[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Where I compared my terrain textures, I found only that the original 152 b textures were converted to 132 b, and the alphas were messed up. I did not find any of my own 43 Kb converted to 132 b.

Look at the non-HD vanilla files and compare in the DDSopt preview.

I found many 43kb textures replaced, and I reran DDSopt on the vanilla textures to make sure. Here is one log entry as an example:

# blackreach.16.-23.7.dds #####################################################

Skyrim\Wkg folder\Vanilla  Extracted\STD\textures\terrain\blackreach\blackreach.16.-23.7.dds

processing:

Format           : DXT1 to A8R8G8B8

Dimensions       : 256x256 to 1x1 - 9 to 1 levels

notes:

Planar image detected, collapsing to size 1x1.

Texture was compressed.

delta:            43700 bytes less

This particular texture is 256x256 and all cells are the same color, so ideally it should be able to be collapsed to a single cell. There is no alpha channel in the original texture. The preview display for the optimized texture doesn't look like the original but it isn't the display of a planar image at all; of course, I previously noticed that the DDSopt preview display isn't always correct when the image dimensions change. The Compressonator view of the optimized image is also strange, but the parameters are correct. Again, I'm not sure how Compressonator can display a 1x1 image.

Yes, I see those now. The preview compares are not accurate due to the dimension diffs (as you alluded). Looking at each independently in DDSopt preview looks fine (just set source and destination to be identical). The only diff is the dimension. I think that all of these changes are OK though, since the textures should not need to be any more than 1x1, because they are invariant.

I use the DDSopt-ed versions of the terrain in-game without any noticeable issues. Huge potential VRAM savings though.

Disregarding the time investment -- is there any reason to NOT run all .dds files through DDSopt?

They can't be made worse, right?

From what I understand, there are some that get hideous when you DDSOpt them - I think WATER (the mod) is not supposed to react well to the process.

Yes, I see those now. The preview compares are not accurate due to the dimension diffs (as you alluded). Looking at each independently in DDSopt preview looks fine (just set source and destination to be identical). The only diff is the dimension. I think that all of these changes are OK though, since the textures should not need to be any more than 1x1, because they are invariant.

I use the DDSopt-ed versions of the terrain in-game without any noticeable issues. Huge potential VRAM savings though.

I use them also, although it is understandable why some users might be concerned. As far as I can tell, as Ethatron has said, the DDSopt collapsing is correct. It also occurs a lot in face tint textures; I haven't checked in-game whether the displayed versions of these are correct.

I use them also, although it is understandable why some users might be concerned. As far as I can tell, as Ethatron has said, the DDSopt collapsing is correct. It also occurs a lot in face tint textures; I haven't checked in-game whether the displayed versions of these are correct.

That's what I've seen as well. If we can guarantee for any texture-type which gets collapsed to 132 bytes, that it is correctly optimized, this matter can be called resolved. I don't really know though how a mod tester/user could find a specific dubious texture which he thinks was incorrectly optimized?

I use them also' date=' although it is understandable why some users might be concerned. As far as I can tell' date=' as Ethatron has said, the DDSopt collapsing is correct. It also occurs a lot in face tint textures; I haven't checked in-game whether the displayed versions of these are correct.[/quote'']

That's what I've seen as well. If we can guarantee for any texture-type which gets collapsed to 132 bytes, that it is correctly optimized, this matter can be called resolved. I don't really know though how a mod tester/user could find a specific dubious texture which he thinks was incorrectly optimized?

Best way to check really is in-game. Just optimize and play a lot. Anything wierd is likely doe to DDSopt, which can then be verified.

Does STATUS give information about textures? You may also wish to speak to Aiyen he was working on a way to use TES5Edit to find troublesome textures.

what is STATUS?

Does STATUS give information about textures? You may also wish to speak to Aiyen he was working on a way to use TES5Edit to find troublesome textures.

what is STATUS?
It's a mod that adds a new menu to MCM to display various information about the player and the game environment. It's a very helpful tool when testing mods.

Ok so weird stuff. I tried optimizing a mod called Immersive Creatures to 1024 and it caused DDSopt to crash at some point as it was optimizing the tintmasks. I just tried optimizing my Dawnguard.bsa's textures to 1024 straight into a .bsa archive and it also crashed at some point (seems like seruinsrubble ). It seems to be working on everything else. Any ideas?

Just an observation:

I analyze the DDSOpt results and always use it in one mod at a time.

DDSOpt you entire texture directory is a bad idea.

Grab the architechture and landscape files, ddsopt it to 2k/1k and you should have a nice descrease in vram use.

Other mods need fine tunning, so this isn't as much as plug n' play.

Just an observation:

I analyze the DDSOpt results and always use it in one mod at a time.

DDSOpt you entire texture directory is a bad idea.

Grab the architechture and landscape files, ddsopt it to 2k/1k and you should have a nice descrease in vram use.

Other mods need fine tunning, so this isn't as much as plug n' play.

Agreed I always do one at a time. Sometimes for mods like the aMidianBorn Book of Silence optimizing to 2k is pointless since Cabal already seems to have optimized it. Then there are the water mods which I believe have issues with optimization

what is STATUS?
It's a mod that adds a new menu to MCM to display various information about the player and the game environment. It's a very helpful tool when testing mods.
Cool. Just grabbed it for kicks. Maybe someone will develop a RefScope for Skyrim next?