Better Dwemer Spider Textures (by Naitrii)

egocarib

Discussion thread:

Better Dwemer Spider Textures by Naitrii
Wiki Link

(edit by rootsrat):

This mod provides higher-resolution version of the Dwemer Spider. Available resolutions are 2K and 4K. You can meet them mostly in the interior cells. 

In current STEP version (2.2.8 / 2.2.9) only UHRP delivers these textures.

OP (egocarib):
These really speak for themselves. :turned:

Nexus

Compares: 

STEP (UHRP)    >>    Better Dwemer Spider Textures

Spider1_zpsc3ba43be.png  >>  Spider2_zps44a91bff.png
Spider3_zps3d1478df.png  >>  Spider4_zpsb51d6d43.png
Spider5_zpsb14af2e2.png  >>  Spider6_zps15816505.png

Spider7_zps037d2862.png  >>  Spider8_zps69f2bc5a.png
Spider9_zps1bd9a669.png  >>  Spider10_zps8835d524.png

• +1 2

• 3 months later...

Why aren't we testing this? This is great retexture, should be in STEP. Currently UHRP provides these textures for STEP. It's a quick test, no brainer really. I will be actually able to provide the compares maybe even today.

::EDIT::

Ok, I edited the OP and posted my compares. They were done on my STEP Extended 2.2.8 Profile.

To me the choice is clear, I'm keeping this in my load order :)

We had said that testing was closed for 2.2.9, which would probably explain its absence from testing :;):

Looking at the compares, I'm not sure they're worth the 24 mb. Also, I wish they weren't so much lighter in color, and the purple gem instead of red stands out a bit.

We had said that testing was closed for 2.2.9, which would probably explain its absence from testing :;):

Looking at the compares, I'm not sure they're worth the 24 mb. Also, I wish they weren't so much lighter in color, and the purple gem instead of red stands out a bit.

My exact thoughts on this mod. I really with authors that go through the trouble of making hi-res textures and decide to changes colors and such would at the very least offer a vanilla friendly version of the texture as well instead of only their stylistic changes.

My exact thoughts on this mod. I really with authors that go through the trouble of making hi-res textures and decide to changes colors and such would at the very least offer a vanilla friendly version of the texture as well instead of only their stylistic changes.

Got to admit that after these few days of compare shots across quite a few mods, then it seems that unless something is essentially just a rescale then it is not good enough. For the next version of the guide I think we should have a debate on getting a more clearly defined "acceptable style change"... It makes no sense to expect that talented people just do rescales of vanilla any more. 

Also I do not agree with your apparent definition of "vanilla friendly" in this case... I would say this mod is VERY vanilla friendly! There are not radical design changes... I still find that this mod blends in nicely with other dwemer textures. 

That said then the size should really not be a relevant issue... it is always far better to have a base file of high quality then alter the compression and size manually. We do it for just about every texture.. so I fail to see how this is an issue. Also 2k for an enemy model.. that is mainly only present inside interiors... even smaller laptops would not have a problem with that since the interior memory requirements are so paltry. 

Hope that all made some sense hehe! 

Got to admit that after these few days of compare shots across quite a few mods, then it seems that unless something is essentially just a rescale then it is not good enough. For the next version of the guide I think we should have a debate on getting a more clearly defined "acceptable style change"... It makes no sense to expect that talented people just do rescales of vanilla any more. 

Also I do not agree with your apparent definition of "vanilla friendly" in this case... I would say this mod is VERY vanilla friendly! There are not radical design changes... I still find that this mod blends in nicely with other dwemer textures. 

That said then the size should really not be a relevant issue... it is always far better to have a base file of high quality then alter the compression and size manually. We do it for just about every texture.. so I fail to see how this is an issue. Also 2k for an enemy model.. that is mainly only present inside interiors... even smaller laptops would not have a problem with that since the interior memory requirements are so paltry. 

Hope that all made some sense hehe! 

Style changes are already covered in this statement on the Mandate for Core under what it is NOT about: "... mods that subjectively alter or contrast with the style of vanilla Skyrim."

Besides the hi-res texture, all of the changes here are subjective. Color, contrast, tint, brightness, etc It's all the authors vision, not the direction that Bethesda set for vanilla.

This could be tested for Extended as long as the change in that stone color doesn't contradict anything in lore about the stone suppose to being red (power source, etc).

I do suppose we could discuss how ridge we want to be because there are some mods in Core that changes the "shade" or "contrast" of some colors; however, nothing in Core makes complete changes from, say, red to purple.