Papyrus Tweaks NG (by Nightfallstorm)

z929669

33 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

'SkyrimCustom.ini' is a file that a user has to set up for themselves, it is not auto-generated? (I don't have this file)

I set 'iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus' as said via the customs tab, section 'Papyrus' in BethINI. Is it not better to set up everything the same way, as a standard, like for example everything via BethINI?

SkyrimCustom.ini is auto-generated by MO I think. I don't know what triggers it to autogenerate. It's a mystery settings file that is somewhat bewildering, and I think it overrides any game INI setting, but not sure.

I would use BethINI to manage any INI settings that are not set by a mod plugin. This will probably be added to the guide if DY agrees.

I never set anything manually (outside of quick testing), and SkyrimCustom.ini usually behaves or at least is 100% redundant with game settings, but sometimes it conflicts, which is a problem, IMO. I personally hate that file.

3 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

'SkyrimCustom.ini' is a file that a user has to set up for themselves, it is not auto-generated? (I don't have this file)

I set 'iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus' as said via the customs tab, section 'Papyrus' in BethINI. Is it not better to set up everything the same way, as a standard, like for example everything via BethINI?

You are correct. I personally am against the usage of the custom INI, as there is no need for its existence. It can only override Skyrim.ini (it does NOT override SkyrimPrefs.ini by default), so it adds unnecessary redundancy. 

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

SkyrimCustom.ini is auto-generated by MO I think. I don't know what triggers it to autogenerate. It's a mystery settings file that is somewhat bewildering, and I think it overrides any game INI setting, but not sure.

I've seen it mysteriously autogenerated on a few occasions when I least expected it and I never really attempted to track down what creates or it why. I think BethINI has an option to Modify Custom INIs, but I leave it unchecked and I usually run BethINI once during initial setup of a new profile. I also agree with DoubleYou that the SkyrimCustom.ini doesn't seem to be all that useful because it can't override anything in SkyrimPrefs.ini.

18 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes:Papyrus works in Skyrim.ini or SkyrimCustom.ini. It won't work in SkyrimPrefs.ini. 

*nods* During my long modding "career" *rubs long white-grey beard*, I was told multiple times that one should keep the original Skyrim.ini as clean as possible and to put edits/tweaks in the SkyrimCustom.ini. It seems to have always worked for me, but I am not entirely sure if that is "good modding behavior". Anyway, that is the reason why I put the tweak in SkyrimCustom.ini.

Anyway, I did a limited playthrough with this mod. I played past Dragon Rising, which all went smoothly and with no problems whatsoever. I then checked the papyrus log (and other logs) to see if I could see any weirdness. Apart from a "DA13playerscript non-object" spamming (most likely caused by "The Only Cure extended"), there were no strange behaviors that I could find.

Some background on my "STEP Extended" modlist as it is now, which may or may not be of interest: I have 575 mods installed with 511 plugins ( 144 regular/ 367 lights). The rest are mainly texture/mesh mods. I use parallax texture/meshes (No ground parallax!). I have a few very script heavy mods. I do not have the full AE package installed, so also don't have the STEP patches. I am using STEP Light ENB. And so far it is all purring along nicely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

*nods* During my long modding "career" *rubs long white-grey beard*, I was told multiple times that one should keep the original Skyrim.ini as clean as possible and to put edits/tweaks in the SkyrimCustom.ini. It seems to have always worked for me, but I am not entirely sure if that is "good modding behavior". Anyway, that is the reason why I put the tweak in SkyrimCustom.ini.

/snip

That seems like a 'good' practice for those NOT using BethINI, but I wish we had an easy way to disable SkyrimCustom.ini in MO.

Thanks for reporting. I also have this installed and no issues thus far --but not really tested much, as I'm holding for Bug Fixes and Srambled Bugs updates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mod had major update to v4.0 and should be checked for anything which could affect v2.2.0 of the guide

• Version 4.0

• Fixed INI setting with IsHostileToActor crash fix
    • Split up tweaks section into VMTweaks and Logger Tweaks. VMTweaks is aimed for everyone to tweak the script engine to their liking, while Logger Tweaks is aimed for mod authors/power users who want to improve papyrus logging. All INI settings should migrate over, but double-check your INI settings after first launch with the update to be sure!
    • Added tweak to enable loading of doc strings
    • Added tweak to enable loading of debug information
    • Added fix for rare bug where scripts break completely if 1. They load on demand (aka not immediately in the main menu with most scripts) 2. They reference a script that doesn't exist/isn't in the modlist and 3. Some previous script loaded earlier and also tried to reference the same invalid script instance
  • Like 1