Real Wood Textures - Farmhouses (by LucidAPs)

alphaniner

Discussion thread:

Real Wood Textures - Farmhouses by LucidAPs

Wiki Link

This mod provides "real wood" textures for farmhouses which are available in both a mossy and non-mossy version as well as 2K and 1K.

Is there a note about why it was decided to hide textures/architecture/farmhouse/WovenFence01_n.dds but not textures/architecture/farmhouse/WovenFence01.dds? The main texture is completely different to Vanilla (plank fence).

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul contains a WovenFence01_n.dds, but it appears upscaled version of the Vanilla normal map.

So unless there's something in an archive, we're left with a texture for a plank fence and a normal map for a woven fence.

2 hours ago, alphaniner said:

Is there a note about why it was decided to hide textures/architecture/farmhouse/WovenFence01_n.dds but not textures/architecture/farmhouse/WovenFence01.dds? The main texture is completely different to Vanilla (plank fence).

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul contains a WovenFence01_n.dds, but it appears upscaled version of the Vanilla normal map.

So unless there's something in an archive, we're left with a texture for a plank fence and a normal map for a woven fence.

Good question. Could you post some screen compares with/without hiding? ... and verify the result of doing so (i.e., post screens of the normal and the diffuse textures seen in your photo editor). This is what we would do, so it would be a big help if you are so inclined. This mod has been around for a while, and sometimes mod instructions get updated incorrectly (or become deprecated due to changes in the source mods).

9 hours ago, z929669 said:

Good question. Could you post some screen compares with/without hiding? ... and verify the result of doing so (i.e., post screens of the normal and the diffuse textures seen in your photo editor). This is what we would do, so it would be a big help if you are so inclined. This mod has been around for a while, and sometimes mod instructions get updated incorrectly (or become deprecated due to changes in the source mods).

Here's some links because I can't figure out how to post images directly. I feel like I may be misunderstanding though because I have no idea what you mean by "with/without hiding" or "verify the result".

Vanilla: diffuse

Vanilla: normal

Real Wood Textures: diffuse

Real Wood Textures: normal

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul: normal

RWT and SRO are the only STEP mods that include the diffuse or normals in loose form, no idea about mods with BSAs.

1 hour ago, alphaniner said:

Here's some links because I can't figure out how to post images directly. I feel like I may be misunderstanding though because I have no idea what you mean by "with/without hiding" or "verify the result".

Vanilla: diffuse

Vanilla: normal

Real Wood Textures: diffuse

Real Wood Textures: normal

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul: normal

RWT and SRO are the only STEP mods that include the diffuse or normals in loose form, no idea about mods with BSAs.

Thanks. This confirms that SRO is enhancement of vanilla and that Real Wood is changing the fence completely (so we wouldn't use that fence in Step). You should be able to copy/paste directly into this editor in the future. You likely have a 2 Mb size limit though, so be sure to use jpg format where applicable.

With/wo hiding is: hide the texture vs unhide the texture.

Verify the result is: load the game with it hidden/unhidden to see the result (and get screen compares).

You will also want to be running the Step build when doing this, so that we can be assured that you don't have any other mods in the mix that we are not aware of. Go into MO and look at the conflicts for these textures (from mod information by double-clicking on the mod and viewing 'Conflicts" or from Data pane at right). There is also a MO setting that lets you look at conflicts from assets in BSAs.

My guess is that textures/architecture/farmhouse/WovenFence01.dds is supposed to be overridden by something but the normal is not, so we hide the one but not the other, since it is redundant.

57 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Thanks. This confirms that SRO is enhancement of vanilla and that Real Wood is changing the fence completely (so we wouldn't use that fence in Step). You should be able to copy/paste directly into this editor in the future. You likely have a 2 Mb size limit though, so be sure to use jpg format where applicable.

With/wo hiding is: hide the texture vs unhide the texture.

Verify the result is: load the game with it hidden/unhidden to see the result (and get screen compares).

You will also want to be running the Step build when doing this, so that we can be assured that you don't have any other mods in the mix that we are not aware of. Go into MO and look at the conflicts for these textures (from mod information by double-clicking on the mod and viewing 'Conflicts" or from Data pane at right). There is also a MO setting that lets you look at conflicts from assets in BSAs.

My guess is that textures/architecture/farmhouse/WovenFence01.dds is supposed to be overridden by something but the normal is not, so we hide the one but not the other, since it is redundant.

I'm not quite to the point where I can post in-game screenshots yet. Hopefully I'll get there soon so I can post what you actually wanted.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

that was my assumption.

Ditto.

Anyway, I finally got around to checking in-game. Turns out there's no difference whether both are hidden or unhidden. Which is not surprising because somebody surely would have noticed.

It's because SMIM replaces the mesh and it no longer points to these textures. Which explains why RWT has an optional "Farmhouses SMIM Patch". Not that it matters, but since I was curious here's screenshots:

STEP:

7Vfl7Ud.png

Farmhouses SMIM Patch installed, diffuse and normal unhidden:

2WNkN8l.png

Farmhouses SMIM Patch installed, diffuse hidden, normal unhidden (AKA zebrawood fences :D):

7YTM8Tt.png

Edited by alphaniner
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

I can tell you off the top of my head, that one is not redundant.

Verily. :laugh:

SRO provides both the diffuse and normal in this case. I'm not able to find an example in-game so easily, but I can see the difference in the CK depending on whether or not the RWT textures are hidden.

Edited by alphaniner

26 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

I can tell you off the top of my head, that one is not redundant.

22 minutes ago, alphaniner said:

Verily. :laugh:

SRO provides both the diffuse and normal in this case. I'm not able to get an ingame screen so easily, but I can see the difference in the CK depending on whether or not the RWT textures are hidden.

In which case, Tech is correct. We must hide those to get the SRO versions.

54 minutes ago, z929669 said:

In which case, Tech is correct. We must hide those to get the SRO versions.

I know this would be another discussion altogether, but I looked at the Vanilla texture and have to conclude the decision to use SRO was made before the High Res Texture Pack DLC came out.

Vanilla (original 4K):

gWLev5r.jpg

SRO (original 2K):

LCfhq5N.jpg

Edited by alphaniner

54 minutes ago, alphaniner said:

I know this would be another discussion altogether, but I looked at the Vanilla texture and have to conclude the decision to use SRO was made before the High Res Texture Pack DLC came out.

37 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I agree that the vanilla texture is better, but it likely doesn't blend well with surrounding textures. This would be an eval of SRO in totality versus SSE.

You need to take the normal map into account, as well, which is why in-game compare is needed. The normal often provides all the detail. If memory serves, vanilla is brighter in-game and it's quite a blurry mess. SRO is more noisy, which is more appropriate for a rock texture because solidness in color create bland, flatness on rocks. SRO doesn't have as many lichen spots, but the ones it does have are more detailed (some of vanilla's looks like bird poo :laugh:).