DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MODS FOR SKYRIM AE AND SE VERSIONS

Guba

Question

Hello to this fine Community.
I'm an aged modder which is back to play Skyrim again after few years of absence.
I'm interested in knowing what are the differences, at the esp code level, between the mods created for the SE version and those created by the AE version.
I'm asking this because I have started to play Skyrim again because I read about the new AE version, so I was intrigued and I purchased it.
Then I have seen that there are issues, so I did a downgrade to SE, but then I read a review by GamerPoets, which is one of my favorite "helpers", who is discouraging to downgrade.
So I re-installed again AE. I did it also because I read that STEP was publishing a guide for installing an AE mod list, that seemed very interesting to me.
But I also installed, at my own risk, a series of mods that I loved (including my own mod, MUTIPLE MAGE LIGHT), that are all made for the SE version.
I have been playing AE for some days and I haven't encontered (yet) any problem, so I'm asking which are the differences, and if there is a way to patch these mods to make them  compatible for AE version. I'd like to use also old mods like Breezehome by Elianora) and to make patches for AE if possible.
Thanks for every explanation.

Edited by Guba

7 answers to this question

AE is the "latest" version of SE. They added four (4) "mods" with it. Also you could buy the extra cc- pack with a bunch of extra "mods".

STEP guide is built using the latest version and the extra pack. That said...

As always there is problem with SKSE-dependent mods when Skyrim SE/AE is updated. So also this time but most mods are now updated or have new NG-versions. (LIST HERE)

So most mods will work just like after all the other updates we had since SE launched... but ofc some mods may have issues with the new content just like new mods might have issues with old mods.

I have not seen that many clashes though. The step guide for AE is very much the same as it was for SE.

(I belive Breezehome is compatible since i dont think the new stuff touches that area)

Article about the added content: https://www.pcgamer.com/so-what-is-skyrim-anniversary-edition-and-what-does-it-actually-include/

Echoing what Mercury71 posted, and also keep in mind that Skyrim Legendary Edition (LE) can be considered to be a previous version of Skyrim.

Skyrim Special Edition (SE) is identical to Skyrim Anniversary Edition (AE), which is just a rebranding of SE with the four new vanilla plugins as Mercury71 described. So SE = AE to be clear. It's quite confusing, because most people (and Bethesda marketing) don't make this obvious. When you see mods supporting Skyrim v1.5.97, know that this is a deprecated version of SE prior to the release of AE (the new SE) and many mod authors still support it by popular demand (which adds to the confusion). Additionally, previous versions of AE are also supported by some mod authors. Ultimately, the versioning is a mess, because many obsolete versions of the game are still supported for modding: https://steamdb.info/app/489830/patchnotes/

The additional Creation Club (CC) mods for SE constitute the Anniversary Upgrade, which now costs $6 (down from $20) and can be purchased through Steam. This is the only version of Skyrim that Step supports today (though we still have the LE guide from years ago, but it's not actively supported). See the Guide links in the top menu of these forums for links to the Step Guides.

Just remember that Skyrim Anniversary Edition = Skyrim Special Edition (latest version of the game 1.6.640). Following our AE guide will give you the simplest path to modding the most current version of the game and teach you what is needed to navigate customizing things for yourself.

PS: please don't create topics in ALL CAPS.

14 hours ago, z929669 said:

Echoing what Mercury71 posted, and also keep in mind that Skyrim Legendary Edition (LE) can be considered to be a previous version of Skyrim.

Skyrim Special Edition (SE) is identical to Skyrim Anniversary Edition (AE), which is just a rebranding of SE with the four new vanilla plugins as Mercury71 described. So SE = AE to be clear. It's quite confusing, because most people (and Bethesda marketing) don't make this obvious. When you see mods supporting Skyrim v1.5.97, know that this is a deprecated version of SE prior to the release of AE (the new SE) and many mod authors still support it by popular demand (which adds to the confusion). Additionally, previous versions of AE are also supported by some mod authors. Ultimately, the versioning is a mess, because many obsolete versions of the game are still supported for modding: https://steamdb.info/app/489830/patchnotes/

The additional Creation Club (CC) mods for SE constitute the Anniversary Upgrade, which now costs $6 (down from $20) and can be purchased through Steam. This is the only version of Skyrim that Step supports today (though we still have the LE guide from years ago, but it's not actively supported). See the Guide links in the top menu of these forums for links to the Step Guides.

Just remember that Skyrim Anniversary Edition = Skyrim Special Edition (latest version of the game 1.6.640). Following our AE guide will give you the simplest path to modding the most current version of the game and teach you what is needed to navigate customizing things for yourself.

PS: please don't create topics in ALL CAPS.

OK, so as much as I can see it is very likely that mods which worked fine in SE will also work fine with AE.
The only current left problem (in critical mods) is with Dynamic Animation, which I do not use on this installation, also if it would be required for the mod I suggested, Skyrim Directional Combat that I don't use in this installation too.
But generally speaking, are there differences between the basic plugins plus the dlcs from SE to AE ?
Is it possible to make a comparison with any tool (like SSEdit) on the two versions?
I mean, in the 'FLOR', 'MISC' etc. headers? FOr example what is missing in one version and present in the other an so on?

>PS: please don't create topics in ALL CAPS.
OK. I will comply. Thanks.

Edited by Guba
added words for clarification

Just a note for the STEP AE List Compiler.

When I checked the compatibility list that you posted here, I have checked what I have in my list and I have found that there is installed the uncompatible version of "Whose Quest is it Anyway". Obviously I've got it from the STEP list.
The compatibility list says that the right version whould be the "Whose Quest is it Anyway NG" version of the mod.
I replaced it into my load order. Did I do well?

37 minutes ago, Guba said:

OK, so as much as I can see it is very likely that mods which worked fine in SE will also work fine with AE.
The only current left problem (in critical mods) is with Dynamic Animation, which I do not use on this installation, also if it would be required for the mod I suggested, Skyrim Directional Combat that I don't use in this installation too.
But generally speaking, are there differences between the basic plugins plus the dlcs from SE to AE ?
Is it possible to make a comparison with any tool (like SSEdit) on the two versions?
I mean, in the 'FLOR', 'MISC' etc. headers? FOr example what is missing in one version and present in the other an so on?

>PS: please don't create topics in ALL CAPS.
OK. I will comply. Thanks.

In essence, mods made for SE are 100% compatible with AE, EXCEPT when SKSE dll's are involved.

So mods like Breezehome are no problem.

A mod like DAR is a problem, because it hasn't been updated to the latest SKSE version. However most SKSE mods have by now been updated. Some mods have been updated to an NG version (NG = Next Generation) which are less prone to breaking in case Bethesda decides to update Skyrim again. So when having the option, download the NG version.

EDIT: You were adding a message while I was typing this ;) Yes, you did well installing Whose Quest is it Anyway NG.

Edited by ButchDiavolo

10 minutes ago, Guba said:

Just a note for the STEP AE List Compiler.

When I checked the compatibility list that you posted here, I have checked what I have in my list and I have found that there is installed the uncompatible version of "Whose Quest is it Anyway". Obviously I've got it from the STEP list.
The compatibility list says that the right version whould be the "Whose Quest is it Anyway NG" version of the mod.
I replaced it into my load order. Did I do well?

First post in THIS thread has a list with current status for STEP Guide 2.1.0 and game version 1.6.640. This will all be sorted when new guide version 2.2.0 comes out soon.