SKSE64 ini pre-download for lazy users (by Sagittarius22)

Mousetick

Discussion topic:
SKSE64 ini pre-download for lazy users by Sagittarius22
No Wiki Link yet

You're probably thinking "this is ridiculous". No so fast. The idea would be to simplify the installation of SKSE64 in MO, by eliminating most manual steps in the 'Data Files Installation' part of the guide.

SKSE64 mod installation procedure in MO:

• Either select SKSE archive in MO's downloads tab, right-click and select 'Install', or select 'Install Mod...' from MO's File menu, browse to and select the SKSE archive.
  • You're presented with the following window:

image.png

• Enter 'SKSE64' the Name field.
  • Expand the 'skse64_2_xx_yy' folder, as shown here:

image.png

• Select the the 'Data' folder, right-click and select 'Set as <data> directory'.

image.png

• The status line at the bottom of the window will now display "The content of <data> looks valid".

image.png

• Click OK.
  • Install 'SKSE64 ini pre-download for lazy users' normally as any other mod, or optionally rename it 'SKSE64' and merge it with the previous one.

That's it. No creating INI file by hand, no fiddling with 7zip or Windows Explorer. And MO makes sure the mod layout is correct.

This is good. If this is more easy than current i dont know. So used to work with skse myself now so i dont know what is best for new users.

At some point it would be nice to see someone that never modded Skyrim SE before to test the guide from scratch.

My only issue with mods like this is that it all is dependent on this mod being compliant with how we are installing SKSE under MO. If anything at all changes, then instructions are broken. There is only one way to install SKSE, and it's been the same for years. Our current instructions will always be correct. Just saying.

On 11/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, z929669 said:

My only issue with mods like this is that it all is dependent on this mod being compliant with how we are installing SKSE under MO. If anything at all changes, then instructions are broken. There is only one way to install SKSE, and it's been the same for years. Our current instructions will always be correct. Just saying.

I agree. Sometimes manual is just the way to go to prevent future maintenance issues due to dependencies becoming out of compliance.

Not only this, but these steps teach/remind users how to install manually install mods and create/edit files for modding. You'd be surprised by the number of users that don't know the basics.