Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter Fixes (by kryptopyr)

TechAngel85

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Installing this update today, I believe we have accidentally missed the change in version 2.9 that added a patch for the orchish weapons to use its texture fixes alongside Better-Shaped Weapons. However, I'm unsure about this, and it probably needs a closer look.

I just checked this and updated this mod's and LW's wiki instructions accordingly.

23 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

However, I'm unsure about this, and it probably needs a closer look.

Yeah, me too. I decided to take a closer look. It really needs a very close look because I doubt anyone would really notice or be bothered by it.

The vanilla orcish weapons have a weird yellow-greenish shine on them. Before WACCF 2.9, it was fixed by WACCF in its plugin by applying an alternate texture set to the model. In WACCF 2.9 and later, the fix was moved out of the plugin and into the mesh themselves, overwriting the vanilla meshes. Not sure why it was done, probably to reduce conflicts and patches at the plugin level.

Vanilla mesh + textures > WACCF mesh + textures

image.pngimage.png

With LeanWolf meshes, the issue is the same. Greatsword has sheath according to STEP default selection.

LW mesh + Vanilla textures > LW mesh + WACCF textures

image.pngimage.png

Now the big question is why does WACCF provides a LW patch? I don't see any difference visually between the original LW mesh and the WACCF-patched LW mesh.

LW original mesh + WACCF textures > WACCF-LW mesh + WACCF textures

image.pngimage.png

There is actually at least one difference inside the mesh, which I noticed because NifSkope threw a warning:

One or more textures dimensions are not a power of two.
textures/cubemaps/ore_obsidian_waf_e.dds is 3072x512

LW original mesh uses textures/cubemaps/ore_obsidian_e.dds while WACCF-LW mesh uses textures/cubemaps/ore_obsidian_waf_e.dds.

Looking into this further, I believe that this may have been a fix/improvement at one point, but currently this cubemap change is incorrect. Cubemap textures are typically represented as a cross shaped texture, but not all image editors know how to properly load them and export them for the special format necessary to be a proper cubemap. The provided texture is not a proper cubemap:

Vanilla cubemap (correct design):

image.png

WACCF cubemap

image.png

It looks like at one point the cubemap was probably created correctly, but someone came along and "optimized" it or something, so now the cubemap is no longer a cubemap.

Therefore, I recommend we revert to our previous instructions, skipping this mesh "patch," as the fix itself is bogus. It is unclear what the author is trying to fix here, but I expect this is a lack of understanding about cubemaps.

Also, our instructions for Quality Cubemaps should be revised to unhide the corresponding cubemap, since the reason for hiding it was previously a file conflict with this texture I do believe. As it is, I see no conflicts with the textures/cubemaps/ore_obsidian_e.dds vanilla replacement.

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Yeah, me too. I decided to take a closer look. It really needs a very close look because I doubt anyone would really notice or be bothered by it.

Yeah, I noticed this too and decided that Dr Monops must've purposefully made the changes for some reason. I did not investigate further.

WACCF wins in our LO (these specific meshes are not in the WACCF BSA).

Those choosing not to use WACCF will get Leanwolf's version.

18 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Looking into this further, I believe that this may have been a fix/improvement at one point, but currently this cubemap change is incorrect. Cubemap textures are typically represented as a cross shaped texture, but not all image editors know how to properly load them and export them for the special format necessary to be a proper cubemap. The provided texture is not a proper cubemap:

Vanilla cubemap (correct design):

image.png

WACCF cubemap

image.png

It looks like at one point the cubemap was probably created correctly, but someone came along and "optimized" it or something, so now the cubemap is no longer a cubemap.

Therefore, I recommend we revert to our previous instructions, skipping this mesh "patch," as the fix itself is bogus. It is unclear what the author is trying to fix here, but I expect this is a lack of understanding about cubemaps.

Also, our instructions for Quality Cubemaps should be revised to unhide the corresponding cubemap, since the reason for hiding it was previously a file conflict with this texture I do believe. As it is, I see no conflicts with the textures/cubemaps/ore_obsidian_e.dds vanilla replacement.

Confirmed.

Rather than work around this, I'd like to report it to the MA.

EDIT: Reported. Thanks both for the closer looks.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Mod updated on Nexus.

• Version 2.9.5

• Added CNAMs to Bonemold placeholder recipes to avoid potential CTDs with Constructible Object Custom Keyword System.
    • Moved a handful of leveled lists/leveled list changes from CCOR to WACCF to simplify patching.