A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

That's a good start yeah. I'm not sure how much a difference reducing SRO textures makes though, most of their exteriors are already 1k. In my experience also getting above 32-33 FPS is basically required for Skyrim to run stable on my system. If it goes lower, the chance for a crash increases exponentially with every reduction in FPS. It's possible my GPU simply can't handle the amount of throughput required and just quits.

Either way, are you using an ENB? In the little guide I just released I describe a few tweaks to Vividian ENB which have helped a lot to stabilize my game. 

Edited by Nearox

I've reduced the textures of SRO, Better Males, AMB BoS, and Alt Navetsea with pretty good results, and install SMIM half sized textures. It was pretty unbearable before getting FPS in the low 10s and after those mods, and now I'm getting in the high 20s. Still not good enough to escape a crash after 30 minutes, but better than it happening after about 5 minutes.

I'll do another 3-4 mods and see if I can get back another 10 frames. Maybe mess with the install order since I just started sticking stuff between 2.M and 2.N in my STEP Extended build.

Is that like following the DDSopt guide maybe located in the STEP Wiki (I skimmed it but over lunch on the road so I didn't retain much) type reduced textures? I'm running about 30 fps but I wouldn't mind pushing 40 (in more ways than one, but lets focus on fps right now).

So EnaiSiaion just released a bigass mod called Dwemertech. Adds spells and a bunch of cybermage upgrades, sends you to the moon, looks lore-friendly (assuming you believe the Dwemer were badass technomages). Thought it might be considered for an addition here.

I hate enaisiaion so much <. as usual looks awesome>

Is that like following the DDSopt guide maybe located in the STEP Wiki (I skimmed it but over lunch on the road so I didn't retain much) type reduced textures? I'm running about 30 fps but I wouldn't mind pushing 40 (in more ways than one, but lets focus on fps right now).

The STEP DDSopt guide is great and there'sa  tab which lists a lot (all?) of the STEP mods and their potential reductions in VRAM use if pushing them through DDSopt. Generally however reducing VRAM load will not lead to major FPS increases unless you are overloading your GPU's maximum VRAM or are nearing the limit -which can of course easily be the case if you run a lot of mods. 

Edited by Nearox

That's a good start yeah. I'm not sure how much a difference reducing SRO textures makes though, most of their exteriors are already 1k. In my experience also getting above 32-33 FPS is basically required for Skyrim to run stable on my system. If it goes lower, the chance for a crash increases exponentially with every reduction in FPS. It's possible my GPU simply can't handle the amount of throughput required and just quits.

Either way, are you using an ENB? In the little guide I just released I describe a few tweaks to Vividian ENB which have helped a lot to stabilize my game. 

No ENB, weather, or lighting mod yet. I'm actually going a more fun driven playthrough this time around. I'll get that stuff stable then I'll move into making the weather and lighting pretty. With STEP Extended, I get 45-50 except in the most harsh of places like Whiterun or Windhelm, but all the REGS + gameplay stuff I added is just eating performance, probably all the extra objects being loaded. I dropped the SRO Normals to 512K and that really helped.

Yeah use the batch files and extract the mods to their own folder in the Mods Extracted folder in the working directory folder. Then put the batch files in the working directory and run the pre opt mods file and it will split them up. Select yes when asked to separate exteriors. Then optimize the exteriors to 1k for color mpas and 512k for Normals.

Gotcha, I'm extracting now (following the Quick Start instructions for vanilla files at the moment). I also see the specific instructions given in the SRLE Pack Guide & I'm glad to hear there's similar for the STEP Extended as well.

I'll dl those .bat files and proceed ... yup I see the link, looks like I've got a productive evening ahead, thanks gents this is good stuff!

So EnaiSiaion just released a bigass mod called Dwemertech. Adds spells and a bunch of cybermage upgrades, sends you to the moon, looks lore-friendly (assuming you believe the Dwemer were badass technomages). Thought it might be considered for an addition here.

Holy cow that looks amazing! Goodness knows how much time he spent putting all that together!

The only patch that's not available for both modular and complete is the Requiem patch (Which is only available for Complete because Requiem.esp's content is horrible enough to look at, let alone maintain 10+ different patches for it).

What I mean is, the No Snow/SMIM patches for Falkreath, Dawnstar etc are not mentioned in REGS install instructions. Are any of those patches needed for the ETaC - Complete version are are they only necessary for modular? I don't see a NSuTR/SMIM patch esp file for ETaC - Complete after going through the installer. 

For clearification, I am talking about these options: Posted Image

If I select 'none' there everywhere, then this is the patch list that comes out (which doesn't seem to have any nsutr/smim complete patch):

Posted Image

(right-click and open image in new tab)

Edit: Nvm the 3DNPC question, missed that part of the 12.0 patch notes :)

Edit2: For SRLE users there are 3 ESPs that are not in the userlist.txt. Will you add them or shall I add them as extra rules in the regs-srle guide?

• ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp
  • ETaC - Complete WC Holidays Patch.esp
  • Prometheus_NSUTR BDS Patch.esp Version 2.3 

Edit3: There is a CRF navmesh which is completely reversed by ETaC - Complete.esp in Worldspace 0000003C <Tamriel> Block -1, 0 Sub-Block -3, 2 00009388 Temporary 00015EBA.

I can divert etac questions to etac comment section of course if you like :)

Edit4: FATT IV's Dragonmournin..esp also reverses a CRF navmesh @ Worldspace 0000003C <Tamriel> Block -1, 0 Sub-Block -3, 2 00009368 Temporary 000E8B82

Maybe neither of them are a problem but they kinda stand out inbetween all the fixed navmeshes of the REGS files. 

Edit 5: It seems that with the new userlist.txt, ETaC has been put significantly lower in the load order than where it used to be (a few weeks ago?) by default BOSS settings (and previous REGS settings did not move etac - complete.esp to another priority). This must be what is causing ETaC to now win some navmesh conflicts with CRF and to revert back to vanilla navmesh whereas I guess it probably shouldn't be doing that. 

Just checking up on things here, I'm sure you've looked at all this before, as usual :)

Edited by Nearox

The reason that ETaC runs so bad is because I addes a lot of different object with different textures... generally turning down the in-game fade distances do little (2x 6970) but when looking at the areas I drop down to mid 20s verses mid 30s and tg helps by 10 fps

I also found that ewi inis helped massively... no more lag when loading the area.

It seem ETaC hit thet limit of the engine... I am able to monitor VRAM and mines fine I generally only run 1k textures...