Problem after cleaning vanilla masters

I have a problem with STEP 3 of the guide.
After installing the game, and setting up all the tools, it is time for cleaning Vanilla Master Plugins.
I sort plugins with LOOT, it shows me 28 CC plugins that need cleaning.
I do the Standard cleaning procedure on them. All is good. Run LOOT, it shows that all plugins are clean now.
I do the next step and move all the clean plugins into the
 "Cleaned Vanilla Masters" mod that I created in MO2, rename all the backup plugins back to the original name and move them from "xEdit Output" back to Data folder.
But if I start the game (which is required after finishing installing the 02-Extenders part of the guide) I get the in-game message "Thank you for buying Anniversary, CC mods will now be downloaded" or something like that. And it downloads all the CC mods again. 

Now the problem starts. All the cleaned plugins are missing from "Cleaned Vanilla Masters". The mod is empty. 
The list on the left side of the MO2 only shows the 28 mods that were previously cleaned, but LOOT now says that they all require cleaning again.
And the "Override" at the bottom of the left side of MO2 is full with all the CC mods redownloaded.

I have no clue what I did wrong. It happened twice now, and I had to uninstall and reinstall the whole game to reset everything to start, so I can try again.
Can anyone help?

4 hours ago, Kozza said:

I have a problem with STEP 3 of the guide.
After installing the game, and setting up all the tools, it is time for cleaning Vanilla Master Plugins.
I sort plugins with LOOT, it shows me 28 CC plugins that need cleaning.
I do the Standard cleaning procedure on them. All is good. Run LOOT, it shows that all plugins are clean now.
I do the next step and move all the clean plugins into the
 "Cleaned Vanilla Masters" mod that I created in MO2, rename all the backup plugins back to the original name and move them from "xEdit Output" back to Data folder.
But if I start the game (which is required after finishing installing the 02-Extenders part of the guide) I get the in-game message "Thank you for buying Anniversary, CC mods will now be downloaded" or something like that. And it downloads all the CC mods again. 

Now the problem starts. All the cleaned plugins are missing from "Cleaned Vanilla Masters". The mod is empty. 
The list on the left side of the MO2 only shows the 28 mods that were previously cleaned, but LOOT now says that they all require cleaning again.
And the "Override" at the bottom of the left side of MO2 is full with all the CC mods redownloaded.

I have no clue what I did wrong. It happened twice now, and I had to uninstall and reinstall the whole game to reset everything to start, so I can try again.
Can anyone help?

Go through the cleaning process again as instructed. Copy the cleaned masters into your MO mod, and confirm they are all clean again using LOOT.

Close MO, and use Steam to validate your game files.

Then instead of restoring the backups from xEdit Output, launch the game from the Steam launcher, click 'Play', and load into the main menu. This should invoke the CC download process again. Once that finishes, you should have all of the valid CC content under the Steam game ..\Data directory. You can test this by launching again through Steam and clicking 'Play' (the game should start this time without downloading. Use console 'qqq' command to quit).

Now go back to MO, enable your cleaned masters mod, and you should be good. Test by launching the game and selecting 'New'.

I think it's re-downloading all the plugins again, because of the MO VFS somehow before it flags all files as having been downloaded.

Be certain that you have followed the BethINI Setup instructions properly before ding all that^

I think the same thing happened to be once, but I somehow got it working correctly by doing what I described. No clue why, and I don't have the time to test exactly what causes this. Someone else around here may know the cause.

I plan on repeating the process entirely before working on the next guide update and likewise updating the related guide instructions accordingly.

Thank you. It worked perfectly.
I have one more question. I remember that in previous versions of STEP guide, in the section about Cleaning Vanilla Masters there were explanations about cleaning the original game and DLC. Now that section is not present, and LOOT only says that I should clean these 28 CC plugins. 

Does that mean that cleaning Update, Dawnguard, Heartfire and Dragonborn are no longer required? 

8 minutes ago, Kozza said:

Does that mean that cleaning Update, Dawnguard, Heartfire and Dragonborn are no longer required? 

Guide still say...

"Use the following procedure to clean the vanilla plugins (including Creation Club masters). There are approx. 44 'dirty' vanilla masters that should be cleaned. If all of the following cleaning and housekeeping instructions are followed, this only needs to be done once unless or until a master is updated by Bethesda."

Has Loot changed to not saying the DLCs are dirty?

15 hours ago, Mercury71 said:

Guide still say...

"Use the following procedure to clean the vanilla plugins (including Creation Club masters). There are approx. 44 'dirty' vanilla masters that should be cleaned. If all of the following cleaning and housekeeping instructions are followed, this only needs to be done once unless or until a master is updated by Bethesda."

Has Loot changed to not saying the DLCs are dirty?

14 hours ago, Kozza said:

Yeah, LOOT only shows CC plugins as dirty.
That is why I ask.

Since the latest updates, BGS has fixed (accidentally?) some of the vanilla masters, so 28 CC is currently correct. The others have no ITMs/UDRs now.

This happens everytime you use BethINI to generate ini files. You launch the Game throught MO and It downloads all the CC and you end again with your cleaned files erased and new ones in overwrite that need to be cleaned again.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

Since the latest updates, BGS has fixed (accidentally?) some of the vanilla masters, so 28 CC is currently correct. The others have no ITMs/UDRs now.

Good to know. Thank you again.

11 hours ago, Rey_Vegeta said:

This happens everytime you use BethINI to generate ini files. You launch the Game throught MO and It downloads all the CC and you end again with your cleaned files erased and new ones in overwrite that need to be cleaned again.

I don't see how BethINI would cause of this ... @DoubleYou?

I think it's the MO VFS obfuscating the state of the CC downloaded content if the game is launched via MO instead of the Steam launcher after doing the cleaning. I suspect that using the Steam launcher once after downloading the CC content effectively 'sets' the correct state, but I'm not certain.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:25 PM, z929669 said:

I don't see how BethINI would cause of this ... @DoubleYou?

I think it's the MO VFS obfuscating the state of the CC downloaded content if the game is launched via MO instead of the Steam launcher after doing the cleaning. I suspect that using the Steam launcher once after downloading the CC content effectively 'sets' the correct state, but I'm not certain.

Freebies Seen ini setting controlled this in previous versions. I am unsure about latest game version, as I have not updated it yet. 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:04 PM, z929669 said:

I came to the Step 5 of the guide, and am running DynDOLODWhen I start it, I get the following message:

Deleted reference Update.esm [REFR:000C8701] (places TreeDeadShrub [TREE:000A731C] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of FrostflowLighthouseExterior01 [CELL:00008F29] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 15,21))>

On the Support forum that was linked with the above message, I have found that it means that Update.esm contains at least one deleted reference. It needs to be cleaned with xEdit. But here we said that nothing except CC plugins need cleaning.

How should I proceed? 
Just Auto-clean Update.esm, or are there some special rules for cleaning it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 3:22 PM, Kozza said:

Thank you. It worked perfectly.
I have one more question. I remember that in previous versions of STEP guide, in the section about Cleaning Vanilla Masters there were explanations about cleaning the original game and DLC. Now that section is not present, and LOOT only says that I should clean these 28 CC plugins. 

The LOOT masterlist has been updated, so LOOT will now accurately flag all 44 dirty plugins. You just need to "update all masterlists" via the LOOT File menu.