Papyrus Tweaks NG (by Nightfallstorm)

z929669

I find it interesting that he recommends increasing iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus ini setting. Since he has reversed this, he likely knows what he is talking about, but that has been against the "accepted wisdom" for the setting. I never personally tested them. 

Following some of the discussion Nightfallstorm relates in the comments regarding iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus, it sounds like he knows what he is talking about, and it doesn't really surprise me. I remember on my old Intel HD Graphics, I had to increase these values, against the conventional wisdom, for my potato laptop to even play the scripts without failing due to how insanely slow it was.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

You were actually able to play Skyrim on Intel HD Graphics? I considered attempting to install Skyrim LE on a laptop back in the day, but the general consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Oh yes. It was quite miserable. Very weak laptop. Had to use HialgoBoost, which was a popular mod back in the day for potatoes that would pixelate the image to improve framerate. Some places were 15 fps. Pretty sure I prematurely killed the poor thing playing Skyrim. When I upgraded to a laptop with an AMD APU, I was in heaven by comparison.

Dang... this speeds everything up so much! I am rebuilding and testing my modlist (when am I not?). Menus open lightening fast, books etc do as well. It appears everything to do with pop-ups and screen changes are so much faster. I haven't done any real playthrough yet, but this bodes well, I think.

For references: I added iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=500000 in Skyrimcustom.ini under Papyrus (dunno if it belongs there) and iMaxOpsPerFrame = 750 in the downloadable ini file from the modpage.

When I am done testing my setup, I will do a short playthrough with papyrus logging on to see if it causes any errors/ weirdness.

• +1 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Dang... this speeds everything up so much! I am rebuilding and testing my modlist (when am I not?). Menus open lightening fast, books etc do as well. It appears everything to do with pop-ups and screen changes are so much faster. I haven't done any real playthrough yet, but this bodes well, I think.

For references: I added iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=500000 in Skyrimcustom.ini under Papyrus (dunno if it belongs there) and iMaxOpsPerFrame = 750 in the downloadable ini file from the modpage.

When I am done testing my setup, I will do a short playthrough with papyrus logging on to see if it causes any errors/ weirdness.

@DoubleYou Is the best person to confirm what INI these belong to. There's console commands that can be used to determine this stuff, but I am not sure how to use that offhand. iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes belongs in Skyrim.ini but not sure about the other one. probably same, so I think SkyrimCustom.ini works for both.

Thanks for testing this.

18 minutes ago, z929669 said:

@DoubleYou Is the best person to confirm what INI these belong to. There's console commands that can be used to determine this stuff, but I am not sure how to use that offhand. iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes belongs in Skyrim.ini but not sure about the other one. probably same, so I think SkyrimCustom.ini works for both.

'iMaxOpsPerFrame' is the first 'Tweaks' setting in the mod's own 'PapyrusTweaks.ini'

;Maximum papyrus operations per frame. Higher number means better script performance on average

;Has a very minor impact on framerate, and varies from script to script. (Default: 500, Vanilla value: 100). Recommended Range: 100-2000. Set to 0 to disable

iMaxOpsPerFrame = 500

1 hour ago, CorneliusC said:

'iMaxOpsPerFrame' is the first 'Tweaks' setting in the mod's own 'PapyrusTweaks.ini'

;Maximum papyrus operations per frame. Higher number means better script performance on average

;Has a very minor impact on framerate, and varies from script to script. (Default: 500, Vanilla value: 100). Recommended Range: 100-2000. Set to 0 to disable

iMaxOpsPerFrame = 500

Got it. Just saying that this works because it overrides a standard game setting that should be attributed to either Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini (I assume). Ultimately, I believe that all INI settings can be ascribed to Skyrim.ini, but I'm not 100% certain. DY is our authority on this (given all of his work with config settings via BethINI). But some are meant to be user level (SkyrimPrefs.ini) versus game level (Skyrim.ini), IIRC.

Then we can update our INI guides likewise:

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:Skyrim_INI

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:SkyrimPrefs_INI

39 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus works in Skyrim.ini or SkyrimCustom.ini. It won't work in SkyrimPrefs.ini. 

'SkyrimCustom.ini' is a file that a user has to set up for themselves, it is not auto-generated? (I don't have this file)

I set 'iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus' as said via the customs tab, section 'Papyrus' in BethINI. Is it not better to set up everything the same way, as a standard, like for example everything via BethINI?

Edited by CorneliusC