STEP v2.1.1b Bug Reports [Official]

Guys I have this problem with RCRN i don't know if it's a known bug: there is far too light into dungeons and caves, even with RCRN pure. I tried reinstall everything from scratch because I thought it was a problem of wrong installation, but nothing changed. I have tried to remove Iccc addon from TC and the shadow mod (i don't remember the name). Does anyone else have the same problem?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if I can class this as a bug, but the _n.dds in Pilgrims Delight - High Hrothgar Shrine Retextures is a format called Ati2 :blink:

Little googling: "ATI2 - Two (8-bit) components... designed specifically to store Tangent-space (x/y) Normal Maps (z is computed from x/y, at run/load time)" *Taken from here

DDSopt was unable to optimize them and then I tryed to load then in Infraview with error "unable to load" :(

Guys I have this problem with RCRN i don't know if it's a known bug: there is far too light into dungeons and caves, even with RCRN pure. I tried reinstall everything from scratch because I thought it was a problem of wrong installation, but nothing changed. I have tried to remove Iccc addon from TC and the shadow mod (i don't remember the name). Does anyone else have the same problem?

Black Falls Barrow??? From aLaaa (Then man behind RCRN) on the 13 April 2012 "Bleak falls barrow is a "tutorial" dungeon, as design choice by Bethesda, we decided to not touch it in v2.1 for this reason. Other dungeons are dark and scary as they should be" https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/478803-realistic-colors-and-real-nights/page__view__findpost__p__5095371

I've just run through most of STEP 2.1.1b, here are some discrepancies/items I've noted for the next version (unless otherwise noted I used the fps friendly version of every available mod).

1. Installing SMIM - There are four files instead of three that you need avoid overwriting in architecture/whiterun.

2. Installing Hvergelmirs Shield Retexture - It also overwrites "Detailed Guard Shields and Banners - Worn" in addition to "Accingite Vos".

3. Installing Ruins Clutter Improvement HD - It did not over-write anything from "Re-Defined Dungeons" despite the note in the guide.

4. Installing Better Dwemer Ruins WIP (Dwemer and Falmer Related Only) - It also overwrites some files from "Ruins Clutter Improvement HD" in addition to "Bellyaches Animal Pack".

5. Installing Skyrim Redesigned - It does NOT overwrite anything from "High Quality Food and Ingredients" only from the other two (salmon already replaced by Tobes).

6. Installing Burial Urn Retexture - Overwrites "Ruins Clutter Improvement HD", should probably be moved up to section B2.

7. Installing Detailed Chests Texture Replacers - Overwrites "Ruins Clutter Improvement HD", should probably be moved up to section B2.

Mods I've omitted/replaced/changed in my own load (for various reasons listed below):

Crimson Tide - I just use Enhanced Blood Textures instead as Crimson Tide can be buggy and is not being actively supported by the author.

HighRes Glass Armor and Weapons Retex - I used Improved Green instead of Ice Blue to be more lore friendly.

I did not install RCRN or any other lighting mod. Waiting to see the fixed ATI version of ENB and RCRN v3 since they are forthcoming.

I did not install natual eyes/xce as I will use other mods for these. I recommend "Improved Eyes Skyrim" (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9249) for eyes especially.

I did not install Bellyache's Fur and Quilted Saddles as I use Horse Armor.

I did not install Better Decapitation Gore Texture as a texture is already included in Enhanced Blood Textures.

I installed the "No Wings" version of Lockpicking Interface Retex to avoid the chuckle factor and looks more natural to me.

I did not install Dynavision as it is rumored to cause save game bloat even after it has been removed (see comment threads).

I did not install Imaginator yet, as I haven't settled on a lighting mod.

I did not install More Dynamic Shadows and Striping Fixed for reasons as noted in this thread.

I did not install "Small Crosshair" as it is still buggy in regards to spell casting (when it turns red it reverts to old crosshair) and also when ordering followers around the crosshair does not change.

I installed and recommend "Smaller Cursor" (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2317)

I did not install time on loading screen (just not for me) or interface hard coded key tweaks (I don't remap anything)

I used Centaur font main menu replacement instead of Fertigo Pro (just personal choice).

I did not install "Cowardly Horses" as it's not compatible with my follower/horse armor mods.

I did not install "Dark Brotherhood Forever Moved to Misc" as the comment thread did not look promising. Did not test myself.

I did not install "More Interactive Items" because I find picking up carts by accident annoying.

I did not install "Trainer Gold Exploit Fix" as it feels immersion breaking that I cannot pickpocket my gold back and I can restrain myself. ;)

I actually installed the BSA version of the USKP and loaded it first, is there a particular reason this should be loose files version / not overwrite?

I hope you find at least some of this helpful.

@ Neovalen:

I can confirm almost anything guide related you wrote! I installed STEP2.1.1b yesterday too and created a fake Skyrim directory. then I split up the 8,3GB into 9 .7Z-Packs plus some extra packs (lighting, shadows, hardcorepack) and can now apply and reapply them as needed.

what I cannot confirm yet, are your suspicions about bugs with the mods. so far i didn't come across any. This might change when I get more time for testing, though!

I've just run through most of STEP 2.1.1b, here are some discrepancies/items I've noted for the next version (unless otherwise noted I used the fps friendly version of every available mod).

1. Installing SMIM - There are four files instead of three that you need avoid overwriting in architecture/whiterun.

2. Installing Hvergelmirs Shield Retexture - It also overwrites "Detailed Guard Shields and Banners - Worn" in addition to "Accingite Vos".

3. Installing Ruins Clutter Improvement HD - It did not over-write anything from "Re-Defined Dungeons" despite the note in the guide.

4. Installing Better Dwemer Ruins WIP (Dwemer and Falmer Related Only) - It also overwrites some files from "Ruins Clutter Improvement HD" in addition to "Bellyaches Animal Pack".

5. Installing Skyrim Redesigned - It does NOT overwrite anything from "High Quality Food and Ingredients" only from the other two (salmon already replaced by Tobes).

6. Installing Burial Urn Retexture - Overwrites "Ruins Clutter Improvement HD", should probably be moved up to section B2.

7. Installing Detailed Chests Texture Replacers - Overwrites "Ruins Clutter Improvement HD", should probably be moved up to section B2.

Mods I've omitted/replaced/changed in my own load (for various reasons listed below):

Crimson Tide - I just use Enhanced Blood Textures instead as Crimson Tide can be buggy and is not being actively supported by the author.

HighRes Glass Armor and Weapons Retex - I used Improved Green instead of Ice Blue to be more lore friendly.

I did not install RCRN or any other lighting mod. Waiting to see the fixed ATI version of ENB and RCRN v3 since they are forthcoming.

I did not install natual eyes/xce as I will use other mods for these. I recommend "Improved Eyes Skyrim" (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9249) for eyes especially.

I did not install Bellyache's Fur and Quilted Saddles as I use Horse Armor.

I did not install Better Decapitation Gore Texture as a texture is already included in Enhanced Blood Textures.

I installed the "No Wings" version of Lockpicking Interface Retex to avoid the chuckle factor and looks more natural to me.

I did not install Dynavision as it is rumored to cause save game bloat even after it has been removed (see comment threads).

I did not install Imaginator yet, as I haven't settled on a lighting mod.

I did not install More Dynamic Shadows and Striping Fixed for reasons as noted in this thread.

I did not install "Small Crosshair" as it is still buggy in regards to spell casting (when it turns red it reverts to old crosshair) and also when ordering followers around the crosshair does not change.

I installed and recommend "Smaller Cursor" (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2317)

I did not install time on loading screen (just not for me) or interface hard coded key tweaks (I don't remap anything)

I used Centaur font main menu replacement instead of Fertigo Pro (just personal choice).

I did not install "Cowardly Horses" as it's not compatible with my follower/horse armor mods.

I did not install "Dark Brotherhood Forever Moved to Misc" as the comment thread did not look promising. Did not test myself.

I did not install "More Interactive Items" because I find picking up carts by accident annoying.

I did not install "Trainer Gold Exploit Fix" as it feels immersion breaking that I cannot pickpocket my gold back and I can restrain myself. ;)

I actually installed the BSA version of the USKP and loaded it first, is there a particular reason this should be loose files version / not overwrite?

I hope you find at least some of this helpful.

Your report in very helpful! thanks ;)

Ok, I narrowed down the increased z-fighting issue:

it's caused by RLwC or RCRN. RLwC is far worse, but RCRN makes it look a tiny little worse...

Vanilla Lighting is the best option. Somehow the clouds seem to be thicker there. I'm only working with 2 saves and I have some routine testing z-fighting, you can definitely believe me!

Ok, I narrowed down the increased z-fighting issue:

it's caused by RLwC or RCRN. RLwC is far worse, but RCRN makes it look a tiny little worse...

Vanilla Lighting is the best option. Somehow the clouds seem to be thicker there. I'm only working with 2 saves and I have some routine testing z-fighting, you can definitely believe me!

Lets hope the new RCRN version wil lnot have the same issue. I didn't experience it, fortunally, but maybe it'll be necessary some warning i nthe guide if it persists.

from my previous "bug post" here a problem most likely with Optimizer Textures remained:

what I could reproduce where the error on loading screens that the

3D-objects disappear if moved to a certain angle at a certain distance. I

think this is primarily caused by Optimizer Textures recommended in

STEP, since it didn't happen before I optimized the textures. Also they pop back up in no-time if switching angles but not always if reducing distance to the object.

EDIT.

so i got random CtDs when upping my uGrids to 7. I guess Step just doesn't support that, does it? ;-)

Also, I'm going to try to replicate CtDs if I can using uGrids 5 o'course

""I've been experiencing a problem with Dynavision with uGridsToLoad set to 7. After exiting the game, the next time I go to relaunch it, it's a coin toss whether or not I receive an error and the game fails to load. Once this happens, I have to uninstall the mod to get Skyrim to launch again. Any one else experiencing this? ""

I have similar problems, but only with loading games. Sometimes they do, sometimes skyrim hangs itself up...

i dunno whether that has anything to do with dynavision though!

I'm ALWAYS loading a 100% clean save (TOTAL vanilla start until in whiterun and then fasttravelled to several locations for making test saves) that has been saved with ugrids=5.

no corruption there, fri ;-)

EDIT: and another bug... i can shoot limitlessly iron arrows. every time i put an arrow on my string another arrow gets added to my quiver... well if that ain't cheat or bug I don't know.... maybe arrow pickup fix or sth like that?