Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Hello, I just wanted to say that I got the guide up and running and it seems pretty stable to me. 

I have never played FNL before, so this is my first playthrough and dont know what to expect, and I had a few questions.

1) What ENB should I use that is compatible with this guide.  In Skyrim Realvision worked great for me.

2) The only thing that is very jarring to me, is character creation.   I am used to more hairstyles etc (apaachi from skyrim etc).  Do you have a recommendation for a beard/brow/hair/facegen mod that would be compatible with whatever you already have in your guide.  It doesn't need to be perfect, but i'd like to get this done before I play.

2)  You need to idiot proof a few more sections of your guide.

A few that gave me problems (and keep in mind I have experience from Skyrim Revisited)

~ Several mods have bad file structures when installing with MO.  I knew what to do, but perhaps not everyone does.  You tell people this in some sections, but not in others, which can be confusing

~ The spice of life mod requires bsa extraction, and then hiding of the bsa file. This caused a hard crash of FNV

~ In the Wrye flash section, you write  "For Import Names leave Fallout.esm unticked."  I believe this is a typo.  It should be falloutNV.esm.

~After Wrye Flash is over, most of the mods that were merged are unticked afterwards.  I assume this is fine, but perhaps a section on the need to keep them unticked.

I found this mod - haven't tested it but it sounds cool:

Manual Reload - supposedly makes it so that guns will never automatically reload (even after putting them away and taking them back out), and thus you always have to press the reload button in order to reload a weapon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37090/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D37090&pUp=1

Hello, I just wanted to say that I got the guide up and running and it seems pretty stable to me. 

I have never played FNL before, so this is my first playthrough and dont know what to expect, and I had a few questions.

1) What ENB should I use that is compatible with this guide.  In Skyrim Realvision worked great for me.

Enhanced Shaders, Diablotherium, or Viradia (Vividian ENB for FNV).

2) The only thing that is very jarring to me, is character creation.   I am used to more hairstyles etc (apaachi from skyrim etc).  Do you have a recommendation for a beard/brow/hair/facegen mod that would be compatible with whatever you already have in your guide.  It doesn't need to be perfect, but i'd like to get this done before I play.

Never tried to use Mikoto's or Lings with FCO, so I can't tell you if they are compatible.

2)  You need to idiot proof a few more sections of your guide.

A few that gave me problems (and keep in mind I have experience from Skyrim Revisited)

~ Several mods have bad file structures when installing with MO.  I knew what to do, but perhaps not everyone does.  You tell people this in some sections, but not in others, which can be confusing

I know about this, but I forgot to start writing them all in, so I'd have to go back through every mod to see which are offenders. I added the more complicated ones to guide though.

~ The spice of life mod requires bsa extraction, and then hiding of the bsa file. This caused a hard crash of FNV

This is just not true, and I would not recommend the extraction of this mod or Willow. Pick something else to extract.

~ In the Wrye flash section, you write  "For Import Names leave Fallout.esm unticked."  I believe this is a typo.  It should be falloutNV.esm.

ty

~After Wrye Flash is over, most of the mods that were merged are unticked afterwards.  I assume this is fine, but perhaps a section on the need to keep them unticked.

I thought the bashed patcher tells you when it asks to merge the mods?

I try pretty hard to bumb stuff down, but it takes lots of time to write that stuff over and over, so I try to do it a bit at a time. It is hard to know how much to dumb things down because I know to much about modding to myself in that mindset.

If there was a better third person mechanic I'd put more cosmetics in, but Skyrim was the first game where Beth really got the engine to be smooth enough for third person. Hopefully, Fallout 4 continues that. I want Mass Effect 3 type of over the shoulder smoothness, but I'm afraid that Bioware might have better coders than Bethesda. You could start with something Mikoto's or Ling's Pretty Things, but I can't give support since I just don't if they work with FCO, Dumber would be the guy to ask.

Hey Ess, will you be adding Realistic Weapons Damages into the guide? Have you watched this video from Gopher?

I'll consider just about anything, but I'm not doing any testing for another day probably. I'm taking a couple days now that I've done a bunch of updates to F&L and pushed out STEP 2.2.9. First is going to be the DDSopt instructions for FNV, that is probably something I'll have out by the end of week. Just making myself actually write is up is hard though, after writing so much for the STEP update. I need to probably take a real break from modding for a bit so I'm not feeling so burnt out on it.

I found this mod - haven't tested it but it sounds cool:

Manual Reload - supposedly makes it so that guns will never automatically reload (even after putting them away and taking them back out), and thus you always have to press the reload button in order to reload a weapon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37090/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D37090&pUp=1

I have looked at this. Guess I just never considered adding it because auto reloading just didn't seem to matter to me when the game has VATS, or bullet time with PN.

Woohoo, everybody!!! The same day STEP 2.2.9 launches I hit 20K in page views for F&L.

I don't have any real type of way to know how many people are enjoying the guide, so I just go off page views. Never thought it would have that many that fast.

Heya, thanks for the recommendations.   So we definitely have an issue with the spice of life mod then.

I have downloaded it several times, and leaving the .bsa unextracted causes a hard crash before the intro scene. Extraction on the other hand produced no visible error.  This was in fact, the only file that created a problem in the whole load order.

I just rechecked and redl'ed it and verified the same behaviour (even without the patch file).  Not entirely sure what's going on there...

Heya, thanks for the recommendations.   So we definitely have an issue with the spice of life mod then.

I have downloaded it several times, and leaving the .bsa unextracted causes a hard crash before the intro scene. Extraction on the other hand produced no visible error.  This was in fact, the only file that created a problem in the whole load order.

I just rechecked and redl'ed it and verified the same behaviour (even without the patch file).  Not entirely sure what's going on there...

It's one of the last BSAs that loads with the guide's install order. It could just be to many plugin loaded BSAs. If you install another mod with a BSA after Spice of Life, then the game might not load. It's a really tricky limitation to nail down and has caused me to pull out more hair than I'd like to admit. 

It's one of the last BSAs that loads with the guide's install order. It could just be to many plugin loaded BSAs. If you install another mod with a BSA after Spice of Life, then the game might not load. It's a really tricky limitation to nail down and has caused me to pull out more hair than I'd like to admit. 

Ok, i'll verify that I have properly extracted all .bsas per the guide's recommendation to make sure that its not something else.

Ok, i'll verify that I have properly extracted all .bsas per the guide's recommendation to make sure that its not something else.

Yep, it was another .bsa that was not extracted.  It runs properly now.  Truly odd, but thanks!

Updates FYI;

EVE 1.15b is available.

- Laser Rifle Beamsplitter Fix: fixes a problem where a Scope is mistakenly shown when only a Beamsplitter has been installed in a Laser Rifle- EVEified Holy Frag Grenade Explosion- Fixed the Nuke Explosions to not have a Abraxo Cleaner show up

NVAC 6.9.0.0 is available

6.9.0.0- Added heuristic detection support for MOVAPS / MOVUPS / MOVDQA / MOVDQU XMM?, OWORD PTR [?].- Improved recovery from null pointer call, null instruction and middle of nowhere exceptions.- Improved log output on null pointer call recovery failure.- Removed support for address 00401992; it was slow and is now handled automatically.- Narrowed circumstances to output message for Missing Master (0046158A) error.- Improved recovery and added log output for a Disabled object w/ LOD (006FCF03) error.- Added an out of memory check to exceptions related to address 00D1F29C.- More changes to game error message logging; these will likely change further.

6.8.0.0- Memory check added to exceptions related to address 00AAA60A.- Made log truncation threshold smaller (from 16 KB to 8 KB).- More changes to game error message logging; these will likely change further.- Minor code optimizations.- Moved inliner address list to read-only data section.

6.7.0.0- Added divide by zero exception support.- Added preliminary stack overflow exception support; this will be improved.- Increased game INI setting length limit (intended for sArchiveList, from 255 to 8191).- Altered specific game error message logging; these will likely change further.- Minor code optimizations.

NVB I 1.54 is available.

- Adjusted Sweet Revenge's FOV based on Gopher's recommendation

Willow 1.06 is available.

Wrye Flash 15.9 is available

Advantage Tracking Centre.

Edited by redirishlord
  • +1 1

For Realistic Weapon Damages, I'm not sure if it would conflict with Project Nevada. I'm pretty sure it's got a MCM menu where you can select whether that having things like helmets changes headshots more lethal along with explosions knock npcs on their ass.

Still, it sounds good but if Project Nevada does most of that anyway then there's little point.

To counter the guy suggesting Manual Reload.

I offer this as an alternative instead. https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52366/?

Good find.

BTW - EssArrBee and Kelmych, do you two believe that DDSOpting the texture mods in the current F&L guide is going to make a significant difference in the framerates for most people?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Good find.

BTW - EssArrBee and Kelmych, do you two believe that DDSOpting the texture mods in the current F&L guide is going to make a significant difference in the framerates for most people?

Yes, actually I've begun testing Optimized textures today. I propose that if you want to get a better framerate outdoors then use 1k exteriors. You can keep 2k interiors unless your system is really weak. I haven't had a dedicated desktop computer for gaming in about a year now, so I just use my laptop and try to get performance over 30FPS. I've been getting about 10 extra FPS in Freeside with 1k exteriors, so I will be recommending that for mid to low range systems. Someone with a high end system will have to attest to the viability of using 2k exteriors because I won't be able to test that any time soon.

There seems to something up with Poco Bueno exteriors being reduced though. They look at little blurry and washed out, but I don't know why. Maybe because they have been reduced from their Ojo Bueno origins.

One option for right now might be to use the bat files Kelmych made to divide up the NMC medium files, then delete the exteriors from it. Install the Small pack normally then install the a repacked Medium pack without the exteriors so the Small pack's exteriors are used. That will give you 2k interiors and 1k exteriors. Optimization for NMC's doesn't really do very much since he seems to do it anyways.

For Skyrim with a 2GB graphics card i was typically reducing all exterior textures to 1K. With a 4GB card I have been reducing only the exterior normal map textures to 1K. I've had fewer problems with FNV. I used Ojo Nueno textures without much problem with a 2GB card. Textures like NMC, Ojo Bueno, and Paco Bueno are likely to be sufficiently optimized as SRB mentioned. The batch files allow using different resolution versions of a mod for exterior textures and the rest of the textures to reduce the need for unnecessary optimization and size reduction with DDSopt.