Jumping items

anonymouselbow

Question

I haven't installed any mods yet as this is my first playthrough but I found this website and the useful guides wondering if this might be an acceptable place to ask a question not specifically related to the STEP install.  I can see the items jumping from food tables like plates, but also when I found myself in the Whiterun Dungeon there was a very loud and fast repeating sound like something inside the guard's desk was jumping up and down.

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, anonymouselbow said:

I haven't installed any mods yet as this is my first playthrough but I found this website and the useful guides wondering if this might be an acceptable place to ask a question not specifically related to the STEP install.  I can see the items jumping from food tables like plates, but also when I found myself in the Whiterun Dungeon there was a very loud and fast repeating sound like something inside the guard's desk was jumping up and down.

Sounds like general plugin conflicts (sound issues) and havok problems (INI issues).

We assist people with general modding and provide the Step guides as a tool to learn how to mod these games correctly. If you are using a general guide from elsewhere and you are not a seasoned modder of Bethesda games, you have a very long road ahead of you.

Rather than waste your own time or that of others, please consider carefully going through our current Step guide, which will give you a stable build and teach you the best practices in the process. Then you can tuck this build away using an MO instance and proceed with the off-site build you mention using the modding environment we recommend.

It will ultimately save you time and provide you with most of your answers before you even ask the questions. ;)

14 minutes ago, anonymouselbow said:

I have not looked at a guide from other than the STEP website.

I'm okay with the graphics and sound effects behaving oddly, I more or less just curious what the cause might be if known.

Thanks for mention of SSE Display Tweaks.

Exploding clutter is an havok issue, as is the moving stuff on tables. This will always be a bit of an issue when sitting (you or NPCs) at tables, though. Not sure why but my guess is the collision box about the NPC/player causes it when sitting.

22 minutes ago, anonymouselbow said:

I have not looked at a guide from other than the STEP website.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you meant "this (other) website" in that sentence and not "this (our) website". We often get questions from people following other modding guides (since many of those 'guides' are more mod lists than guides).

Okay thanks, I will try variables with NPC and PC distances to items and objects.

As for the Whiterun Dungeon sounds, I could hear it as soon as my character landed in the instance through the dungeon door, but I was roleplaying so didn't just try to open up the desk or kill the guards focused only on trying to figure out what the source of the sound is because it seemed more like a bug rather than an intended design.

Yes, although I'm interested in mods and mod lists, I more first want to comprehend the settings or the what's, before downloading/installing any mods.

23 minutes ago, anonymouselbow said:

Okay thanks, I will try variables with NPC and PC distances to items and objects.

As for the Whiterun Dungeon sounds, I could hear it as soon as my character landed in the instance through the dungeon door, but I was roleplaying so didn't just try to open up the desk or kill the guards focused only on trying to figure out what the source of the sound is because it seemed more like a bug rather than an intended design.

Yes, although I'm interested in mods and mod lists, I more first want to comprehend the settings or the what's, before downloading/installing any mods.

Our guides are written in such a way as to (at least partly) explain the 'why' along with the 'how'. If you go through the guide, one of your first exercises will be setting up you environment for success. This alone will prevent all sorts of other issues. Then you will get to Tools setup and preliminary INI configuration. After all mods are installed (and configured), you will be prompted to make some adjustments befitting your performance and preferences. Then LODGen and mod config via GUI. The process can be used with almost any mod list, given mod prioritization and installation instructions. Simply substitute all of the mod tables with mods from that list and follow the LODGen instructions and mod configs as they apply to the new list.

Skyrim still has a lot of bugs, glitches and quirks that remain 10 years after its initial release and despite the numerous updates and re-releases.

I understand your desire to experience the game in a first play-through as it was originally designed. Depending on your tolerance level for game-breaking, immersion-breaking or  merely annoying issues, mods can become quite useful if not necessary. Mods are not just for making the game look prettier or for transforming the gameplay. Among the thousands of mods available for Skyrim, a good portion of them are solely intended to fix issues or to improve certain systems without altering them gameplay-wise.

This hasn't been mentioned in all the answers so far: to minimize physics issues without any mods, don't run the game at more than 60 FPS. This will prevent objects from flying or exploding, but not from shaking.

11 hours ago, anonymouselbow said:

Update, started a new game, I made my way back to that same Whiterun Dungeon room and the sound was not there, so remains a mystery.

As has been mentioned already, objects shaking can be caused by NPCs being near them and colliding with them (e.g. sitting at a dining table full of clutter). The noise you hear is simply a consequence of the objects shaking and bumping against another surface. When you entered the same room in your new playthrough, the NPC in question may have been in a slightly different position, avoiding the collision.

6 hours ago, Mousetick said:

This hasn't been mentioned in all the answers so far: to minimize physics issues without any mods, don't run the game at more than 60 FPS. This will prevent objects from flying or exploding, but not from shaking.

Using SSE Display Tweaks resolves the 60 FPS soft cap on havok issues. You can run well over this limit when using this mod. Using only this mod with SSE Engine Fixes and SKSE over vanilla should resolve.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

Using SSE Display Tweaks resolves the 60 FPS soft cap on havok issues. You can run well over this limit when using this mod. Using only this mod with SSE Engine Fixes and SKSE over vanilla should resolve.

You're absolutely right and I agree 100%. However the OP doesn't seem keen on using any mods and it looks like they only want to use console commands or INI tweaks. Which is why I made the suggestion of not going beyond 60 FPS, as that doesn't require any mod.

31 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

You're absolutely right and I agree 100%. However the OP doesn't seem keen on using any mods and it looks like they only want to use console commands or INI tweaks. Which is why I made the suggestion of not going beyond 60 FPS, as that doesn't require any mod.

Yep, I agree you are replying within the understood context. I guess I am just suggesting that @anonymouselbow install SKSE, SSE Engine Fixes, and SSE Display Tweaks. These don't really mod the game per se with assets but rather with respects to some very basic script fixes for a more stable game. I would also recommend installing USSEP for a near-fully vanilla game with all baseline fixes applied.