Better Dwemer Spider Textures (by Naitrii)

egocarib

I do suppose we could discuss how ridge we want to be because there are some mods in Core that changes the "shade" or "contrast" of some colors; however, nothing in Core makes complete changes from, say, red to purple.

What about Whiterun windows? VW changes them to yellow..    *runs for cover*

Most of the aMidianborn armors are also a pretty significant shift in "color, contrast, tint, brightness, etc" generally with very different accent details than what's on the vanilla items.  SMIM textures completely alter the designs on certain items.  Whiterun Trellis Redesigned is a significant departure from the design of the vanilla trellis.  Jewels of the Nord and Gemling Queen both add designs to the rings that aren't present at all in vanilla.  Several of the rug designs in Detailed Rugs are complete departures from the vanilla design.  Etc.

The degree of rigidity in applying this rule does seem highly variable from one mod to another.  I think some further discussion and clarification would be nice.

• +1 2

Is it wrong to feel like if you are going to do one thing, you should do all of it? It would at least "feel" better to have all of the Dwemer automatons with the same texture shades. Makes sense to me at least that you would use slightly different alloy contents for constructs than for normal building, and it is certainly getting changed when worked by normal smiths into armor. 

The biggest issue with most textures is they look amazing in a vacuum, but look bad and out of place when placed with others.

I don't think this should be left out of STEP because it changes color. I think it should be left out because the current STEP color is better. I think that overall the textures are better and that they have higher fidelity, but I just think the current colors are much better overall and that I don't look up close on these things enough to notice the higher resolution.

Settings color alterations aside for a moment, I'd be concerned with re-texturing the spider independant of the other dwemer textures, it's bound to look out of place in contrast. Perhaps if all dwarven automatons were being treated, maybe subtle differences to the dwarven architecture and clutter might be acceptable, but re-texturing the spider alone seems odd.

Well at least I've managed to ignite a discussion ;)

At least this time we are not going to go about much with realism! Since well.. it is robots in a fantasy setting! 

That said then I agree it would be best if all the dwemer stuff got a nice boost. They to tend to look like they could use some love. 

Perhaps once I am done playing with icicles I will try my hand at it! 

I might have it wrong, but aren't these spiders craftable? Then it would make sense for them to be shinier, tidy, less rusty etc. The rest of the stuff is apparently several thousands years old, so...

edit:

I got it all confused with a mod that makes the spider a craftable follower.

Edited by Octopuss

If you read the lore about the Dwemer, they used arcane knowledge which is now lost to create these constructs - they are not just put together from kits by mechanics. Their programming and energy sources and how the soul gems link into that is not something that the player could pick up easily.

If you read the lore about the Dwemer, they used arcane knowledge which is now lost to create these constructs - they are not just put together from kits by mechanics. Their programming and energy sources and how the soul gems link into that is not something that the player could pick up easily.

I would still like to see a decent mod that makes it possible though. I have seen 2, one was buggy and the other just turned them into basic summons. A real "workshop" type mod that allowed you to build companion bots would be pretty cool.

Which is why it makes no sense that you can craft Dwemer armor/weapons! Who exactly gives such advance knowledge to the player? 

Here's what it would look like with current STEP:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Which is why it makes no sense that you can craft Dwemer armor/weapons! Who exactly gives such advance knowledge to the player? 

Here's what it would look like with current STEP:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Actually, the player already is given the ability to construct these objects in the Dawnguard DLC at the Aetherial Forge. You craft a staff that allows you to create these little spiders and spheres. None to create the big boys, however.