The Return Of The White Wolf (a comprehensive Witcher 3 modding guide)

rootsrat

Hi guys. Help request! :)

I need some help testing a mod if anyone's willing to. 

No Auto Sword Sheathe - Unsheathe:

• Optional files: No Auto Sword Unsheathe updated to version 1.1
  • NEW FILE >> Optional files: Combat Distance Fix (with manual combat stance toggle) file added - see installation instructions

This new file, Combat Distance Fix allows to deflect arrows from farther away than vanilla, but I'm not convinced if it's working or if it's a placebo... I'd appreciate if anyone could test it and feedback the results. Thanks!

I'm not Playing Witcher 3 right now but have been following your guide. I have to say its really cool how you are posting your change logs. I try to follow the history tab for the step guides (If that makes sense. I couldn't think of a better term for it) and it can get very confusing trying to update certain complex guides.

Hi guys. Help request! :)

I need some help testing a mod if anyone's willing to. 

No Auto Sword Sheathe - Unsheathe:

• Optional files: No Auto Sword Unsheathe updated to version 1.1
  • NEW FILE >> Optional files: Combat Distance Fix (with manual combat stance toggle) file added - see installation instructions

This new file, Combat Distance Fix allows to deflect arrows from farther away than vanilla, but I'm not convinced if it's working or if it's a placebo... I'd appreciate if anyone could test it and feedback the results. Thanks!

The whole mod was working for me before but after I installed the Combat Distance Fix to test it Geralt started to automatically sheathe/unsheathe his weapons.  ::(:

I'll reinstall the mod and test it again tonight.

Hm... That's strange. I have it installed and the other bits of this mod work correctly for me. Did you follow the guide fully?

I'm in the process of making custom patches for the guide and I already have a permission from couple of mod authors to upload them to Nexus as an assorted collection. I'll need to contact couple more people and then I'll release them to ensure max compatibility.

Once you added Combat Distance Fix to your guide I deactivated the other two mod files via NMM and deleted them then reinstalled all three files according to your order.

What I notice though was that when I copied my scripts folder from Main Menu Zoom to add it to No Auto Sword Sheathe the old files were already there. I believe NMM did not removed the mod correctly.

Today I'll remove the mode again and delete any leftovers and try again.

• +1 1

Ah, yes, I came across this. It's seems like a bug with NMM. Thanks for reminding me, I was going to report it. It looks that NMM doesn't always remove the mods when you uninstall them using the program. The workaround for this is to deactivate the mod in NMM and then manually check the mods folder if it was actually removed. I am going to add a note about this in the next update. 

Also - heads up, Main Map Zoom is being replaced with World Map Unlimited Zoom, which does not require copying the script to all the other mods (this was just ridiculous). It requires Fast Travel Anywhere to be installed separately and a patch applied - the latter won't be available for a while, so if you don't mind not having the fast travel mod you can just uninstall the Map mod, remove it's script from all the other mods and install World Map Unlimited Zoom (it's easy, just activate the mod in NMM).

::EDIT::

You can head over to the bug report I submitted and confirm the issue if you want: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=tracker&showissue=42214 - hopefully they'll look into this.

Yeah. But only the alternate art. Since like you, that's the only part of the mod I'm using. Adding in the other options from this mod would take some time, and would be good to leverage the FOMOD installer for. If the Witcher 3 mode of NMM supports it at all. Also, for the card tweaks, I'd rather seek the original author's permission beforehand, since those are ultimately his.

And besides, I want to see if this works as intended in the first place before I make any official uploads.

EDIT: Also, the manual camera mod needs to have two script files (playerInput and r4Player, both in scripts/game/player) merged with the counterparts from the HUD toggle and close camera mods respectively. Here are the merged files for ease of use, extract to scripts/game/player in each scripted mod.

Gotcha. 

As for the patches, I'll need to get permission from couple of authors and I'll release the patches that I made. They're separate mods and all you have to do then is control the load order via mod.settings file in My Docs\Witcher 3, where your user.settings file is. No need to copy stuff all over the place. That's one of the reason I'll be removing the current map zoom mod, it's just a dirty method of dealing with mod conflicts :/

Separate patches and mod.settings is clean and a lot less tedious.

:edit:

BTW... :)

• 20/08/2015
    • Configuration file changes:
    • Guide section changes:
      • Added New Game Configuration section (WIP for now).
    • Mods Updated: none
    • Mods Added: none
    •  

Gotcha. 

As for the patches, I'll need to get permission from couple of authors and I'll release the patches that I made. They're separate mods and all you have to do then is control the load order via mod.settings file in My Docs\Witcher 3, where your user.settings file is. No need to copy stuff all over the place. That's one of the reason I'll be removing the current map zoom mod, it's just a dirty method of dealing with mod conflicts :/

Separate patches and mod.settings is clean and a lot less tedious.

:edit:

BTW... :)

• 20/08/2015
    • Configuration file changes:
    • Guide section changes:
      • Added New Game Configuration section (WIP for now).
    • Mods Updated: none
    • Mods Added: none
    •  

Great update! Lots of changes to user.settings! Gonna try them now.

Since you now mention Hairworks on your settings I think it would be nice to add mod Hairworks on everything but Geralt (https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/165/?) as an optional download. This give a boost to your FPS and is now updated to modkit version.

• +1 1

Cutscene lighting mod has been updated to version 1.02 as of yesterday.  It's compatible with NMM and has been configured through the modkit.  However, this means you will have to clean out the bundle folder or run the uninstaller.

Also, I strongly recommend AutoLoot - AutoLoot the items you want.  Designed to not trigger in areas where you can steal by mistake, auto loots most mobs you kill, and skips having to mash the Y button every time you grab a herb.  I cannot praise it enough.  What seems like a small thing makes looking plants no longer a hassle.

Finally, Disable Intro and storybook videos and Skip Movies work great together.  Skip's the intro vendor slash, the initial loading cut scene, and the loading storybooks.  Again, a small thing, but these two combined with the above removes the delay involved in playing the game versus mashing buttons to get back to it.

Edited by Veezy
  • +1 1

Great update! Lots of changes to user.settings! Gonna try them now.

Since you now mention Hairworks on your settings I think it would be nice to add mod Hairworks on everything but Geralt (https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/165/?) as an optional download. This give a boost to your FPS and is now updated to modkit version.

Cutscene lighting mod has been updated to version 1.02 as of yesterday.  It's compatible with NMM and has been configured through the modkit.  However, this means you will have to clean out the bundle folder or run the uninstaller.

Also, I strongly recommend AutoLoot - AutoLoot the items you want.  Designed to not trigger in areas where you can steal by mistake, auto loots most mobs you kill, and skips having to mash the Y button every time you grab a herb.  I cannot praise it enough.  What seems like a small thing makes looking plants no longer a hassle.

Finally, Disable Intro and storybook videos and Skip Movies work great together.  Skip's the intro vendor slash, the initial loading cut scene, and the loading storybooks.  Again, a small thing, but these two combined with the above removes the delay involved in playing the game versus mashing buttons to get back to it.

Thanks for the feedback and your suggestions guys, much appreciated!

HairWorks on Everything but Geralt - I tried to install this some time ago and I couldn't get it to work. I am going to revisit this mod at some point. Glad to hear it's been converted to ModKit version!

AutoLoot - I've had a look at this mod before, but I didn't like the idea. I prefer to control and see what I'm looting. Roleplaying purposes mainly.

Disable storybook vids - I didn't finish the game yet, so I am not using the mod yet, because I want to see all the slides :)

I also have a different idea how to tackle this - the other day my sound card switched itself to 7.1 mode (I have stereo speakers) and the voiceover from these videos was muted (i.e. being played from a non-existing speaker). It was really cool effect! I think the comicbook-like slides are really cool, it's just the voiceover that is annoying. I am going to look at disabling the voice files and leaving the slides and music only. It looks very cool! If this won't work and when I finally finish the game for the first time I'll definitely have a look at this mod.

Skip Movies - I prefer to keep the movies in, sometimes I feel like watching the full intro when I start the game. You can just skip them with space. No biggie to me and I prefer to avoid adding mods that 1) I didn't fully test and 2) are not really needed - for the sake of consistency and to keep the guide as conflict free as possible (I know it's only the videos, but it's a principle I decided to stick to.)

Rest assured though that new mods will be added to the guide - I have 50 mods in total waiting to be checked or already being in the testing queue  ;)

ModKit version of Cutscene Lighting Mod is incompatible with No Auto Sheathe/Unsheathe because they change the same script playerWitcher.ws

Until someone find a way to make a compatible patch that is.  ::D: