Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I just installed Flashlight NVSE.  At this point, if I go and hide the file in JIP Companions, can I simply delete the oHUD mod from MO, then reinstall it in there, and then reactivate Flashlight NVSE in FOMM and have everything be OK... or not?

Oh man.. forget it.  I'm just going to redo the whole thing again... tomorrow. 

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Should work fine if you make sure the main_hud_menu.xml or whatever it's called is from PN. You might just have to go back to the beginning, but that usually isn't the case. The other way to do the whole UHUD section is to just install every mod in that section with FOMM through MO, all at once, then just make one mod out of everything in Overwrite folder. This means redoing that section if you update a mod from it.

Were there supposed to be instructions to hide something under the "Advanced Recon Range Finder" mod installation instructions?  I ask this because I'm looking at the file structure of it and notice now that it contains an empty "menusmain" directory.  I believe I recall noticing the same sort of situation in the JIP Companions mod after I improperly installed it the first time and didn't hide the hud_main_menu.xml file before installing One HUD.

Also, One HUD includes a hud_main_menu.xml file in it and that gets loaded after Project Nevada, so doesn't this mean that MO has the One HUD's copy overwrite the PN version's?  Should I be hiding One HUD's or not?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Hey all-

This is a great project; I loved vanilla New Vegas but F&L takes it to the next level.  Props to EssArrBee and the community for the healthy amount of work they've put in.

I learned a ton about modding while going through the guide; I also noticed some problems that some people may care about.  I spent more time than I'm willing to admit trying to achieve my ideal F&L setup.  ;-)  Here are some things that I couldn't quite iron out or determine the root cause of:

1) Random NPCs not wearing armor/clothing.  For examples, 2-3 NCR troopers wandering around the Mojave Outpost.  And the merchant that hangs out in front of Jean Skydiving that Eddie asks you to take care of.  This isn't a huge deal because I can use the 'resurrect' console command until they get a random loadout that looks right.  I still would like to figure this one out at some point.

2) I was experiencing CTDs that weren't related to load order (at least as reported by FNVEdit).  After much trial & error, it seems something about the JIP Companion mod and the latest ILO instructions isn't compatible.  I was able to prevent the CTDs by extracting both mods BSA files.  I'm assuming this is probably something specific to my setup, but it's worth noting for posterity.

3) Two of the installers don't install BSA files properly.  One example is CaliberX; I can't remember the other offhand.  I had to manually install the BSA file after I noticed a bunch of giant red exclamation points in game.  I then systematically disabled mods until I figured out the cause.  Using the 'manual' button in MO does properly install the BSA file.

4) The instructions to install More Perks may need tweaking (or perhaps I'm just a ******).  But renaming things to 'More Perks.esm' doesn't seem to work because a directory with that name already exists.  Moving the contents *into* 'More Perks.esm' does work though.

5) The instructions for WMX may also need tweaking (or my brain does).  When I run the installer as instructed, WMX-POPMerged.esp doesn't get installed correctly; I have to do it manually.

6) A couple installers end with an error along the lines of "Mod XXX not found" but this doesn't seem to affect installation at all, at least not that I've noticed.

In case anyone is wondering, my setup is nearly exactly as the F&L guide suggests, with perhaps two additional minor mods to take the annoying peep sights off a couple weapons.

Take care and thanks so much for the guide; I'm very thankful to have it as a resource.

-bfc

I didn't install the JIP Companion but the only problem i experienced from the rest of your list was More Perks.esm, you have to move the files. It worked for me, maybe the error is because the folder you are moving already exists, if so move the files and delete the folder after.

Hey all-This is a great project; I loved vanilla New Vegas but F&L takes it to the next level. Props to EssArrBee and the community for the healthy amount of work they've put in.I learned a ton about modding while going through the guide; I also noticed some problems that some people may care about. I spent more time than I'm willing to admit trying to achieve my ideal F&L setup. ;-) Here are some things that I couldn't quite iron out or determine the root cause of:1) Random NPCs not wearing armor/clothing. For examples, 2-3 NCR troopers wandering around the Mojave Outpost. And the merchant that hangs out in front of Jean Skydiving that Eddie asks you to take care of. This isn't a huge deal because I can use the 'resurrect' console command until they get a random loadout that looks right. I still would like to figure this one out at some point.2) I was experiencing CTDs that weren't related to load order (at least as reported by FNVEdit). After much trial & error, it seems something about the JIP Companion mod and the latest ILO instructions isn't compatible. I was able to prevent the CTDs by extracting both mods BSA files. I'm assuming this is probably something specific to my setup, but it's worth noting for posterity.3) Two of the installers don't install BSA files properly. One example is CaliberX; I can't remember the other offhand. I had to manually install the BSA file after I noticed a bunch of giant red exclamation points in game. I then systematically disabled mods until I figured out the cause. Using the 'manual' button in MO does properly install the BSA file.4) The instructions to install More Perks may need tweaking (or perhaps I'm just a ******). But renaming things to 'More Perks.esm' doesn't seem to work because a directory with that name already exists. Moving the contents *into* 'More Perks.esm' does work though.5) The instructions for WMX may also need tweaking (or my brain does). When I run the installer as instructed, WMX-POPMerged.esp doesn't get installed correctly; I have to do it manually.6) A couple installers end with an error along the lines of "Mod XXX not found" but this doesn't seem to affect installation at all, at least not that I've noticed.In case anyone is wondering, my setup is nearly exactly as the F&L guide suggests, with perhaps two additional minor mods to take the annoying peep sights off a couple weapons.Take care and thanks so much for the guide; I'm very thankful to have it as a resource.-bfc

1)this will get fixed as Wrye flash and loot get more compatible. Should be solved by next Wrye flash and loot updates actually. 2)I probably need to add extraction direction for a couple new mods. 3)what's the other installer? I want to make sure to add as many install instructions as possible. 4)I'll change it for clarity. 5)I will double check the files. 6)I've never seen this so you'd need to tell me which mod(s) it was, so I can check it out.