Grass Cache Helper NG (by Shizof)

Mousetick

Discussion topic:
Grass Cache Helper NG by Shizof
Wiki Link

SKSE plugin to make the game load *.CGID files to fix bugs when using grass precache. Supports Seasons of Skyrim by loading *.SPR|SUM|AUT|WIN.CGID files according to current season. Also sets recommended ini settings automatically for easier grass precache generation and usage. Compatible with SE/AE/VR/GOG all versions.

Streamlines the process of precaching grass with NGIO and using the grass cache at runtime or for generating LODs across game versions. Automates and simplifies configuration, removing many manual steps.

Supports NGIO DynDOLODGrassMode=1 ONLY.

Makes Grass Cache Fixes redundant and "obsolete".

image.png

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

This mod is simply wonderful. I just deleted huge portions of the Grass LOD Guide that no longer apply.

Thanks for taking care of this. I haven't had much time to piddle around with modding lately.

... so am I correct in my interpretation of the OP that NGIO is not supported in the final play profile or is it simply suggested by the MA to use DynDOLOD Grass Mode 1 method (and corresponding DynDOLODGrassMode = 1 in NGIO) and not use NGIO at all under 1.5.97?

... so no support for those wanting to use DynDOLODGrassMode = 2 under 1.5.97?

EDIT: after looking at your edits to the Grass LOD guide, I see that 1.5.97 DynDOLODGrassMode = 2 is supported, so the OP (and the Nexus mod Description) is a bit confusing for this use case.

EDIT2: Just want to add that I don't advocate subverting the SSE update mechanic in order to run 1.5.97 --which effectively retards mod development, since nobody has NG-ified NGIO or created something similar for later runtime versions of the game. I'm just curious more than anything.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

Thanks for taking care of this. I haven't had much time to piddle around with modding lately.

... so am I correct in my interpretation of the OP that NGIO is not supported in the final play profile or is it simply suggested by the MA to use DynDOLOD Grass Mode 1 method (and corresponding DynDOLODGrassMode = 1 in NGIO) and not use NGIO at all under 1.5.97?

EDIT: after looking at your edits to the Grass LOD guide, I see that 1.5.97 DynDOLODGrassMode = 2 is supported, so the OP (and the Nexus mod Description) is a bit confusing for this use case.

EDIT2: Just want to add that I don't advocate subverting the SSE update mechanic in order to run 1.5.97 --which effectively retards mod development, since nobody has NG-ified NGIO or created something similar for later runtime versions of the game. I'm just curious more than anything.

See my reply in the Nexus post. This can be used on all game versions and situations. If you are on 1.5.97.0, you can simply disable the AutoGrassDistanceSettings from this mod and allow NGIO to control the grass distances if you want to use extended grass distances. Currently we don't have any alternative to NGIO for grass cache generation, but I know that there are several parties who have expressed interest in adding the ability.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

You can still do anything you want with NGIO if you use NGIO for playing on 1.5.97, including using DynDOLODGrassMode=2.

It's not clear what happens when both NGIO and this mod are used for playing on 1.5.97. Both hook into the engine to read .cgid files, both override Skyrim INI settings, one manually configured, the other one automatically. I don't care to try but I assume it produces unexpected results if not worse. So the idea is that if you use this mod for playing on 1.5.97, then you don't use NGIO at the same time. Or vice-versa, if you use NGIO for playing on 1.5.97, then you don't use this mod. Even if both worked together, it makes little sense to use both for playing.

The usage instructions on the mod page are specific about using NGIO and 1.5.97 for precaching. They make no mention of NGIO or 1.5.97 for playing. Either by inadvertent omission or because the MA has not thought about this scenario.

The main value of this mod is its autoconfiguration (which only supports DynDOLODGrassMode=1) and ability to read .cgid files for playing, including for Seasons. It also helps a little with the precaching process, not by much. So again, if using this mod for playing on 1.5.97, what would be the point of keeping NGIO?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mousetick said:

You can still do anything you want with NGIO if you use NGIO for playing on 1.5.97, including using DynDOLODGrassMode=2.

It's not clear what happens when both NGIO and this mod are used for playing on 1.5.97. Both hook into the engine to read .cgid files, both override Skyrim INI settings, one manually configured, the other one automatically. I don't care to try but I assume it produces unexpected results if not worse. So the idea is that if you use this mod for playing on 1.5.97, then you don't use NGIO at the same time. Or vice-versa, if you use NGIO for playing on 1.5.97, then you don't use this mod. Even if both worked together, it makes little sense to use both for playing.

The usage instructions on the mod page are specific about using NGIO and 1.5.97 for precaching. They make no mention of NGIO or 1.5.97 for playing. Either by inadvertent omission or because the MA has not thought about this scenario.

The main value of this mod is its autoconfiguration (which only supports DynDOLODGrassMode=1) and ability to read .cgid files for playing, including for Seasons. It also helps a little with the precaching process, not by much. So again, if using this mod for playing on 1.5.97, what would be the point of keeping NGIO?

It is still needed when using it in 1.5.97 if you use Seasons of Skyrim. He had to add special code to ensure it played nicely with NGIO for grass precaching, so I doubt there is any issue leaving it enabled for actual gameplay in 1.5.97. He uses the PrecacheGrass.txt to detect if you are generating cache or playing the game. 

9 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

He had to add special code to ensure it played nicely with NGIO for grass precaching, [...] He uses the PrecacheGrass.txt to detect if you are generating cache or playing the game. 

The only thing that "plays nicely" with NGIO in his code is testing whether PrecacheGrass.txt exists or not, so that it can set different Skyrim INI settings depending on precaching or not. When not precaching, there is no way to tell whether NGIO is active or not, so whatever runs last at game startup "wins" I guess.

You're welcome to test NGIO + GCH NG both active together for playing on 1.5.97, and report the results of various configurations in each.

10 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

It is still needed when using it in 1.5.97 if you use Seasons of Skyrim.

Exactly, that's an excellent reason to use this mod for playing on 1.5.97. You made my point. So then, what would be a good reason to keep NGIO?

The only argument to keep NGIO for playing on 1.5.97.0 would be to utilize the code that allows you to have full grass load beyond uGridsToLoad via ExtendedGrass or DynDOLODGrassMode=2. There are likely conflicts with doing so, so it wouldn't be something I would recommend. Naturally, I'm simply hoping that Shizof can implement that feature, rendering that singular argument a moot point, so even 1.5.97.0 users would just remove NGIO after precaching.

• 1 month later...