The Return Of The White Wolf (a comprehensive Witcher 3 modding guide)

rootsrat

Thanks for the input Neo. +rep Sir :)

I didn't update my game yet and I haven't got time to do a clean install at the moment.

I have another problem - potions/bombs hotkeys stopped working in radial menu, no idea why. The Change Mode (Potions/Bombs) and Show Active Effects hotkeys work fine. I'm puzzled. Investigating. Did anyone else come across this? 

Thanks for the input Neo. +rep Sir :)

I didn't update my game yet and I haven't got time to do a clean install at the moment.

I have another problem - potions/bombs hotkeys stopped working in radial menu, no idea why. The Change Mode (Potions/Bombs) and Show Active Effects hotkeys work fine. I'm puzzled. Investigating. Did anyone else come across this? 

Mine was working fine up until I upgraded to the new version.

Also, the update re-balanced items / levels in new game plus, so any stat / combat overhauls will likely need major revisions due to that. Big patch is big and all that.

• +1 1

Hi Rootsrat, first of all thank you for putting this excellent mod guide together! I went through the guide and had just finished when Steam queued the 1.10 download >.< I'm going to do a clean install once the guide is updated, but I had a couple questions if you've got the time.

In the user.settings file, you say if something isn't in the file we should add it in ourselves in the relevant section. In my vanilla user.settings file, I didn't have a [Hud] section at all. I did a ctrl-F and the only "hud" entry found was a single line, not a section. So I figured I'll just copy in the [Hud] section from your guide. Was this correct? If so, does it matter where in the user.settings file I put it? IIRC, I put it towards the top (but obviously after another section, I didn't put it in the middle of another section). 

My second question is about the Reshade stuff, I'm personally not a fan of the aesthetic of many Reshade presets and would prefer to not use it for Witcher 3 if possible. Can I skip the Reshade stuff or should I just follow the guide to the letter and then use the key to disable it ingame? If I didn't install the Reshade stuff, I was thinking I'd also not make several changes from the guide (e.g changing envBlendValue=0.5 to 0.75 in the KNGCSLM.ws file).

Apologies for the long post, I'm sure you're very busy. Thanks again for your work, it's really appreciated!

Mine was working fine up until I upgraded to the new version.

Also, the update re-balanced items / levels in new game plus, so any stat / combat overhauls will likely need major revisions due to that. Big patch is big and all that.

Thanks. I think I'll wait with the upgrade until mods are updated...

Hi Rootsrat, first of all thank you for putting this excellent mod guide together! I went through the guide and had just finished when Steam queued the 1.10 download >.

In the user.settings file, you say if something isn't in the file we should add it in ourselves in the relevant section. In my vanilla user.settings file, I didn't have a [Hud] section at all. I did a ctrl-F and the only "hud" entry found was a single line, not a section. So I figured I'll just copy in the [Hud] section from your guide. Was this correct? If so, does it matter where in the user.settings file I put it? IIRC, I put it towards the top (but obviously after another section, I didn't put it in the middle of another section). 

My second question is about the Reshade stuff, I'm personally not a fan of the aesthetic of many Reshade presets and would prefer to not use it for Witcher 3 if possible. Can I skip the Reshade stuff or should I just follow the guide to the letter and then use the key to disable it ingame? If I didn't install the Reshade stuff, I was thinking I'd also not make several changes from the guide (e.g changing envBlendValue=0.5 to 0.75 in the KNGCSLM.ws file).

Apologies for the long post, I'm sure you're very busy. Thanks again for your work, it's really appreciated!

If you leave HUD at default settings in game the section wouldn't exist in user.settings file. You were correct by adding it. The order doesn't matter, you can add it anywhere as long as it's not in the middle of another section. 

For Re-Shade, I'd still encourage you to try the preset I recommend, it's easy to uninstall if you don't like it. You can skip it entirely if you want, but remember to change your Post Processing options (turn on AA, set Sharpening to what you prefer etc.). As for envBlendValue - yeah, 0.75 may be too high, so feel free to experiment with different values to find out what works best.

And no worries, I'm busy, but I'm always happy to help, that's what the thread is for :) Enjoy the game!

Alternative Look for Triss should be enabled. There is a mod that forces that fancy dress to be used only during a certain masquerade... No spoilers :) It really fits from the story point of view, makes total sense. 

I wish there was a similar for for Alternative Look for Yennefer and a certain funeral too. And a one that forced Alternative Look for Ciri towards the end of main quest line, after a certain quest.

It would be a perfect  trio! I contacted the author of Alt. Look for Triss mod, but they weren't willing to make these mods, so here's hoping that someone will read this and make them :)

After "burning in" my new rig for a while and setting everything up just right over the last little while, I've just installed Witcher 3 and started modding the game.

OMG, the detail of the game and the quality of gameplay. Amazing. Still not sure about all your choices of mods, I'll see how I go with most of them, but so far so good.

I am doing a full game purge for this new patch... It's a massive one and I think some mods will be redundant. I also wanted to test a couple of other bigger mods to replace some existing ones - seems like a good opportunity. I reckon the guide will go through a massive update :)

Am I correct in assuming the 'Alternative look for Triss' is an addition with the new patch? Since you make no mention to disable that along with those for "Yennefer & Ciri". I'm going to disable that also.

Alternative Look for Triss should be enabled. There is a mod that forces that fancy dress to be used only during a certain masquerade... No spoilers :) It really fits from the story point of view, makes total sense. 

I wish there was a similar for for Alternative Look for Yennefer and a certain funeral too. And a one that forced Alternative Look for Ciri towards the end of main quest line, after a certain quest.

It would be a perfect  trio! I contacted the author of Alt. Look for Triss mod, but they weren't willing to make these mods, so here's hoping that someone will read this and make them :)

Do not install the Triss DLC appearance for masquerade mod I mentioned - it's not compatible with 1.10. I'd then recommend setting Alternate Look for Triss off. 

These alternate looks DLCs seem like they should be activated towards the end of the game after certain events. Maybe apart from Yennefer one - that one is not lore friendly.

So I used your Guide as I really liked your choices for most of the different mods. And after a few difficulties it worked like a charm, but I still have two issues. Ingame it says that I have installed the ReShade programm but it doesn't change to unistall Sweet FX in the tool you recommend. And I haven't played on Deathmarch before but is it normal that I do no Damage to the Enemies in the first fight? Like a sword-hit damages them for 0.4 Healthpoints or less. While they of course hit me for 1000. Maybe thats normal but I found the first fight very aggravating.