Enhanced Volumetric Lighting and Shadows (by LonelyKitsuune)

DoubleYou

I installed this yesterday. I had no choice since the original author of DVLaS has hidden his mod and advised to use this one.

I made some tests before deciding to use and merged the additional plugin in my DynDOLOD.esp.

(Not ready to move to Dyndolod 3.00 since I have a long mods lists tweaked over the years).

So far so good but this mod make nights extremely dark when it's raining.

This mod is good combination with Cathedral Weathers in my mods list.

Edited by gamingsrc
Spelling.

3 hours ago, gamingsrc said:

I installed this yesterday. I had no choice since the original author of DVLaS has hidden his mod and advised to use this one.

I made some tests before deciding to use and merged the additional plugin in my DynDOLOD.esp.

(Not ready to move to Dyndolod 3.00 since I have a long mods lists tweaked over the years).

So far so good but this mod make nights extremely dark when it's raining.

This mod is good combination with Cathedral Weathers in my mods list.

Thanks for the feedback

• 4 weeks later...

From RAID author:

As for EVLaS, yes that is compatible, but EVLaS breaks detection balance as the detection system still uses the old shadow positions - this results in large dark shaded areas at dusk that still receive the full light levels from sunlight. Same problem at night. To state the obvious, this is a problem for all EVLaS users, and has nothing to do with RAID Weathers.

To which EVLaS author replied:

... I've tested it myself and EVLaS does not break any stealth or shadow mechanics.

However, LODs, the Underside and Objects with Transparency (Leaves and co.) are simply ingnored by game. So it's the game's fault.

EVLaS just makes the fault that much more apparent.

So what this means is it's not really the mod itself, but rather the fact that the game simply ignores shadows casted from certain references. These reference have extra shadows caused by EVLaS. However, I would disagree with EVLaS author for the simple fact that if the shadow doesn't exist in vanilla, then it's the mod's fault because the mod is causing the extra shadows. Thus, vanilla wouldn't actually be broken for any of the things he listed off with the exception of transparency.

I believe I have experienced this while trying to hide in the shadow of a mountain. It was rather hard for me to see, but enemies could see me just fine. I doubt this issue can be fixed as it would require hooking into the code game. It's along the same issue as GLL being tied to grass lighting. That has yet been fixed so I doubt this would ever get a fix. It's just something to be aware of that this mod does create some breaks in the games detection for certain, extra shadows added.

I agree that it's the game's issue and neither of these mods. EVLaS increases realism by creating shadows where they should be, and RAID does so as well by leveraging the limited shadows the game understands. Neither author can account for the limitations of the games ability to recognize any shadows that should be in the game. I assume it should be possible to use SPID and a new mod to correct this. Seems like RAID's arena of interest to do so.

32 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I agree that it's the game's issue and neither of these mods. EVLaS increases realism by creating shadows where they should be, and RAID does so as well by leveraging the limited shadows the game understands. Neither author can account for the limitations of the games ability to recognize any shadows that should be in the game. I assume it should be possible to use SPID and a new mod to correct this. Seems like RAID's arena of interest to do so.

SPID is not going to fix this. It's a code-level issue. It would be better suited for something like Engine Fixes or Scrambled Bugs.

21 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

SPID is not going to fix this. It's a code-level issue. It would be better suited for something like Engine Fixes or Scrambled Bugs.

I mean for the changes to weather mods' imageSpace records for the GLL algorighm. The "new mod" I mentioned would be for the engine-level tweaks to let the game recognize more objects as casting shadows ... I confused SPID with Base Object Swapper ... but things like this that dynamically make changes via SKSE

In short: programmatic changes wizardry whatever it may be.