The Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons (by raiserfx)

vfxninjaeditor

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thread for compares is over here. Post anything texture related that you want tested there and/or via pm with location ideas, which mods you want compared and if you want some shots with combined textures and I'll get to it as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

These compares are of Vanilla with HRDLCs, current STEP (Re-defined Dungeons), and Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons. The mods were loaded into a vanilla setup with no other STEP mods active for a direct compare.

Vanilla  >>  Re-defined  >> Beauty of Skyrim

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

These compares are of Vanilla with HRDLCs, current STEP (Re-defined Dungeons), and Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons as well; however, in the forth show I have Beauty of Skyrim overwriting Re-Defined Dungeons since Re-Defined provides textures which Beauty does not. The mods were still loaded into a vanilla setup with no other STEP mods active for a direct compare.

Vanilla >> Re-defined >> Beauty of Skyrim >> Re-Defined overwritten by Beauty

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Here is an example of a texture that is provided by Re-Defined which Beauty does not

Re-Defined >> Beauty of Skyrim

Posted Image Posted Image

Here, Beauty is identical to vanilla HRDLCs.

My review:

After seeing he compares in-game, I can't believe I've never noticed how "overdone" Re-Defined Dungeons looks. Overall texture wise, Beauty of Skyrim is the closest to vanilla. Re-Defined completely "redefines" the bump maps to be much more flat. Color wise it's 50/50 for both mods being closest to vanilla...sometimes it's Re-Defines and sometimes it's Beauty. The same goes for the overwrite shots. I like the vanilla wood in the first set of compares better than those that are included in Re-Defined. However, in the second set Re-Defined's ground textures combined with Beauty's looks the best. You'll also notice in the overwrite that Re-Defined makes some of the wall textures darker and "rougher" looking. This looks great is is present in many places throughout the dungeons when using both mods in this manner. Finally, you have to consider the textures that Re-Define includes which Beauty does not (yet). Like the structures with the words of power written on them.

My vote is to keep Re-Defined Dungeons; however, install Beauty of Skyrim after it to overwrite the conflicting textures. Best of both mods! :)

Compares: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=2772&pid=45178#pid45178

ok great. looks good. sorry i havent posted any compares in the past few days, but ever since the langleys pack debacle and the realization of how tedious the work would be to get compares for such a huge diverse set, ive been feeling a bit jaded. I dont imagine youre wanting any additional compares for this mod? ill sift through the MS forum and see if theres something other than langleys i can work on.

I think we're good here.

Langley's will be a huge undertaking, but you can work on any of the mods here in the testing area; however, any compare/testing takes some time and isn't always fun. That is why MTs seem to drop like flies around here. lol! It took me about 2 hours to gather these compares because I had to run through the dungeons and then run to find the locations (it's much quicker when you have all the needed locations discovered). Not to mention switching back and forth between mods and in and out of the game takes time too.

I did find out that my STEP: Extended profile will not load but my STEP: Core will. So I found yet another task I have to troubleshoot to find out what is causing MO to not load the full STEP installation.

I did find out that my STEP: Extended profile will not load but my STEP: Core will. So I found yet another task I have to troubleshoot to find out what is causing MO to not load the full STEP installation.

that sounds like a lot of fun :no:
Eh, I'll just active mods one by one in the Core Profile til I find the issue.

that sounds like a lot of fun :no:
Eh, I'll just active mods one by one in the Core Profile til I find the issue.
Got it taken care of. Even Better Quest Objectives was the culprit. I had to make a custom file for it so it would install correctly. Need to PM WilliamImm about the Non-Essential Killable Children patch.