A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Actually, scratch that. I was thinking about Windhelm Lighthouse (confused them because they're both by MannyGT and the high hrothgar mod was going to be merged as well at first, before I decided against it)

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was about to get excited about freeing up an esp slot, lol.

Ok, I looked at my papyrus log, and I found out a few things... First of all, I had ****ed up some stuff about SkyRe and Complete Crafting Overhaul, so I had a lot of script errors because of that. I also found out that at the end of all my crash logs, not only outside of Whiterun, I had a problem with a script from "Birds and Flocks Hearthfire Edition", which I installed as part as STEP. Not sure if it really means anything, but I thought it was worth a shot so I did some digging around, and found that the mod "skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds" apparently fixes some scripts there, so I installed it.

On top of it, reinstalled enb and SKSE with the ini-tweaks for the memory patch.

And now it doesn't seem crash anymore. I have no idea what did it, but it seems like it's working now... I'm not sure what made this pack trigger the problems, but apparently it was not this patch in itself that did it. Guess it was just some combination of this with some other mods and a lot of bad luck...

Which leads me to an issue... Do you guys think I should start a new game with (hopefully) everything working, or should it be possible to continue with my game? I'm only level 8, so it's not _that_ many hours, I guess...

I have a question about the load order. I use Loot and the Modular Morrowloot Overhaul, and I was wondering id I should let loot sort all of the plugins, or if I should order them in a certain way.

For following the REGS guide, you should probably just make sure that anywhere it specifically says what order things should go, make sure the LOOT order complies with that and make adjustments if necessary.  Anything else is probably fairly safe to let LOOT sort it however it will.  

But something to keep in mind...right now LOOT, in my opinion, does require a little more knowledge on the part of the user to make sure things are ordered correctly.  It infers the proper load order based on the actual contents of the mods, and it generally does a good job of putting things in a decent order.   But, there are two situations where things sometimes break down...  (there is also a possibility of a technical issue that LOOT misses, but this is not all that common).

First is where a compatibility patch assumes that the original mods will be in a specific order...LOOT may not necessarily order it that way.  One example of this is the ETaC - Winterhold & EWDR patch.  There are a number of overlapping records between the two that are not addressed in the compatibility patch.  It is assumed (I think) that ETaC will be first, then EWDR, and the patch addresses cases where the ETaC records are preferable over EWDR.  But, if LOOT put those in the other order, then you would have very different results.

Second is when two mods have overlapping edits and the order is arbitrary from a technical standpoint (as-in, either way will not cause any errors), but one order may be preferable for some non-technical reason (aesthetics, cohesion, etc.).  An example here is ELFX and RCRN.  These will technically work no matter which order you put them, but it looks better if you put ELFX after RCRN.

Because the LOOT order can change based on what is in your load order, with the absence of any other rules to dictate the order, these sorts of situations may go one way for one person, and a different way for a different person.  So, it is important with LOOT that you do some sanity checking and make sure the order makes sense.  If something seems out of line, you can download the BOSS masterlist as a text file and look at how it ordered things.  It is also really helpful if you can look at a compatibility patch in TES5Edit and understand what it is doing to make things compatible, and understand what assumptions it makes about the original mods.

Edit:  Now that I think of it, I may have been wrong about LOOT requiring more knowledge.  BOSS was even less trustworthy than LOOT...

Edited by noobzor

I've only ran into one issue so far with LOOT and it was a matter where LOOT would have had to be psychic in order to sort the mod a certain way. It had to do with a Smithing Skill Tree Override Patch for SPERG and Smithing Perks - COMPLETE.

A simple User Rule took care of the issue.

Which leads me to an issue... Do you guys think I should start a new game with (hopefully) everything working, or should it be possible to continue with my game? I'm only level 8, so it's not _that_ many hours, I guess...

I think it would probably be okay to keep going on your current game.  I don't know of anything in REGS that involves changes to scripts that run on starting a new game.  It's worth a shot anyway...

phryxolydian, on 26 May 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

Is Northern Bathhouses compatible with ETaC?

I asked about that many pages back. The short answer is "no". Navmesh nightmare issues with the Dawns of Series and some other REGs Cities stuff. CJ had looked into it, his response is somewhere around here.

Ah, here it is:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4622-northern-bathhouses-by-dourdendevire/?hl=%2Bnorthern+%2Bbathhouses&do=findComment&comment=74244

Edited by Kuldebar

Northern Bathhouses isn't compatible with ETaC right now, but Jénna is considering adding it to the "mods to be patched", so I might just go ahead and patch it next, seeing as I'm done with the Wet & Cold - Holidays patch for that.

However, that's a mod that I would not add to my load order (or to the guide), simply because of the way the undressing scripts and the packages are handled. You're likely to end up with a ****-ton of naked NPCs running around.

The mod author changed his stance towards patches, so I actually considered adding to REGS, that's when I saw these issues. (Also, it's incompatible with Realistic Room Rental, Skyrim Sewers, and the Dawn of Windhelm navmesh-wise, as stated in the post linked to by Kuldebar)

phryxolydian, on 26 May 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

Speaking of ETaC, do the farmhouses use different paths than Vanilla? I noticed that Corinna.. or Coriana or, you know, the cook lady from Riverwood.. her shops' ropes were as flat as a stamp, clearly not using SMIM's.

Yeah, they aren't getting SMiMed.

Posted Image