The Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons (by raiserfx)

vfxninjaeditor

Discussion thread:
The Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons by raiserfx
Wiki Link

Raiserfx has just released his new texture pack for dungeons. They are 2K in resolution. He says it's just a preview but the final release is on it's way. For a preview, I think they look pretty good.

Worthy of STEP? Raiser follows the vanilla style very well. According to people commenting, the textures may or may not be covered by other texture packs. I am not sure this is true but if it is, we now have replacers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does indeed look nice. As to the assertion about the other thread maybe it was your unassuming avatar Mr. Penguin man he appears guilty to me and is the likely culprit behind the theft of any potential posts in your lonely thread.

Back on topic I'm downloading this and trying it out as soon as I can eliminate these random freezes in the wilderness; although this may never happen since I appear to be cursed. I however will not let that get me down.

I liked the dungeons from my latest SR install, but I can't say that I was blown away by them or anything. I didn't really notice anything great or bad, so it was enjoyable.

I personally really like raiserfx's work and I will likely try this out when I get my new install done, which could be awhile since IDK when I will work on it.

I think they do solid work and as long as the textures look good optimized to 1K I will be very happy with using this mod. 

For interiors you can get away with 2k and even 4k textures. At least I am running with plenty of 4k textures in my interiors... never had an issue in an interior at all. Even the barrows, which is one of the larger dungeons. Mainly this is because most textures are reused throughout any dungeon/cave.

For interiors you can get away with 2k and even 4k textures. At least I am running with plenty of 4k textures in my interiors... never had an issue in an interior at all. Even the barrows' date=' which is one of the larger dungeons. Mainly this is because most textures are reused throughout any dungeon/cave.[/quote']

That's great to hear Aiyen, and it certainly makes a lot of sense.

If it's not too much of a bother, do you have any quick recommendations for which texture packs you use that are 2k and 4k? Do you just use complete packs or do you use individual textures at 4k mixed with lower resolution ones as well? Hope that makes sense.

Thank you!

Hectrol caves deluxe is pure 4k.

The beauty of skyrim, caves and mines has some 4k textures but most are 2k.

Snow and Rocks textures HD has some 4k textures but mostly 2k as well.

Redefined dungeons is 2k.

Ruins clutter improved is a mix of 1k and 2k.

I am sure I forgot some but that is about the gist of it.

Essentially anything that has \textures\dungeons\ or \textures\caves\ etc are only used in interiors. Some textures like the whiterun trellis is also 4k but this is again only used in the city which is also a closed off cell system that does not require as much as exteriors.

For interiors you can get away with 2k and even 4k textures. At least I am running with plenty of 4k textures in my interiors... never had an issue in an interior at all. Even the barrows' date=' which is one of the larger dungeons. Mainly this is because most textures are reused throughout any dungeon/cave.[/quote']

Yeah, for me it's one thing to run 2200mb for an interior, but what happens is when you (and by 'you' I actually mean me) load into a new cell, the memory will often jump right over that 3gb mark and many times results in instant CTD.  Youre right though, a lot of dungeons wont give a huge spike in memory use from cell to cell since a lot of the same resources are used and thus already loaded into memory (or if the cell buffer is purged).. but this is not always the case. My point is, 4k textures are fine but one must use discretion when installing such large files, maybe consider reducing normal maps down to 2k. Plus, the number of objects in skyrim that can actually benefit significantly from a 4k texture as opposed to its 2k counterpart. 

(im sure you know most of this already but just wanted to mention this for anyone who may not be as savvy)