Scrambled Bugs (by KernalsEgg)

Hestia

Discussion topic:
Scrambled Bugs by KernalsEgg
Wiki Link

For testing, set Bug Fixes SSE mod BugFixesSSE.config.txt: FixAbilityConditionBug.Enabled = False

This mod introduces engine bug fixes. Some are integrated in the current SE guide, but some aren't too. What I'm more interested at, is the 2nd enchantment effect bug fix. Also, the perk entry point bug where if you 2 apply-on-hit effects only 1 will work, this fixes it.

It's against the guidelines to repeat the mod description, but please take a look at the mod page and check out the things it fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

I was initially thinking Bug Fixes SSE may have fixed this issue since I seemed to remember it mentioned something about two effects, but it looks as if Bug Fixes SSE fixes ability conditions so it may be unrelated. From the change log:

Fixed ability condition bug sometimes wouldn't work properly if trying to apply 2 magic effects at same time and the first one failed...

14 hours ago, z929669 said:

I thought we already had the 2 on-hit-effects fix. Forget which mod though.

Will need to take a look ... unless you can do this research to confirm what this covers that we do not?

We do, but did you read the description? It actually does a lot more than that and the fixes can be enabled/disabled at will. There is only a single overlap with Bug Fixes, though, and it's just an alternative way of fixing that same bug. One fix or the other must be disabled if the two mods are used together, but besides that they are compatible.

9 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

We do, but did you read the description? It actually does a lot more than that and the fixes can be enabled/disabled at will. There is only a single overlap with Bug Fixes, though, and it's just an alternative way of fixing that same bug. One fix or the other must be disabled if the two mods are used together, but besides that they are compatible.

Which mod?

If you read the OP, the 2 effects bug is cited as the most attractive thing about this mod.

I have been looking at this mod myself. My initial thoughts are that it would be a great addition to STEP.

From the description page of v6. My comments are highlighted beside them:

Summary
Fixes

• Active Effect Conditions (default: enabled)
  • Floating-point error will eventually begin to prevent conditions of active effects from being updated. The longer the effect has been active for, the more frequently this happens. You can read more about it in this article. ----------> This is an alternative to a similar Active Effects fix in Bug Fixes, but the author of Scrambled Bugs claims theirs is a better fix. They conflict, so one or the other has to be turned off in the respective .ini. I have read others that agree the Scrambled Bugs version is better, although I don't understand it well enough to judge myself.

• Harvested Flags (default: enabled)
  • Flora and trees are saved when they are harvested, but not when they respawn. This means that flora and trees which have been harvested before will be harvested again when you save and load your game, if they are in a loaded cell at the time. ----------> This is an engine level equivalent of Wiseman's Flora Fixes or similar. Wiseman's Flora Fixes is incorporated into CACO, however it is safe (but redundant) to use both. As the Scrambled Bugs version is an engine level fix, it does not need patching or anything with other mods and is superior.

• Mod Armor Weight Perk Entry Point (default: enabled)
  • Instead of modifying the weight of just the armor you are wearing, the weight of the entire stack of that armor is modified. If you are familiar with The Steed Stone or the Conditioning and Unhindered perks then you will have encountered this before. You can read more about it in this article. ----------> Good fix that I don't believe STEP covers elsewhere.
  •  
  • Terrain Decals (default: enabled)
  • Decals such as those used for blood, footprints, and magic impacts cannot be applied to terrain in cells that have been partially unloaded.----------> Good fix that I don't believe STEP covers elsewhere.

• Training Menu Text (default: enabled)
  • The cost of the lesson displayed in the training menu will be higher or lower than you actually end up paying if the relevant skill is buffed or debuffed at the time.----------> Good fix that I don't believe STEP covers elsewhere.

Patches

• Apply Spell Perk Entry Points (default: disabled)
  • Rather than only being able to apply a single spell at once using perk entry points, any number of spells can be applied. ----------> Not sure if STEP covers this or not with upcoming mods per the above discussion. However it seems like a good fix if it is compatible. It is worth reading one of the stickied posts on the Nexus page that discusses the potential issues with this fix interacting with other mods.
  •  
  • Equip Best Ammo (default: disabled)
  • Automatically equip your best arrows or bolts when you equip a bow or crossbow instead of your worst arrows or bolts.----------> Covered by Unequip Quiver that also has more functionality. Leave this setting off.
  •  
  • Lockpicking Experience (default: enabled)
  • Earn experience every time you pick a lock instead of only the first time.----------> Good fix that I don't believe STEP covers elsewhere.
  •  
  • Multiple Enchantment Effects (default: enabled)
  • Your skill in Enchanting improves each of an enchantments effects, instead of only the costliest effect. This affects enchantments with multiple effects such as Chaos Damage and Fiery Soul Trap.----------> Good fix that I don't believe STEP covers elsewhere.

• Underfilled Soul Gems (default: disabled)
  • Trap only souls of the appropriate size in soul gems. See the optional downloads section if you want to change the "No soul gem large enough." notification to reflect this.----------> Covered by GIST that also has more functionality. Leave this setting off.

Enchantment Cost Fix
The value of player enchanted items and the amount of charge that player enchanted weapons drain is not saved. You can read more about it in this article.

This is only available as a separate download because it is a SKSE64 plugin and not a .NET Script Framework plugin, which is necessary because it relies on SKSE64 co-saves. ---------> This is covered by Enchantment Reload Fix, but the Scrambled Bugs version is a better fix. Read the article mentioned for the differences. Suggest removing Enchantment Reload Fix if this is accepted into STEP.

EDIT: I would also suggest changing an .ini setting in SSE Engine Fixes:
[Patches]

RegularQuicksaves = true

This has the beneficial side effect of quick saves also creating SKSE co-saves (because they are turned into regular saves), which the Enchantment Cost Fix above says they use.

Edited by Nebulous112

For completeness, here is the post I mention regarding Apply Spell Perk Entry Points (default: disabled)

SimonMagus616
  • premium
  • 1,793 posts
  • 407 kudos
31 March 2021, 7:20AM
I wanted to talk about the Apply Spell perk entry for a second. First off, thanks for this fix. This is a super annoying issue, so it's great to have a workaround.

Because the Vanilla game doesn't allow more than one Apply Spell perk to fire at once, there's no real reason for mod makers to implement the complex set of conditions that would be required to stop it from happening. Instead, we just let perk priority take it's place. As an example, in Adamant, I have four different perks that serve to upgrade the axe's bleed damage. Instead of building a web of conditions, I just make each perk higher priority than the last. That ensures that the highest level perk will always take precedent, since only one Apply Spell perk can fire at once. With this mod, all four of those perks will fire at once, dealing much more damage than intended. I quickly scanned Ordinator and found some examples of the same problem, though somewhat less extreme since a lot of Ordinator's perks are conditional on different, mutually exclusive types of power attacks. I'll check Vokrii later, but I'm sure I'll find some examples there as well.

For my specific case, this isn't a big deal. Now that this tool exists, I'll make sure to implement the conditions to support it in my next update of Adamant. The problem is that other mods won't update like this. I doubt Enai will update Ordinator or Vokrii for this, for instance, and I'm sure Requiem, Path of Sorcery, and Sperg won't be updated for it. I'd suggest keeping the feature disabled by default, since this fix is a strong case of "let the user beware."

If you're a user reading this, I'm honestly not sure what to suggest. The problem with Apply Spell perks is that you can't just quickly scan xEdit for conflicts. I guess the way I see myself using this fix going forward is essentially as a tool that will simplify compatibility between mods that would have needed a patch. Unfortunately if you want to use it along w/ a mod that doesn't expect its existence the only thing you can really do is check every perk in the mod and ensure that the conditions are correct.

Do note that you need to disable

On 4/22/2021 at 3:51 AM, Greg said:

I was initially thinking Bug Fixes SSE may have fixed this issue since I seemed to remember it mentioned something about two effects, but it looks as if Bug Fixes SSE fixes ability conditions so it may be unrelated. From the change log:

Do note that you need to disable that particular setting in either Bug Fixes SSE or Scrambled Bugs as having both active at once will crash your game, per my own experience with it and

• Active Effect Conditions
  • This is an alternative to the fix provided in Bug Fixes SSE. Instead of using a single global timer to update the conditions of active effects, individual local timers are used that are then reset when the elapsed time of the active effect is. Both mods can be installed together, but either the activeEffectConditions setting in ScrambledBugs.json or the FixAbilityConditionBug.Enabled setting in BugFixesSSE.config.txt must be disabled.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

So far in my general testing, I have no issues with this mod. While I have not validated what this mod fixes, I propose we accept it and validate in production.

Agreed... I have had no issues with this mod either and it provides some very desirable fixes.

• 5 months later...

This seems nitpicky and it can be confusing but it's actually .NET 5.0. .NET Framework (1.0 through 4.8) is exclusively for Windows whereas .NET 5.0 (and future version) is a cross-platform framework supported on Windows, Mac and Linux. The two may seem the same from some perspectives, but they are completely different beasts.