General Feedback

You're fine. This question comes up periodically and we explain our position and rationale. Like with many other mods removed from Nexus we don't know why it was done. Perhaps the author will at some point contact Nexus and allow it to be taken over by them. Fortunately it does not provide very many FO3 textures when following the FO3 guide, and since it is not longer available it will be removed from the guide.

@Kelmych

Hey there friend = ) I've deviated a bit already but I wanted to make sure that you have seen that I've uploaded a few more videos since we last talked. I removed the rivet city bug fix mod due to Roy assuring me that it can't be the cause of the issue and that the navmesh fixing that we did with the DLC was the cause of it (rather, playing the game without fixing them was the issue). I've added a few things to my load order (at least in the most recent video) that I think would be worth checking out for CaPD.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlN8weLk86XhW4DeotXq0BvY4dBpnphVE

You certainly added some great new videos. The guide needs to be revised to note this, and to point to some of the specific videos like the removing navmeshes and INI files vdieos.

Should some of the video references to GamerPoets videos in the guide  be changed to reference the recent videos?

@Kelmych

I noticed something small today when rebuilding my setup on a new machine. Your Fallout3_INIs sub guide initial steps section states the first step uses fINIp 3 which has since been replaced by BethINI. All the BethINI section immediately following is correct but that little piece of the intro can be confusing of you are new to the guide and don't know the relationship between the two.

Thanks again for an awesome guide!

Edited by Makkli

The guide is being updated, including the INI section, and this will be fixed. This section will also point to the INI video recently created by GamerPoets who did extensive comparisons of some of the INI values and created new recommendations for many of the FO3 parameters.

No I wanted to make sure that I wasn't screwing something up lol I was reading about it but I didn't see where it said what maps it covers (my eyes are getting worse these days it appears). Thanks for responding so quick = )

I search for other map mods but I couldn't find any (not a long search but long enough). 

Before I forget: any amendments that I make to the process in my videos (small enough ones to not require a new video) are annotated in the pinned comment (and they are added to over time if needed). So if you suggest to anyone to check them out letting them know about the pinned comment could help them as well. ( I mention this in the earliest videos in the series but not everyone remembers or checks it out)

In discussion on the Discord about the Retexture mods by @QuasarX, @Roy mentions some of the textures are stolen. In light of that do think perhaps a re-think on their use is in order?

I have no definitive knowledge on which textures they are, but I trust @Roy, if he says so, then they are.

I've spoken with NMC. All of the Quasar texture mods, except Mothership Zeta (NMC didn't touch that DLC) are filled with NMCs textures. There aren't just a few files but rather a large portion of them are NMCs. Again, Mothership Zeta has nothing to do with NMC. I do have some other news, which NMC actually told me but I didn't understand it at the time, regarding DLC textures,. which after I figure out this next video will be confirmed/shared. 

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would ask here, since it's better to ask than waste some time :) As it is known that Fallout 3 behaves weirdly in modern Windows OS (probably due to the introduced support for multi-core CPUs, while XP, as far as I know, supported only up to two cores) would it be worth it to install Windows XP and play Fallout 3 on it? It's not a big problem for me, I can dual boot it since I have plenty of HDDs and I still have a copy of XP lying around somewhere. Would that reduce the possibility of crashing? Is modding FO3 on XP even a thing or will I stumble upon different problems? 

I would really love to play FO3 without crashing but that game just made me give up on modding quite a few times, even though I've managed to get Oblivion and Skyrim run modded basically flawlessly. FO3, though, that was a crashfest whenever I tried to play it, even with a very lite setup like "only bug fixes + FWE". Just roaming around the area after Super Duper Mart would crash me constantly. Would Windows XP help with that? Above all, I want to reduce the instability of the game.

I would still love to get some feedback from people on this topic and I haven't received any third party responses. If you have the time install Fallout Stutter remover, use the FSR .ini from my nexus page https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/22821?tab=files on your current setup but open it and turn heap management on in the .ini file and set heap to 450 (not sure that it has to be 450 but it's what a person commenting told me to try and I did) and see if your crashes stop. FWE has some issues but I don't know enough about it to know if it would cause crashes. Would love to see if it helps you.

Edit: I have received feedback from a few friends who said this stops their crashes but I would like feedback from someone who I'm not personally chatting with every day = ) ... the .ini is also for the most recent version of FSR (I'm using Windows 10 as it may make a difference?)