Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I recently set up a FLiNV profile, w/o any texture mods.  I was getting about ~24-29fps outside, dropping to ~12 whenever I look towards the (sun? center of the map? will nail down later).  I've been getting better with a heavily modded Skyrim (~40-45fps).  Disabling Nevada Skies seems to have cleared up the frame rate drop and while it's not exactly stuttering, the framerate is still sluggish and makes gunplay rely heavily on bullet time/VATS.

Try looking into not using ENB, or at least set the memory management functions (as far as I know, there are 2 that matter) to false in the .ini for that.  I don't know if you are using ENB, but that was causing major FPS/stuttering issues for me.

You can use ENB w/ 4gb Loader & NVSE through MO, and should IMHO. If your system struggles with all that select minimal fx settings in your enb preset (does Ewi65 offer his Minimal Enb preset for FNV?). Also, DDSopt-imize your vanilla or other textures (less to load to your VRAM &/or less for enb to export to RAM when necessary). I think there is an FNV DDSopt guide in the STEP wiki. EssArrBee will have better feedback, but that should give you something to work with.

Hey guys, Just recently started a new let's play using Fear and Loathing step guide plus the recommended MCM settings. Please come check it out at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_DHpZp_SAw

Have just seen it. Pretty good, please post when you upload the next episodes. And liked the ENB you're using - really catches that nevada sun feel I've been missing. I'll be trying that one out.

You can use ENB w/ 4gb Loader & NVSE through MO, and should IMHO. If your system struggles with all that select minimal fx settings in your enb preset (does Ewi65 offer his Minimal Enb preset for FNV?). Also, DDSopt-imize your vanilla or other textures (less to load to your VRAM &/or less for enb to export to RAM when necessary). I think there is an FNV DDSopt guide in the STEP wiki. EssArrBee will have better feedback, but that should give you something to work with.

Well IMHO, doing that won't work well and will give you horrible stuttering.  That's what it does on my system.  The only thing that fixes the problem is disabling two of the memory settings in one of the enb's .ini files (I forget the names of the settings).  I spent hours adjusting the settings and it all comes down to those two memory settings.  It's probably a conflict with 4gb Loader, but I never ran the modded game successfully without the 4gb Loader - it's required, as far as I know just to start the modded game.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Texture size wouldn't affect FPS rate AFAIK.

You have to use 4x as many threads to render a texture 2x the resolution. If you don't have enough threads it will bog down your framerate. This is usually not a problem with with interiors because there is no distant terrain to render.

Hey guys, Just recently started a new let's play using Fear and Loathing step guide plus the recommended MCM settings. Please come check it out at:

Cool I'll check it out when I've got some time. FTL has gotten its hooks into ATM.

Well IMHO, doing that won't work well and will give you horrible stuttering. That's what it does on my system. The only thing that fixes the problem is disabling two of the memory settings in one of the enb's .ini files (I forget the names of the settings). I spent hours adjusting the settings and it all comes down to those two memory settings. It's probably a conflict with 4gb Loader, but I never ran the modded game successfully without the 4gb Loader - it's required, as far as I know just to start the modded game.

It differs from system to system and that is the biggest issue for troubleshooting. It's almost like Boris developed enb for specific architectures. Other stuff has to pretty much be run in compatibility mode or something.

Though if you use the -laa etc argument as the guide suggests, it doesn't create the exes directory. So you just throw all the files in main directory. At least that's what I've been doing...

Edited by Nozzer66