A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Just outside the Temple of Talos, past the Treasury House.

Did a quick run of Markarth city and no I don't see the issue when running down the steps from the Treasury House and then up to the Temple of Talos. Its probably a mesh/texture conflict - when you uninstalled ELFX Exteriors did you do a full re-install of ELFX with just the interiors or did you simply remove the exteriors esp? If i remember correctly the ELFX exteriors module also edits meshes to support more shadow caster lights...

None of the mods in REGS affect Markarth, except for the Sewers mod that adds manholes there.

That mesh could be caused by Project Parallax as well, if you use that (there are a couple of meshes with problems in that mod)

As for the smelters, if you're using the cities portion of the guide, you don't need a mod to add a smelter to solitude either, seeing as how there's one included in REGS - Cities.

Possible dumb question: If I'm adding REGS to an existing mod list such as Step + Requiem Core, is it recommended to start a new game?

Edit - Basically, I'm trying to do some extended CTD squashing, so it'd be nice if I could play a character for the next few weeks without having to start afresh when I add REGS back in... 

Edited by Quinnbeast

CJ, The Breezehome Fully Upgradable mod (Nexus mod 11158) may (or may not) be a decent addition. Not sure if you looked at it, but I would assume you have since it has recently been on the front NEXUS page. It seems to fit well into your REGS pack.

Did a quick run of Markarth city and no I don't see the issue when running down the steps from the Treasury House and then up to the Temple of Talos. Its probably a mesh/texture conflict - when you uninstalled ELFX Exteriors did you do a full re-install of ELFX with just the interiors or did you simply remove the exteriors esp? If i remember correctly the ELFX exteriors module also edits meshes to support more shadow caster lights...

I just uninstalled ELFX Exteriors. Should I reinstall ELFX, then?

None of the mods in REGS affect Markarth, except for the Sewers mod that adds manholes there.That mesh could be caused by Project Parallax as well, if you use that (there are a couple of meshes with problems in that mod)As for the smelters, if you're using the cities portion of the guide, you don't need a mod to add a smelter to solitude either, seeing as how there's one included in REGS - Cities.

Hmm, I did think everything looked exactly the same. I do use Project Parallax, I also thought this was CORE included but now I can't find it anywhere  :huh:

AH, really? Well, if I get DoR to work I'll get rid of Smelters. Thanks for putting up with all my noobness, CJ!

I don't want to add to a small pile of questions, but in my test (hopefully to become "real") play through that I finally started, I'm experiencing some really strange things and wanted to check with other who've installed most or all of the REGS guide mods.

A bit of background. I'm not using a "pure" STEP:Core or Extended set of mods, but a good majority of what I am using are in the STEP guide. I really hate doing this, but just in case, here's my current active modlist in Mod Organizer, here's my list of SKSE .dll plugins, and here's my current load order.

I started the play through using Live Another Life and chose the "Shipwrecked!" start, leading me to hit Dawnstar first. Nothing out of the normal happened there, and the LAL quest to learn more about the rumors of war around Helgen led me to Solitude, and then over to find a guy named Sam in Dragon Bridge - and that's where I encountered some very strange things that I want to ask about.

When I first got to Dragon Bridge, things seems normal, but as the day progressed, I found that some NPCs decided it was best just to stand in the middle of the road, outside Four Shields Tavern. This included some NPCs placed in the village, and also some supplied by Relio Savinni's Populated Lands Roads Paths mod.

Then, inside Four Shields Tavern, I found three NPCs who just don't talk at all - Bartuk and Herlus from The Shadow of Merisis, and Marcus Corvinus from ETaC.

Now as I sit here far from home, I realize that perhaps Bartuk & Herlus aren't meant to say anything until the SoM quest is started, and I haven't done that yet, so I guess I'll have to try starting the quest to see if that gets them talking.

But then with Marcus Corvinus, who is placed by ETaC, wouldn't talk while in Four Shields, but later when he's out doing his blacksmithing thing, he has the normal merchant lines. Also, another NPC placed by ETaC, Bjorsi, will speak to me, but for his "I've been hunting and fishing..." lines, there's no voice, only subtitles. Only when I get to his impatient NPC lines "I'm waiting..." does he actually have a voice.

Checking all of these NPCs in TES5Edit, I don't see anything jumping out at me as to why they would exhibit these behaviors, but I must admit I'm nowhere near fully understanding how NPC records should be set up correctly.

The last thing I noticed IS something that I found in TES5Edit to be an "issue," which is that the Dragonmourn Inn in Dragon Bridge South, which is supplied by Fight Against the Thalmor IV, does not have any ownership flag set, and so everything inside the Inn can be freely taken. I feel that is just far too generous, so I went in and gave the main Dragonmourn Inn cell record (Form ID xx000D62) an ownership flag of the "Dragonmourn Inn" faction (Form ID xx011F8A), which is what I suspect Mad Frenchie probably intended to do. Sure enough, when I went back in, everything now has the steal option rather than pick up option, and stealing causes the inn inhabitants to go aggro on me.

I must say, looking through the comments thread on Nexus for FAtT-IV, it only served to make me feel nervous about having this mod installed. There are a number of comments from people saying their screen went black at one point in the quest and stayed stuck that way or their in-game music got stuck on one track or the music stopped playing completely.

Any information on these things would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather throw out my Level 8 character now, fix things and start over, than to much later find out the save game has been nuked.

Edited by keithinhanoi

Now as I sit here far from home, I realize that perhaps Bartuk & Herlus aren't meant to say anything until the SoM quest is started, and I haven't done that yet, so I guess I'll have to try starting the quest to see if that gets them talking.

Good guess, you effectively need to do that quest for them to speak to you.

But then with Marcus Corvinus, who is placed by ETaC, wouldn't talk while in Four Shields, but later when he's out doing his blacksmithing thing, he has the normal merchant lines. Also, another NPC placed by ETaC, Bjorsi, will speak to me, but for his "I've been hunting and fishing..." lines, there's no voice, only subtitles. Only when I get to his impatient NPC lines "I'm waiting..." does he actually have a voice.

I'll report those two to Jenna. For the record, the blacksmith is not talking because his eating or his sandboxing package must be lacking the "greet player" behavior, and the other NPC probably uses a voicetype that doesn't have hunter lines recorded for it.

The last thing I noticed IS something that I found in TES5Edit to be an "issue," which is that the Dragonmourn Inn in Dragon Bridge South, which is supplied by Fight Against the Thalmor IV, does not have any ownership flag set, and so everything inside the Inn can be freely taken. I feel that is just far too generous, so I went in and gave the main Dragonmourn Inn cell record (Form ID xx000D62) an ownership flag of the "Dragonmourn Inn" faction (Form ID xx011F8A), which is what I suspect Mad Frenchie probably intended to do. Sure enough, when I went back in, everything now has the steal option rather than pick up option, and stealing causes the inn inhabitants to go aggro on me.

The Dragonmourn inn belongs to the Dragonborn (Which is why the author recommends not playing that quest until you get to the Thalmor embassy). This should probably have been handled with a faction change, but then it would mean the mod would have to be scripted, and everyone flips their **** when you mention the word script in Skyrim modding.As for people reporting errors, I've not encountered any while playing through that mod, and I'd say that most people tend to blame their own stupidity on the first mod they happen upon, I've completely stopped believing "reports" on the nexus for that reason.

Man, I want to jump of happiness! I just went to Whiterun since first installing ETaC, BCE and Dawn of Whiterun. It's just.. WOW! I love it! I absolutely love DoW. It makes Whiterun feel so different with all the different merchants and Ysgramor's statue and all that little things. Now I have to do the Gildergreen quest and it'll be perfect!

I never got DoR to work for me, it wouldn't long before I would get HUGE stutters (VM completely frozen) when I turned to look down at the canal. A real shame because I really loved the concept (again). I saved inside the Bee and Barb and installed DoR and when I went out first thing that greeted me was a rat running about, I thought: YES! But I don't know what it is that is causing all those macro-stutters in Riften and not in Whiterun (I read you removed this because it was causing CTDs?). It's a strange game this Skyrim we all love and it can be truly spectacular with mods such as the Dawn of.. series. Well, this definitely gets my hopes up for Dawb if Windhelm, I hope it works!

Hi,

I just recently discovered REGS, but I have been using at least half of these mods for a while.  This is a really great guide, and the compatibility patches are top notch.  Thanks to this guide, I have discovered a few more mods that I wasn't familiar with and (I think) will now become an inseparable part of my lineup.

I also had some questions about "Fight against the Thalmor II" and Sky Haven Temple/Paarthurnax related stuff in the REGS guide, but I think I found all the answers I was seeking in earlier posts.

Thank you!

Edited by noobzor

Ok I definitely messed up somewhere because I'm pretty sure this is NOT suppose to happen. That's at the Dawnstar inn. Btw, incredible overhaul for Dawnstar, the market, the docks. So good. I am still undecided about the textures used but it does make Dawnstar unique, they look a bit too clean imo, and I thought the NSUtR patch was for sweeped version but this one doesn't look bad either. Only other thing I found worng was that the door from the Mythic Dawn Museum doesn't have any collision flag, I think, that dude was talking to me with only his feet showing outside the door..

I'll report those two to Jenna. For the record, the blacksmith is not talking because his eating or his sandboxing package must be lacking the "greet player" behavior, and the other NPC probably uses a voicetype that doesn't have hunter lines recorded for it.

Hmm, well I know how to trace my way into Marcus Corvinus' package(s) - maybe there's one for behavior in Four Shields, so I'll check if he does indeed have the greet player flag set. As for the Bjorsi NPC voice type - I remember seeing that, but how do I discover what lines any particular voice type has recorded for it? Maybe this is a good time for me to check out FOllower Commentary Overhaul, as I remember reading that can also expand the lines of some non-follower NPCs... (?) 

The Dragonmourn inn belongs to the Dragonborn (Which is why the author recommends not playing that quest until you get to the Thalmor embassy). This should probably have been handled with a faction change, but then it would mean the mod would have to be scripted, and everyone flips their **** when you mention the word script in Skyrim modding.

Well, if you hadn't told me that the Dragonmourn Inn belongs to ME, I never would have guessed it.It's an inn, and iNeed said I was hungry and sleepy, so in I went to serve my needs. When I saw that I could take anything I wanted, I felt like a kid in a candy story with an "all-day-free-pass". It just didn't seem fair to me. So, I'll remove my faction "fix" after I've started the mod I guess to keep my vices in check.I get what you're saying about the faction change, but couldn't that be accomplished with some kind of conditional that is linked to progression in the mod's questline? 

As for people reporting errors, I've not encountered any while playing through that mod, and I'd say that most people tend to blame their own stupidity on the first mod they happen upon, I've completely stopped believing "reports" on the nexus for that reason.

Yeah, I agree totally. But this is one of those cases where some number of people are reporting pretty much the same really strange things happening with the mod, all relating to visiting a cave that's part of the mod's quest. Anyhow, there's only one way to find out I suppose - and who knows, maybe I can find the fix if there really is some problem there...Thanks for the reply, CJ!

Man, I want to jump of happiness! I just went to Whiterun since first installing ETaC, BCE and Dawn of Whiterun. It's just.. WOW! I love it! I absolutely love DoW. It makes Whiterun feel so different with all the different merchants and Ysgramor's statue and all that little things. Now I have to do the Gildergreen quest and it'll be perfect! I never got DoR to work for me, it wouldn't long before I would get HUGE stutters (VM completely frozen) when I turned to look down at the canal.

This is really strange, because CJ took DoW out of the REGS guide due to a notable impact on performance for himself and others (including me.) But we've not seen the same issue with DoR. Edited by keithinhanoi

Help! I get a CTD every time I try to start the Hunt and Gather quest with Wylandriah, the court wizard in Riften. I get to the part where she says "Well... why are you still standing there? Right you need to know where to look." And then it CTDs. I have tried 3 times and it's the same every time. I'm running Skyrim Revisited + REGS with a couple of additions, none that should cause CTDs (iNeed and Dynavision). I'm also using an ENB. I am using Live Another Life and started as a thief in Riften. Does anyone have a similar problem?

OK I reinstalled ETaC completely, don't know where I messed up but I could enter the inn normally, only to realize that there was a fountain mashed up with the inn's counter. Figured ELFX had something to do so I reinstalled ELFX, no exteriors this time and sure enough, there's a No Taverns esp. But why is there an ELFX patch for RRR if there's a No Taverns esp from ELFX? Do I need to use both? And while I'm at it, which of these esps would be safe to merge together? Are the DG and DB patches for ELFX safe to merge with ELFX, or the RRR-ELFX with the No Taverns? 

EDIT: Installed No Tavers by ELFX, problem is still there. Here's what I'm getting. Am I missing any patches? 

[spoiler=Temporary load order (on the process of creating merged patches)]# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.Skyrim.esmUpdate.esmUnofficial Skyrim Patch.espDawnguard.esmUnofficial Dawnguard Patch.espHearthFires.esmUnofficial Hearthfire Patch.espDragonborn.esmUnofficial Dragonborn Patch.espSkyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esmClimatesOfTamriel.esmETaC - RESOURCES.esmREGS - Resources.esmWeapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.espClothing & Clutter Fixes.espChesko_Frostfall.espBetter Dynamic Snow.espIceBreaker's Improved Reverb-v0.02-Cleaned.espIHSS.espImmersive Sounds - Aural Assortment.esprealrainextended.espFantasySoundtrackProject.espFantasySoundtrackProjectCombatMusic.espCutting Room Floor.espStaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.espTradeBarter.espAshRocks.espAuto Unequip Ammo.espBLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions.espBring Out Your Dead.espDead Body Collision.espdonorcollegejoin.espDungeonQuestAwareness.espEpisodeParallax.espHigh Level Enemies - Legendary PLUS.espImmersive Battles.espImmersive Brigands.espImmersive Dawnguard.espImmersive Dragonborn.espImmersive Factions.espImmersive Mercenaries.espImmersive Patrols.espImmersive Travelers.espImmersive Werewolves.espPilgrimsDelight.espPopulated Lands Roads Paths.espSkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.espSmelter_Riften & Solitude.espSulfurRocks.espTraps Make Noise.espNoxUE2.00.espRaceMenu.espRaceMenuPlugin.espSkyUI.espiHUD.esp1nivWICCloaksNoGuards.espExplosiveBoltsVisualized.espImproved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.espimp_helm_imp.espimp_guard_helm.espNightingaleArrows.espSmithing Perks Overhaul_Remade.espComplete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.espCCO_WAFTrueWeapons_Patch.espCCO_Frostfall_Patch.espHarvestOverhaulDawnguardDragonborn.espHarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfireDragonborn.espDeadlyDragons.espBetterDGEntrance.espDaggercross_Alley.espGildergreen Regrown.esphigh hrothgar overhaul.espInconsequential NPCs.espRun For Your Lives.espWhen Vampires Attack.espThe Paarthurnax Dilemma.espAcquisitive Soul Gems.espAppropriately Attired Jarls Redux.espGuard Dialogue Overhaul.espWeaponsArmorFixes_GuardDialogueOverhaul_Patch.espFCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.espSkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dawnguard.espSkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dragonborn.espSkyTEST-RealisticAnimalBehavior.espdD - Enhanced Blood Main.espdD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.espaMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.espWeaponsArmorFixes_ambSkyforge_Patch.espETaC - Complete.espRavenRockExpanded.espWhiterunAlivePiano.espREGS - Better City Entrances.espREGS - Better Docks.espUnderstone Keep Repair.espPrometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.espPrometheus_NSUTR BDS Patch.espWEBS extended.espUniqueBorderGates-All.espUniqueBorderGates-All-BetterDGEntrance.espProvincial Courier Service.espRealisticRoomRental.espREGS - Cities.espREGS Patch - CRF.espSoS - The Dungeons.espSoS - The Wilds.espREGS Patch - STEP Extended.espEnhancedLightsandFX.espELFX - NoTaverns.espELFX - Dawnguard.espELFX - Dragonborn.espClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.espClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.espClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-3.espCoT_SnowPatch_NoAurora.espELFXEnhancer.espETaC - Complete NSutR Patch.espETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.espSoS - The Wilds-PatchCoT.espSoS Dungeons - ELFX Patch.espiNeed.espPredator Vision.espImproved Dragon Shouts - Legendary.espDeadlySpellImpacts.espBetterMagic_FULL.espBetter Stealth AI for Followers.espNoSneakAttackSound.espDuel - Combat Realism.espThe Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.espStealth Skills Rebalanced_COMPLETE.espdD-No Spinning Death Animation.espFeminine Females.espSlightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.espSPTConsistentOlderPeople.espBVFE_Serana.espFollowerWander2.espYOT - Your Own Thoughts.espYOT - Frostfall Module.espNonEssentialChildren.espdD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.espSkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.espSkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.espRealisticWaterTwo.espRealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.espRRR_ELFX-Patch.espAutomatic Variants.espBashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by phryxolydian