Landscape Texture Flicker

mooit

Question

Hi,

I thought I was running into a mods conflct, and in several landscape mods, if I hide dirt02.dds the problem went away.

Here's a video of some flicker shimmering, and just to the left of it, pay close attention and you'll also see the ground and rocks shake around.

After posting this, see my reply below...

Edited by mooit

12 answers to this question

After making the original post, I never thought to just run the game vanilla and test this, I assumed it was a mod conflict somewhere.

From a clean install of Skyrim I used that and started Skyrim from steam, 100% vanilla and loaded a save, and I see pretty much the same thing in vanilla skyrim.

So a vanilla bug?

Here's a video in vanilla skyrim. (not sure why the video didn't embed here)

https://vimeo.com/828237730?share=copy

Edited by mooit

In both videos, the first section, is only like 2 meters outside the gate at Whiterun. Then, when I walk forward to the second flicker in the first video, that's rignt next to the lookout on the left.

Then another section I didn't show, if you head towards the underpass, just before it on the left, I saw another section similar.

If I search for Blended Roads in Step, there's only the install settings used. I'm not sure what fix you are referring to?

I've tried before both Blended and Really Blended with the smim patches, no good...

THANKS

Edited by mooit

3 hours ago, mooit said:

In both videos, the first section, is only like 2 meters outside the gate at Whiterun. Then, when I walk forward to the second flicker in the first video, that's rignt next to the lookout on the left.

Then another section I didn't show, if you head towards the underpass, just before it on the left, I saw another section similar.

If I search for Blended Roads in Step, there's only the install settings used. I'm not sure what fix you are referring to?

I've tried before both Blended and Really Blended with the smim patches, no good...

THANKS

It all depends on the mesh overrides, so check the meshes for the roads and your install priority. Also note that it is likely variable, depending on the mods you are using that modify these areas.

I see this in Vanilla SSE, so I don't see how I'm fixing a vanilla issue.

For my setup, I've run it with only one mod enabled, Skyrim 202X, and still noticed the issue with only this one mod enabled. Then, the only way I could resolve it with just this one mod running was to hide;

textures > landscapes  > dirt02.dds

But then that didn't turn out good either, hiding dirt02.dds, because I wanted the look it was giving.

In several landscape mods, the conflict is with dirt02.dds.

So I'm not understanding, when I see this in vanilla, or with only one mod enabled, how this then is something on my setup causing this, that doesn't make sense.

I don't see how I can fix this, and DoubleYou said he recognized this as a vanilla bug... hmm

THANKS

Edited by mooit

So what you see here is z-fighting. Now, z-fighting occurs when two objects are so close together that they are clipping into each other. This is common along the roads, as it is near impossible to get the road and landscape to be both flush and not z-fight in some place. 

Now what Blended Roads does is it adds transparency into the base road models where previously there was a ground piece. This allows the road to "blend" with the landscape, and as a happy byproduct, I am fairly sure fixes the issue entirely. 

As to your setup, I don't know anything as regards to how a texture could alleviate this issue for you. 

11 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

So what you see here is z-fighting. Now, z-fighting occurs when two objects are so close together that they are clipping into each other. This is common along the roads, as it is near impossible to get the road and landscape to be both flush and not z-fight in some place. 

Now what Blended Roads does is it adds transparency into the base road models where previously there was a ground piece. This allows the road to "blend" with the landscape, and as a happy byproduct, I am fairly sure fixes the issue entirely. 

As to your setup, I don't know anything as regards to how a texture could alleviate this issue for you. 

I mentioned before that I've tried both Blended and Really Blended with the smim patches, and I just tried both without the smim patches, still no change.

This is also not my setup, I just found a clean game save and I ran SSE through Steam vanilla and loaded this save and it's still there.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2311

Unless someone knows of a fix, Blended Roads doesn't correct it for me, and it hasn't seen development in 3 years. So I made a post over at Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes, hopefully this is something wizkid34 will patch.

THANKS

Edited by mooit

17 hours ago, mooit said:

I mentioned before that I've tried both Blended and Really Blended with the smim patches, and I just tried both without the smim patches, still no change.

This is also not my setup, I just found a clean game save and I ran SSE through Steam vanilla and loaded this save and it's still there.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2311

Unless someone knows of a fix, Blended Roads doesn't correct it for me, and it hasn't seen development in 3 years. So I made a post over at Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes, hopefully this is something wizkid34 will patch.

THANKS

Again, you need to check the mesh conflicts and ensure that those wanted are winning in all cases. Use MIC to determine what meshes are in play and the source. Installing mods to fix this may not be enough, and manual intervention may be required in terms of asset priority.

7 hours ago, z929669 said:

Again, you need to check the mesh conflicts and ensure that those wanted are winning in all cases. Use MIC to determine what meshes are in play and the source. Installing mods to fix this may not be enough, and manual intervention may be required in terms of asset priority.

I mentioned before that I used a vanilla gave save I found on nexusmods and started the game vanilla and this is there. It's a vanilla bug, so I'm not sure what mesh conflicts you are referring to, with a vanilla game bug.

Hopefully this is in the scope of Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes and get's patched with it, or if ever Blended Roads picks up development again.

THANKS

Edited by mooit

2 hours ago, mooit said:

I mentioned before that I used a vanilla gave save I found on nexusmods and started the game vanilla and this is there. It's a vanilla bug, so I'm not sure what mesh conflicts you are referring to, with a vanilla game bug.

Hopefully this is in the scope of Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes and get's patched with it, or if ever Blended Roads picks up development again.

THANKS

You used a vanilla save game someone else made on Nexus? Well, that's the first problem. Just use MO to create a vanilla game and save yourself. Even if it's a vanilla game bug, it all comes down to meshes and doing the research like I said a couple of times. Totally resolveable, and you can't expect mods to fix everything, because so many variations exist.

2 hours ago, mooit said:

THANKS

The idea is that mods can fix vanilla game issues.

I certainly understand what's been mentioned, I've just not found anyway to fix it.

I used my own game saves, besides the one I downloaded, but I also just checked this out all vanilla and vanilla save, and also noticed this at Helgen too.

I'm not sure what mods if any can fix this at the moment.

If anyone figures out a fix for this, please let me know.

THANKS

Edited by mooit