Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I am following this guide at the moment. Thanks so much for making it! The STEP guide for Skyrim was amazing as well.

I'll post about any problems i find during installation. Forgive me if they have already been mentioned before.

1. The Mod Configuration Menu

When installing the MCM Bugfix 2 file i was never asked to click Merge or Replace.

2. JIP Selective-Fire

File under moderation review. Can not download or view on Nexus.

3. The Weapon Mod Menu

F&L does not mention installation method. The mod's readme says the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) installer will be the only supported installation method. Clarification in F&L would be nice. I installed using FOMM - Fork and afterwards created a new mod for it in MO.

4. Hall Of Equipment

How do you install the optionals into the same folder?

This is where i stopped for now, will continue later, or when i get an answer to 4.

Edited by Blackice

I am following this guide at the moment. Thanks so much for making it! The STEP guide for Skyrim was amazing as well.

I'll post about any problems i find during installation. Forgive me if they have already been mentioned before.

1. The Mod Configuration Menu

When installing the MCM Bugfix 2 file i was never asked to click Merge or Replace.

Did you install the main file first? Did the bugfix file go into the same location as the main file?

2. JIP Selective-Fire

File under moderation review. Can not download or view on Nexus.

It is probably the anti-virus scanner catching up with some older mods. I bet it was a false positive that put the file under review. Give it day or two and it will be back up. Same thing happened to NVAC last week.

3. The Weapon Mod Menu

F&L does not mention installation method. The mod's readme says the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) installer will be the only supported installation method. Clarification in F&L would be nice. I installed using FOMM - Fork and afterwards created a new mod for it in MO.

I'll look it over see if I can make it more clear.

4. Hall Of Equipment

How do you install the optionals into the same folder?

Usually it will ask you if you want to Merge, Replace, Rename, or Cancel. Just click merge so they all go to the same folder. If it doesn't ask you then make sure to name the folder it's being install to the same as the main file, so you can merge them.

This is where i stopped for now, will continue later, or when i get an answer to 4.

Thanks for using it!

Thanks! I didn't realize that the name you can write before installing is also the folder name, and that they need to be the same to be able to merge. I reinstalled the MCM bug fix and merged it, i hope that was not a bad idea. Are there any 'rules' to the folder naming? Do i need to put all bug fixes and updates into the same folder as their parent mod? If so you should mention it in the guide.

MO usually uses the Nexus ID found in archive name. It is usually that 4 or 5 digit number toward the end of a filename to get the correct name for a mod. (The Mod Configuration Menu-42507-1-5.7z and MCM BugFix 2-42507-.7z match)

If you have a read exclamation next to a file in the downloads tab try to right click the mod and then select Query Info to try and get the metadata. That can help sometimes. I always install updates and bugfixes in the same folder. The general rule is if the update/bugfix requires the main file that is already installed then you click merge. If the update/bugfix does not require the main file installed then you click replace, but this is pretty rare for my guide since I'd just tell you not to even download the file that isn't required. The best example of this that I can give you is for Skyrim. Whenever there is an update to one of the unofficial patches it is a complete replacement of the prior version so you'd always use replace when installing a new version. Then, for a mod like SMIM which is at version 1.74 currently, if you had 1.72 or 1.73 already installed, then you'd get the update file instead of downloading the entire 722MB v1.74 main file to save time. Then you'd click merge when installing the 1.74 update file over the 1.72 or 1.73 version you already had installed.

As for naming folders I don't mess with that much since MO does a great of it behind the scenes. I usually don't mention it because MO can do such a good job in most circumstances that it would only add confusion to new users. I have been wanting to do a tiny section on installing updates an such, but just haven't had the time.

Thanks again, normally it works fine indeed. Perhaps it was because i used files i downloaded earlier elsewhere on my harddrive.

To continue my post with problems i encounter:

5. POCO BUENO Texture Pack

Did not pop up a file directory. Folder structure within the fomod seems to be in order (only PocoBuenoV5 folder present).

6. Collision Mesh Overhaul WIP

File not found.

7. Interior Lighting Overhaul

Pip-Boy Light Colours optional file not present.

8. Hectrol FX DUSTSTORM Deluxe HighRes Retex

Missing instructions for selecting the right folder structure during installation.

9. Mojave Nights - a moon and stars replacer

You should point out that you need the FOMOD version (although it is kinda obvious).

To be continued
PS. no need for a response, it's just my feedback

Edited by Blackice

Thanks again, normally it works fine indeed. Perhaps it was because i used files i downloaded earlier elsewhere on my harddrive.

To continue my post with problems i encounter:

Did not pop up a file directory. Folder structure within the fomod seems to be in order (only PocoBuenoV5 folder present).

It should be a .fomod inside of an archive, the .fomod needs to be extracted.

6. Collision Mesh Overhaul WIP

File not found.

Guess the author removed it.

7. Interior Lighting Overhaul

Pip-Boy Light Colours optional file not present.

Looks like it was removed, but the author might be about to update the mod.

8. Hectrol FX DUSTSTORM Deluxe HighRes Retex

Missing instructions for selecting the right folder structure during installation.

I'll see what's up with that mod.

9. Mojave Nights - a moon and stars replacer

You should point out that you need the FOMOD version (although it is kinda obvious).

To be continued

PS. no need for a response, it's just my feedback

Does aMidianBorn NV Book Of Water's Book of Steel need to be installed in the same directory as the Book of Flesh? I thought not, or at least it does not matter so i made them have their own directories.

Yeah, I should have instructions to install separately.

It should be a .fomod inside of an archive, the .fomod needs to be extracted.

It is a .fomod inside an archive. And i extracted it. However, the folder structure WITHIN that .fomod is fine. So no need to select the right folder in MO (it will not even pop up the file directory). So those instructions are not necessary at the moment.

Edited by Blackice

Some more feedback as i continue to install all the mods. I'm at the Poosh category now. You will be my hero if it all works, i'll name my game character after you! He will be a beardy redneck so i hope you're OK with that. 

10. Weapons of the New Millenia

"Get the main file and the update file."

There is no update file, only the main file and older versions.

11. Weapon Mods Expanded - WMX

"Get the WMX - Weapon Retexture Project compatibility v1_2_1"

Current version is v1.2.2

12. Animated Fan

File not found.

13. Better Metal Impact VFX

File not found.

Edited by Blackice

It is a .fomod inside an archive. And i extracted it. However, the folder structure WITHIN that .fomod is fine. So no need to select the right folder in MO (it will not even pop up the file directory). So those instructions are not necessary at the moment.

I think you have one of the installers turned off because I get an error trying to install it without choosing the data folder. MO can't see two level deep, only one. 

Posted Image

If the red text at the bottom of the install screen is there then it will not install correctly. You have to choose a data directory as the top level. The first thing you see should always be the textures, meshes, sounds... folders and the plugins (if there are any). If you install a mod without choosing the right directory then you will have a greyed out mod in the left pane of MO. That means that there is no readable date by the game because there were improper folders or something. 

Well it should be fine for me, it's not greyed out, the folder structure is fine. I don't know why but i only had the capitalized folder in my .fomod, which is the one we need. I downloaded POCO LOCO again and the .fomod still only contains one folder (with subfolders). I look into the .fomod by changing the extension to .zip. Maybe your .zip file from Nexus is corrupted?

Here's another file not found: 

14. Ragdoll Overhaul

File not found. Though probably inferior i believe PN has a basic ragdoll physics setting and Enhanced Blood Textures also has ragdoll plugins.