming before the game was even released, i.e. full support for mods and modding community, which included release of the world editor for the community to create new adventures etc. 

At least the Mod Kit will be improved upon and update. There should be an update coming soon, so I'm eagerly waiting to see the changelog. Hopefully they will expand the tool's capabilities rather than just fixing the bugs...

Help request: can anyone test any horse texture mod please? I noticed that mine just stopped working recently and I have no idea why. Even if it's the only mod installed it doesn't do anything. Not sure what causes this (unless CDPR changed the filename of the texture in the bundle pack - which is unlikely). I'd like to find out if it affects anyone else. 

Just make a copy of your Mods folder, create a new one Mods folder and install any horse texture mod like Fera's Roach Variants or Black and Grey Mare Roach

Thanks for confirming! I may have to revalidate my game files. I've been messing about quite a lot for the upcoming massive update of the guide.  

Will you add Super Turbo Lighting Mod in this new update?

I'm using the cold version and it's amazing. I don't even use ReShade anymore and installed injectSMAA instead.

I'm almost reinstalling the game and starting a new playthrough.  ::D:

I have tested it briefly yesterday and yes, it looks amazing, however some users were reporting issues with weather etc.

That was one of the reasons the update was slightly delayed as I had to create a whole set of patches for Cutscene Lighting and the new mods I've addded and then Turbo Lighting was released (I was following the W3 forums thread for it closely, but didn't expect for it to be released yesterday!) and all the patches had to be redone. Since I do most of the patches manually... lots of work!

I will be testing it extensively over this weekend to catch any issues or problems. One thing I noticed is that it removes a foggy overlay over LOD buildings and with ReShade Lumasharpen they're too gritty, so I'll be looking to sort that out too. 

I'm hoping to have the update released before Monday.

Quick teaser - over 20 new mods added to the guide, patch mods combined into a single mod, and many more changes incoming! It really is a massive update, the biggest yet. Watch this space and book some time off ;)

I can't be the only one that actually prefers Vanilla to the new lighting mod? I've been looking at the screenshots on Reddit and in a lot of areas Vanilla is better, mod author even says that himself. I'm keeping an eye out for more development before jumping on the bandwagon. :)

I'm just making the comparisons. It doesn't look that good. There are certain areas it looks absolutely stunning but a lot of the time it's just really bad, overbloomed or too dark or a bit on a washed out side... A lot, and I mean A LOT, depends on the weather and time of the day. From what I've seen so far I don't think it will make it to the guide. And I know not a lot can be improved because of limited possibilities of current modding tools - if you can call it that at all, as all Modkit allows for is uncooking and unpacking the game files...

You'd need access to proper editor to resolve those issues and as we know we're not getting one... So unless an upcoming update to Modkit allows for access to more file types this mod will have a lot of issues.

Hello I was just starting to follow your guide and I got to the mod Photomode 2inOne. My Mech keyboard doesn't have a Number Pad. I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on another set of key I could use? I know its mostly user defined on what buttons they want to use I i'm just looking for a good starting point.

Hello I was just starting to follow your guide and I got to the mod Photomode 2inOne. My Mech keyboard doesn't have a Number Pad. I was wondering if you would have any suggestions on another set of key I could use? I know its mostly user defined on what buttons they want to use I i'm just looking for a good starting point.

Hey  there. If you have limited number of keys you can easily skip the weather, effects and time control keys if you want. They're there for testing purposes mainly and to be honest I never use them in game. The most important one is R key really, as it allows you to pause the game at any time (including cutscenes!) and turn on the free camera mode to take a cool screenshot :)

If you really want the extra controls, the available keys would be F6 through to F12, so maybe use those? You can also use Insert, Home, Page Up etc. You need 10 in total for full controls, including "R".

However - if you're just starting with the guide I'd wait until the next update, as it's going to be a massive one - about 10 mods were removed and over 20 new ones added, plus a few were updated.

I was going to spend most of the weekend testing the new lighting mod and sorting all the new patches, but after some initial testing today I decided not to include it in the guide, so I'm just finishing off some final stuff and I should be releasing the update later on today or tomorrow at the latest.