Audio Overhaul for Skyrim (by David Jegutidse)

Neovalen

WB is only able to detect conflicts in resource files. Mods like AOS and SOS that are not just replacing vanilla audio resources have large esp plugins and the conflicts that occur are between objects in these plugins. If you want to view the conflicts you need to use TES5Edit.

I'm showing that AOS replaces 95 files in STEP Core if I install it at the end of the sound section. I was wondering where people had been putting it in regards to STEP. I don't want to retread what others have already done.

I just ended up putting it at the end of Sound letting it overwrite everything, but I also moved Improved Animal Footsteps to the bottom after AOS so I don't hear footsteps from animals looping.

I'm thinking that IHSS and Better Animal Footsteps are preferred over the AOS footsteps. Overall the footsteps for the player and NPCs were to loud to me. I had to turn them down quite a bit.

I can't really tell between the Bow and Crossbow sounds. The STEP mods and AOS are both okay with me. I prefer one mod instead of two.

I do like the approach of AOS overall and think that it fits the STEP mandate very well. I'd move Better Animal Footstep and IHSS below it in the install order and grab the patches for those mods or I'll make some and add them to the STEP Patches.

My only gripe with the mod is the bass, but maybe Nirn is my car in high school, who knows.

@SRB

Agree about the patches ... MichaelRW does the patch? wierd. Maybe he should contact LoRd KoRn about contributing there.

EDIT: Wait ... I know that ... I had already downloaded all of his patches, and just forgot :P . Still, why does the CoT patch exist on both Nexus pages, and why is MichaelRW not working directly on the AOS page ... ?

Originally LoRd KoRn collaborated with MichaelRW for the patches, but because of the sheer amount of them, it became easier to simply set up a patch page, to which they both agreed.

The CoT patch on the main page is an old patch that does NOT work with the newer version (open it up in TES5Edit to see what I mean). LoRd KoRn has simply never placed it in old files, or he doesn't realize that the patch is outdated. Use the CoT patch by MichaelRW, as he knows what he is doing.

This may be obvious to some, but I believe clanking armor will be obsolete if using AOS.

Disclaimer: have not tested in-game yet: just doing some TES5Edit analysis of my load order, and it seems clear that AOS does the same thing (although probably differently, so it may just come down to preference) - all of the relevant records are conflicted between the two mods.

I'd say to install after animal footsteps and horsestep sounds. The footsteps were so loud in AOS, but everything else could probably be overwritten or doesn't matter.

EDIT: Oh wait, are we going Core or Extended with this?

Thjis will be Core, but AOS should overwrite/override in all cases, including footsteps (which can be turned down in Settings). If we go mixing them, then some will be too loud or not loud enough.

I have been using AOS with improved combat sounds, better bow sounds (its a simple overwrite), better weapon sheath sounds, and then a couple more from core and extended STEP and it works nicely. AOS overwrites mods that change combat sounds but the author hasn't fully implemented combat sounds yet, only fixed a couple in game bugs. The bow shot sounds for AOS, according to the author, are taken from real audo of 15th century bow shots, but its really loud and very distracting. IMO the step mod that covers the same thing does a great job. As I said before, the AOS combat sounds haven't been covered yet so improved combat sounds is a definite winner for quality. The only mods from step I exclude audio wise would be the SoS mods and improved animal footstep sounds, everything else is either preferential or partially compatible and sounds great.

One more note for STEP 2.2.8, the RW2 sounds with the compatiability patch for AOS from michealw fits in really well, but the waterfall and general water noises are really very loud. It is much more realistic, and I like it a lot, but many people on the AOS page have complained about it.