Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Hi .

I have run into a snag with the guide with trying to merge the NewVegasUncutSeries .

Specifically this part :

i do step 1 first and that works .

Problem is with step 3 : when i try to rename the awilderwasteland.esp folder to NewVegasUncutSeries.esp i get an error :

Posted Image

I triple checked to make sure i did not make any mistakes ,but it does not allow me to rename it

Folder path may be to long. Windows limitation.

You could shorten the name of the plugin to something like nvuncutseries.esp and then make the folder names from those to mods match it.

Folder path may be to long. Windows limitation.

You could shorten the name of the plugin to something like nvuncutseries.esp and then make the folder names from those to mods match it.

I tried it , but i still get the same error .

Just to make sure this is correct ,here is the file with an arrownext to the folder that i assume  has to be changed if i read it correctly  .

Posted Image

Anything wrong here ?

Edited by thorgal

It might be a weird permission thing from windows. You can do is the same operations from within windows explorer. Right click the mod and there is a option to view the folder.

As long as the sound files are in the correct folder you should be okay.

I tried it , but i still get the same error .

Just to make sure this is correct ,here is the file with an arrownext to the folder that i assume  has to be changed if i read it correctly  .

Posted Image

Anything wrong here ?

MO will not let you change the older name of something to a folder in the same directory that already exists. Just delete the already created folder that contains nothing in it, and rename awilderwasteland.esp to what you want. I think  the problem occured because the Merge Plugins script trys to compensate for the sound folders and will automatically place a sound folder with the new .esp name in the directory. So you can easily just move the folders you need.

It might be a weird permission thing from windows. You can do is the same operations from within windows explorer. Right click the mod and there is a option to view the folder.As long as the sound files are in the correct folder you should be okay.

This works ,thanks !

MO will not let you change the older name of something to a folder in the same directory that already exists. Just delete the already created folder that contains nothing in it, and rename awilderwasteland.esp to what you want. I think  the problem occured because the Merge Plugins script trys to compensate for the sound folders and will automatically place a sound folder with the new .esp name in the directory. So you can easily just move the folders you need.

I thought of doing this first ,but was  nervous it would screw something up.

Still. thanks 

I'm that noob who is following the guide without the DLC. I've made a couple threads already, but I figured I would come in here and just dump some notes on my experience with F&LNV. Since I'm a total beginner I figured my insights should be useful for improving the clarity and user-friendliness of the guide.

1. FOMM/Mod Organizer — Mods installed with FOMM go into MO's Overwrites folder. The guide gives us directions to right click on Overwrites in MO and "create mod" to complete the installation. However, my bashed patch from WryeFlash is also sitting in the Overwrites folder. If I right click and "create mod," won't it include the bashed patch that's sitting in the folder too? Or does MO somehow know to keep it separate?

2. Merge Plugins xEdit Script — Clarify in the installation instructions that you need to replace the Edit Scripts folder. I unpacked the archive into the existing Edit Scripts folder, and the script did not work. It took me a while to figure out that I had to replace the whole folder.

3. INI Tweaks — Clarify which ones you can simply copy + paste (like the mouse acceleration tweak) and which ones overwrite existing INI settings (like the light distance fade tweak). I almost missed this and could have had double entries for some of those settings.

4. Mod Organizer — Clarify that if you want to [Merge] mod files you have to name them the exact same thing. I had no idea why the option to [Merge] or [Replace] was never showing up for me.

5. DLC — I know this is probably at the bottom of the priority list, but it would be awesome if there was a note next to some of the mods telling us if they require DLC. For the most part I have been able to adjust to the guide, but for some mods like the CaliberX patches it isn't clear that they apparently require some of the DLC to function (MO was giving me warnings for Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.CaliberX4+.Patch.esp and Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Store.LITE.esp saying they required DLC). So I had to uninstall CaliberX because I figured it would be lame without the WotNM patches.

That's all I got for now. I'll stop by with some more notes if I come across any hang-ups. I love the guide, keep up the great work!

Edited by Luap

You can also physically go to the Mod Organizer overwrites folder and move the Bashed Patch to another folder in the Mods folder. Call that folder Bashed Patch or similar. Drop the BashedPatch0.esp in there and you're still fine. So you go to your Mod Organizer mods folder, make a new folder. Call it Bashed Patch. Then go to your Mod Organizer overwrites folder. Grab the bashed patch from there and drop it in the folder you just made in the Mods folder. Then start up MO again, and you should see a mod in the left pane called whatever you called the folder. Activate that. That will activate your Bashed Patch0.esp in the right pane. :)

With the merge script, if you extracted the archive into the already existing Edit Scripts folder, you're doing it wrong. Yoi should have extracted the archive into the New Vegas base folder, where FNVEdit is at, and the Edit Scripts folder from the archive would be merged into the already existing Edit scripts folder.

With the ini tweaks, if you use the configurator it's almost impossible to mess it up. :)

And finally, with the DLC issue, I know you mentioned you didn't want to lay out for them not knowing whether you like the game or not, but on Steam the DLC are extremely cheap, and if it turns out you don't like a DLC, just ignore it, like I tend to do. Still, I heartily recommend Old World Blues DLC, it's great fun. :) 

Edited by Nozzer66

I just finished the UIO install. All elements appear to work in the MCM and the UI hud works as intended with. I loaded up on mods that are not in the F and L guide, I figured I might as well get as many covered as possible.

Edit: Mada a correction Moved FlashlightNVSE to the end due to a outdated onehud flashlight_battery.xml file.

[spoiler=UI install with UIO 1.10 in MO]Unless otherwise stated all mods are installed via MO install. FOMM will be noted when needed. This list is from an earlier post on how to install the hud mods in MO with FOMM. It has been add to and modified for the use of UIO - UI Organizer at Fallout New Vegas, a dynamic patcher in the likes of Unified HUD Project – uHUD.

Important note, you can install UIO now, but do not enable the mod until you have finished installing your mods. This will prevent certain files from being changed or removed if you like to test.

Mod Organizer now handles most of these mods without error and mods installed from MO will detect the installed mods.

This list is ordered to allow the best use of the mods. We are still held to the MO mod isolation, last file wins rule. While other mods can be installed, they have to follow that rule. To that end Darnui will always need to be moved to the highest priority slot when installing mods, with the exception of when you are installing oHUD, which needs to be dead last with Darnui just above it. If you have to install a mod that requires oHUD, oHUD will need to be removed and reinstalled. If something is not working you can move it in the priority order and see if it changes.

The Mods.MTUI or DUINV. Choose one or the other. They both conflict with each other. MTUI was not tried in this test. This mod need to be installed so other mods can detect it.Note about DUI. While I was doing this I moved this mod to the highest priority to allow the features to work.FPSWeaponWheel.Shilo Clean Pipboy screen. This will detect which one is installed, MTUI or DUINV.Shiloh DS - Color Survival Map & Icons.Advanced Recon Trap Detection.Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision.Advanced Recon armor stealth gearJIP Selective-FireJIP Realistic Weapon OverheatingJIP Companions Command & ControlProject Nevada and Project Nevada extra options. FOMM Install. Both need to be installed with FOMM. Project Nevada extra options will not install the Cyberware option if it does not see the core mods. PN provides its own MCM menu system so it needs to be installed early to let the Mod Configuration Menu mod to override it. When finished make a mod out of the over write folder. Name it appropriately.The Mod Configuration Menu, MCM.If installing FOOK install it here.The Weapon Mod Menu. This needs to see NVSE and will when it is activated. This works with the MO install and detects NVSE.One Hud. Upon activation it will detect DUINV, MTUI or Vanilla. It also saw the Powered power Armor mod and installed the PPA files.

Flashlight NVSE. This needs to be installed with FOMM to detect NVSE and the MCM mod. Make a mod out of the overwrite folder and activate.Move the Darnified UI mod to just above OneHUD.Enable UIO.With OneHUD this should be the last UI mod installed. Start the game and enjoy. Don’t forget to press the “I†button to see the HUD elements.

I'm that noob who is following the guide without the DLC. I've made a couple threads already, but I figured I would come in here and just dump some notes on my experience with F&LNV. Since I'm a total beginner I figured my insights should be useful for improving the clarity and user-friendliness of the guide.

1. FOMM/Mod Organizer — Mods installed with FOMM go into MO's Overwrites folder. The guide gives us directions to right click on Overwrites in MO and "create mod" to complete the installation. However, my bashed patch from WryeFlash is also sitting in the Overwrites folder. If I right click and "create mod," won't it include the bashed patch that's sitting in the folder too? Or does MO somehow know to keep it separate?

2. Merge Plugins xEdit Script — Clarify in the installation instructions that you need to replace the Edit Scripts folder. I unpacked the archive into the existing Edit Scripts folder, and the script did not work. It took me a while to figure out that I had to replace the whole folder.

3. INI Tweaks — Clarify which ones you can simply copy + paste (like the mouse acceleration tweak) and which ones overwrite existing INI settings (like the light distance fade tweak). I almost missed this and could have had double entries for some of those settings.

4. Mod Organizer — Clarify that if you want to [Merge] mod files you have to name them the exact same thing. I had no idea why the option to [Merge] or [Replace] was never showing up for me.

5. DLC — I know this is probably at the bottom of the priority list, but it would be awesome if there was a note next to some of the mods telling us if they require DLC. For the most part I have been able to adjust to the guide, but for some mods like the CaliberX patches it isn't clear that they apparently require some of the DLC to function (MO was giving me warnings for Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.CaliberX4+.Patch.esp and Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Store.LITE.esp saying they required DLC). So I had to uninstall CaliberX because I figured it would be lame without the WotNM patches.

That's all I got for now. I'll stop by with some more notes if I come across any hang-ups. I love the guide, keep up the great work!

I Know Nozzer answered some of your questions already but I would like to add my input. Also, just as a thought during the Steam Winter Sale you should be able to pick up all the DLC for like 5 bucks or something. Chet: "Well worth the caps if you ask me."

1. I agree with what Nozzer said. I generally just right-click and make a seperate mod for in MO with ONLY the Bashed Patch and call it "Bashed Patch," then I untick it in the left pane until I need it. 

2. I agree with what Nozzer said for the most part. You should open up the Merge Plugins folder (that you downloaded) and open up the "Edit Scripts" folder. Copy everything in there to the "Edit Scripts" folder inside your FNVEdit folder. Do NOT copy the "Edit Scripts" folder itself and put it in the FNVEdit "Edit Scripts" folder or else it will not recognize it. You can also just drag and drop the folder and windows should automatically merge it. 

3. Ya EssArrBee does not really clarify on those. The Mouse Accelleration tweak needs to be added and the Light-Distance fade should replace the existing one. Or you will have double of the same. You probably figured that out though by now. The rest of the .ini tweaks you either add the whole thing or only replace the numbers.

4. Yes that is correct. For MO to give you the option to Merge something, that you are installing needs to be given the EXACT same name (case sensitive) as the folder you are merging it into when it asks you what you want to name the file.

5. Perhaps EssArrBee will add that add a later date. However, to be honest I don't blame him if he doesn't. the majority of people have the DLC and at the beginning of the guide he states that the guide requires it in a lot of areas. Don't worry though, there are still a LOT of mods you can use without the DLC. It will just take some research on your part. 

6. For those instructions open up wherever you installed MO. In there should be a folder called "Downloads." Open it and find Project Nevada. You will move the Darnified Ui optional folder from there as per the instructions in the guide to the "Mods" folder Project nevada which is located in the same MO directory but called Mods instead of Downloads. Let me know if you need a picture.

Thank you . i found it .

One final thing , when the guide mentions that the mod contains  dirty edits should that mean that i should use Fnedit to clean it or just leave it ?

Reason i am asking is because  certain mods require  those edits to work properly and  have repeatedly been told  the only thing that should be cleaned are the masters files .

Edited by thorgal

Thank you . i found it .

One final thing , when the guide mentions that the mod contains  dirty edits should that mean that i should use Fnedit to clean it or just leave it ?

Reason i am asking is because  certain mods require  those edits to work properly and  have repeatedly been told  the only thing that should be cleaned are the masters files .

Unless the guide specifies otherwise I always clean the dirty edits.

Thank you Nozzer66 and Audley for addressing my notes.

If I move the bashed patch out of the Overwrites folder and into its own folder, will MO automatically be able to detect it? Also, I can't uncheck the bashed patch on the left side of MO because it does not have a checkbox next to it. It sits at the top of the list and is categorized as Non-MO.

Thank you for the advice about the xEdit Script install. I actually managed to figure it out on my own, but I was just saying that the instructions in the guide should be more clear to avoid other beginners making the same mistake I did.

And yeah I understand the guide is meant for people with the DLC. Maybe one day though, when the guide is "complete," there can be a section or notes added for vanilla players. But yeah it mostly isn't a big deal to adjust.

Ran into a snag again .

This time with interior lighting overhaul.

I followed the installation correctly , but when i click finish the mod does not appear in the left pane or anywhere else .

I did check both the download and mod folders and can confirm that in both the  files are there so i am at a bit of a loss why it isn't showing in the list .