Deathwing514

RLO vs. ELFX vs. Vanilla

Welcome Step Members and Guest alike,

I wanted to start the conversation for the future post processing packs which will include the lighting mods.

I know this will be one of the most opinionated topics as every individual has their own style that they enjoy.

As a result, I have taken a couple of screenshots on the most popular lighting mods on nexus which include RLO & ELFX

UPDATE: By request from step members, I have included a couple ELFX Enhancer version. ENJOY

Here are the screenshots below:

Vanilla                                           ELFX                           RLO

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

(These Pictures have been taken with Skyrelaism ENB that only includes detailed shadows, It does not include any of the SSAO, DOF, etc effects)

Vanilla                                     ELFX                                       ELFX Enchancer                      RLO

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image 

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

Posted Image  https://i.imgur.com/VMXx642.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/db4oM7b.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/mnycOSu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RiqlImH.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/KiCQzUR.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/LE3H468.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/H8dWWqL.jpg

(These Pictures have been taken with Real Vision ENB that only includes detailed shadows, It does not include any of the SSAO, DOF, etc effects)

Extra

https://i.imgur.com/8hyrP43.jpg

Enjoy and Let me know your thoughts on which one you think is best =-)

If you would like me to finish the ELFX Enhancer version for the rest of the screenshots just ask. At the moment I have no plans to do them unless requested.

Update: Added More Different Interior Screenshots

If you want a certain lighting mod to be compared with these, let me know which one and give me the link.

I've always have been and continue to be a fan of RLO. Of course this is from my seeking of realism in the game. ELFX has too many unnatural lighting situations (not saying that RLO is perfect; however, it's more realistic in my opinion).

Personally all ELFX needs in my opinion is a bit of a light source brightness decrease. If the fires and such (moonlight through windows for example) weren't so bright I'd say ELFX win hands down in these compares. Oh I almost forgot are you using the release candidate or 4.0.7 of RLO.

@phazer11

I am currently using the 4.0.7 Version.

BTW, what exactly is the release candidate version? Is it the weather version that you are speaking off or a beta version that I missed somehow?

What's up with the Hall of the Kings or whatever from Windhelm? RLO is pretty much black.

I'm a bit of a heretic here. I really dislike the ambient lighting in vanilla, but I'm also not sold on any of the major lighting mods at this stage. I do think that RLO was doing some good work and showing promise, but it seems to be in development hell, perhaps understandably given Sidney's difficulties.

While I do like both almost equally I like ehlfx more so.  I agree with phazer11 about it being a little too bright but this can be fixed with enb. I also think you cant really call any lighting pack the better one since enb enhances lighting packs so much and in different ways which is why in my opinion you should leave it up to the user.

As for step extended I think maybe have a review of what step thinks is most suited to become a main option but make it aware that the user should try experimenting to find there own enb/lighting preference.  I think it should also be known that from what I read on enb image forum (1300+ pages) most popular enb makers there use elfx when designing their enbs.  That doesnt mean you cant use rlo and enb of course just thought I'd point that out though.

I seem to be noticing a theme. Most whom use ELFX also use ENB. In truth, you can't really discuss "this is better because ENB fixes the issues" when thinking in term of STEP unless the pack itself will also include a specific ENB. If you're just comparing the lighting mods as standalone, then ENB has no standing in the compare. Not everyone uses ENBs. Personally, I don't use them so I would never compare any lighting mod based on what an ENB could or couldn't fix in the mod.

If I'm going to use a lighting mod, then it would be standalone and this is also what STEP would do as well. ENBs are far too numerous to compare and too based on personal tastes for STEP to really recommend a single best option (or even a small group).

In any case, it's been decided that all lighting mods that are good candidates are not mature enough to be considered and compared for any official STEP inclusion. If anyone wishes to author a pack; however, feel free to do so.

For me I guess my view is tainted in that I will not play Skyrim WITHOUT an ENB... its just not the same game. :)

I am so torn right now with both these lighting mods.

I love Realistic Lighting Overahul because

a. It has a realistic feeling

b. I love the warm pallette

However, I dislike RLO because

a. The dungeons are not complete

b. Some interiors have a overly saturated orange look (for example, the morgue picture)

I love Enchanced Light FX because

a. the way that the light works with the window

b. the fact that the dungeons are complete

However I dislike ELFX because

a. the brightness in some interiors ( i call it the moonlight effect) is too bright. (example:Interior of Windhelm Inn)

b. the dungeons are very dark.

Its really a toss up at this point.

If RLO finishes the dungeons and reduces the over-saturated orange, they would defiantly be a front contender.

On the other hand,

If ELFX fixes the overly bright moonlight effect, they would also be in the front contender.

Hmm, its really a matter of opinion but, we need to analyze both these mods and see which one actually benefits the vision of STEP.

The only problem is that we can't properly analyze these mods yet. Neither are complete. RLO's next release should include a finished weathers module which is being likened to an ENB without the performance hit. Future plans include finished dungeons, revamped cities and towns, and Dragonborn DLC. Problem is, development is extremely slow right now with only one active author.

I don't know anything about ELFX's releases. I only know from the 100+ screenshots I've viewed over time that it's more cinematic than realistic and not my forte.

My favorite ENBs are Ruvaak Dahmaan (for a more vanilla palette cinema experience that works great with Climates of Tamriel which is a BIG plus) and Somber (for a more stylistic vintage cinema experience), so you can gather that I am a cinematic loving sort of guy. As it stands currently I prefer ELFX, I found RLO overly warm, realistic yes, since most of the light sources in a medieval world is fire, but it made the game less colorful and I prefer the darker dungeon of ELFX, in my opinion, I don't think the dungeons or nights are dark enough even with ELFX & Blackout! The light through the windows is very nice and looks amazing of course. (too bad COT's darker nights mess with brightness of light sources as well as the ambient brightness, or it would fix my issues with ELFX)

I agree that if ELFX toned down the brightness of light sources in taverns and inns, it would be perfect. Looking at the screen shots alone, no doubt in my mine ELFX, RLO looks unfinished in some of those screenies.

Not to mention that most ENBs (the ones I like anyway) out there support ELFX over RLO.

As for Vanilla lighting.... meh, talk about moonlight effect, its amazing how bright everything is!

ELFX+RCRN was what I used back before I found STEP. It was a glorious combination. Then some changes were made in both mods and it got less good. Now it seems like ELFX and a very vanilla-conscious ENB are the way to go. But I actually think ELFX still works very nicely without ENB.

From the beginning of my play through of Skyrim I started with the old "Realistic Lighting with Customization" and I was quite happy with it. Then after come RLO v4 (and Realistic Lighting with Customization v3 deleted from tesnexus, for what reason?). I tested RLO v4 for some weeks and discovered that it was far to be a finished work and his development was quite slowing. Then I converted to RCRN 3.6, then v2.0.0 beta for several months. This lighting mod has great potential but has some flaws (concerning weather transport). I tested COT v3.5 and ELFX v0.3 and was not convinced.

Now I have come back to "Realistic Lighting with Customization v3.5" (fortunately I kept a downloaded copy in my hard disk) and I have been playing with for more two months. No scripts, no loss of performances. Happy again with this lighting mod.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sheson
      This is a beta of [FNV|FO3|FO4|FO4VR|TES5|SSE|TES5VR|ENDERAL|ENDERALSE]LODGen/Edit with terrain LOD meshes and textures generation.
      This is for experienced mod authors and users that know how to use xEdit, xLODGen or DynDOLOD already.
      Installation and Setup
      Download
      xLODGen beta 93 - based on 4.1.4b
      Unzip into a dedicated folder outside of any Steam, game or mod manager folders or special Windows folders like Program Files.
      Rename xLODGen.exe to [game mode]LODGen.exe (TES5LODGen.exe for example) or start with command line parameter -fnv, -fo3, -fo4, -fo4vr, -tes5, tes5vr, -sse, -enderal, -enderalse
      Use -o:"c:\OutputPath\" command line parameter to change where files are generated to, default is the game folder.
      Do not generate into any game or any mod manager folders.
      Requirements
      Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 - Required by LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe and Texconv.exe/Texconvx64.exe. Get matching platform x86/x64 depending on which xLODGen.exe (x86) or xLODGenx64.exe (x64) is used.
      RTFM and Share Results
      See the included Skyrim-Occlusion-Readme.txt for a brief explanation of the Skyrim TVDT Occlusion data generation. Read the hints that are shown when the mouse pointer rests on a setting. Ask specific questions or give feedback in the dedicated Skyrim TVDT - Occlusion Data thread.
      See the included Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt for a brief explanation of the settings for terrain LOD generation. Read the hints that are shown when the mouse pointer rests on a setting. Ask specific questions about terrain LOD in this thread for a more in-depth explanation if required and share feedback (with screenshots) about results or problems.
      These tools generate LOD meshes and textures "exactly" like CK, but not like the meshes and textures which are shipping with the games (they are often manually edited).
      However, these tools provide more options and higher resolutions (use the x64 version if there are memory errors because you believe you require 4k or higher) and can be updated to add more useful features and options.
      I did some testing in the different games, but finding the best combinations of options and settings requires lots of testing and are a matter of personal opinion and which game is used, the load order, mods, even different worldspaces probably.
      That means, I am only able to give generic guidelines and hints to send you off to find and test for yourself and share your results. My main interested is that generations works correctly and without problems for now.
      Check out the thread xLODGen Terrain Settings Compare. Also refer to any modding guide which has a list of relevant mods close to your load order.
      The object and tree LOD generation is the same as the current versions of xEdit / xLODGen. Refer to their respective descriptions and explanations.
      Obviously, users of Skryim/Enderal/Skyrim SE/Skyrim VR/EnderalSE continue to use the easier and more comprehensive DynDOLOD for drastically improved object and tree LOD generation and only use xLODGen for terrain LOD (and maybe Occlusion) generation.
      First Time
      Here are suggestion to start without going crazy and that should be quick enough to generate:
      Set quality of meshes for LOD4 to 5 and then +5 for each next level. Or just set levels 8/16/32 to 10.
      Check protect cell borders (yes it fixes the ugly terrain drops at outer cell borders that still exist in Fallout 4).
      Use the max vertices setting only if you want to hard limit max file size.
      In Skyrim Special Edition or Skyrim VR, if you notice terrain briefly flickering when new areas are loading in, set [Display] bEnableLandFade=0 in Skyrim.INI
      Set Optimize Unseen to off for LOD4 for first generation. Start experimenting with a value of 550 with a quality setting of 10 or lower for LOD32 (used for map) and compare coastlines and file size to other settings.
      To quickly generate terrain LOD meshes just for the map, check only terrain LOD Meshes, check the Specific Chunk checkbox and set drop down to 32. Leave SW fields empty for complete map or set SW cell coordinates to same values as a *.btr filename to test a specific area with lots of water, river etc.
      Set texture sizes to 512 for a start. Larger sizes and large world spaces will take a considerable time (like 15 to 30 minutes or more easily). Each higher resolution means quadruple the work.
      Use DXT1 for diffuse and 565 (DXT1 if on Windows 7) for normal maps. If generating for Skyrim Special Edition use BC7. Uncheck mipmaps, raise steepness and Bake normal maps.
      For now, leave the Brightness, Contrast and Gamma at 0 and 1.0 respectively. It seems that only Skyrim CK and Skyrim SE CK are manipulating the intensity of the textures to adjust for the noise.dds and the god awful "improved" snow shader of Skyrim SE (just turn that thing off, really). If textures seem too dark in the game, brighten the noise.dds instead or vice versa. That way you can get perfectly matching LOD textures that look just like the textures in the loaded cells. For Skyrim a good average color of the noise texture seems to be around #C0. See below for a couple noise texture downloads.
      If you want to test larger texture sizes, use the chunk option to limit the number of textures that need to be generated. For example, check [x] Specific chunk, leave the drop down empty and set WS to the lower left cell coordinate of an 32x32 area, like 0, 0. It will then generate all textures up to 31,31. Not all worldspaces have their origin at 0,0 so you will have to check already generated meshes/texture filenames for their lower left coordinates.
      Questions and Feedback
      Obliviously anything related to terrain LOD should be posted in this thread.
      Posts related to Occlusion should be made here.
      Recommended Optionals
      TES5-Terrain-Tamriel.esm (Mega), SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm (Mega)
      TES5-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm (Mega), SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm (Mega) - These extend the sea of ghost further to the north (see screenshots)
      SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Full-Extend.esm (Mega) - Entire map from -96,-96 to 95,96 with northern ocean extension. Useful for mod authors.
      Put in game data folder obviously. Adds back terrain for Skyrim (Tamriel worldspace) at the outer edges so there is no missing terrain meshes/textures when generating terrain LOD for Skyrim.
      Load as early with lowest priority as possible, so that any other plugins overwriting or adding land records or cells with the same coordinates take precedence.
      Only required to be loaded when generating terrain LOD. No harm done when loaded in-game but typically the player can not get close to these areas. There are no effects outside the far away added cells.
      Noise
      Single color flat noise, Adjusted vanilla noise, HD Terrain Noise Texture SE
      Examples for Skyrim. Install to game folder like any other texture mod. The noise texture is applied in-game on top of terrain LOD textures, so no effect for LOD generation.
      Only the red channel is used in case the textures is not a grey channel format. MipMaps are ignored. The textures is tiled 3x3 per LOD quad, e.g. for LOD level 4, the noise texture is repeated 3 times to cover 4 cells, for LOD level 8, the noise texture is repeated 3 times to cover 8 cells and so on.
      Test-Terrain-Tamriel.7z
      For testing terrain LOD distances. Plain color terrain LOD textures for Tamriel with coordinates for every LOD quad. Green for LOD 4, yellow for LOD8, blue for LOD 16 and red for LOD 32.
    • By sheson
      DynDOLOD DLL for Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim Anniversary Edition and Skyrim VR
      So far all versions of DynDOLOD use the SKSE plugin PapyrusUtil for the optional dynamic LOD in the game. Starting with version 2.45 there is now the alternative DynDOLOD DLL available.
      The current DLL version is 2.45. It works with dynamic LOD generated by DynDOLOD Standalone 2.45 and newer.
      Read the ..DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD_DLL.html included in DynDOLOD Standalone for an explanation about DynDOLOD DLL, installation instructions (overwrite papyrus scripts of DynDOLOD Resources) and how it works.
      If there are problems with it, check DynDOLOD_DLL.html and the DynDOLOD FAQ first before posting.
      If a DynDOLOD.DLL version is required for a game version that is not listed below, request it in this thread. First, search this thread if it has been requested already, though. The future will tell how long it takes to release updates.
      Typically a new DynDOLOD.DLL is required for each new game version, but not each new SKSE version. For example a DynDOLOD.DLL compiled with SKSE64 2.0.9 also works with SKSE64 2.0.10 for the same game version.
      Nexus Downloads for DynDOLOD 2.45 and higher
      DynDOLOD DLL for Skyrim
      DynDOLOD DLL SE for Skyrim Special Edition
      DynDOLOD DLL VR for Skyrim VR
      Mega Mirrors:
      DynDOLOD.DLL + Scripts for Skyrim 1.9.32 (overwrite the papyrus scripts included in DynDOLOD Resources)
      DynDOLOD Scripts for Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR (overwrite the papyrus scripts included in DynDOLOD Resources SE)
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.39
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.50
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.53
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.62
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.73
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.80
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.97
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.318
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.323
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.342
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.353
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim VR 1.4.15
    • By saldas
      Hi, I've a simple question. I've been using Skyrim LE and ENB version 472, as ENBoost. Previously was using a GTX 1070 ti, and always the red text message showed up on game start, telling me that no graphics modification was possible - but then I was only using it for extra memory.
      Now I've upgraded to an RTX 3080 12gb, and it's a fresh install of Skyrim. The red text no longer appears. The white text with ENB version etc does, as before. Does this mean that ENBoost is not working as intended?
      EDIT: Sorry, this question shouldn't be here. Silly me, forgot that there's an option I didn't change in enblocal.ini.