Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks (by crazy-g)

stoppingby4now

Discussion thread:
Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks by crazy-g
Wiki Link

More of your remapped keys will work instead of having to use the hard coded ones, and optionally allows binding commands to the numpad by removing the hotkey commands from there.

This mod is designed to work with the key selections you assigned in-game, there is no need to edit it unless you want to.

• 4 months later...

It is not a utility like a mod organizer, etc.; if you use it you don't just use it periodically. It changes key bindings, so IMO it belongs in Interface mods. However, it is not needed by many Skyrim users who are satisfied with the existing bindings or who don't realize the limitations of the default key bindings including multiple keys bound to the same action. This mod includes some fixes/changes that result in more sensible key bindings.

Fact of the matter is, it's an "odd ball" mod that can be skipped by many that don't need it, do not want it, or want to use a different mod in its place. The mass majority of mods in STEP will benefit everyone. This one does not and the users that don't know what it's purpose is or don't need a mod such as this might install it only because it's included in the main STEP mod tables. Thus, it might not be a utility but it fits into that section because of it's nature and it's "choice" use by users. I'm of the opinion we should not include mods in STEP that only benefit one group of users. Many 3rd person mods have been turned away for this very reason and this mod should not be an exception to that same reasoning.

I don't see this as an interface mod by itself, since it does not add anything new to the interface. It only affects the key binding behavior, which seems like a utility; however, if combined with Skyrim Key Helper, I think that you can alter the interface in terms of the key 'hints' appearing on-screen. This is an interface mod, and we should include both of these mods as a single solution.

The point I'm trying to make is that not all find it useful so why include it in the main mod tables? It no different than not including Player Headtracking because it only affects 3rd person players and saying it should be in a 3rd person pack. Well, this mod doesn't affect all players (isn't needed by all players) just like the 3rd person mods we've discussed and thus shouldn't be in the main tables. We can't have two or three different standards just because we feel like it or STEP will become chaotic. The same standard that applies to the third person mods should apply to the rest as well meaning if this mod is kept it should be moved out of the main tables since it only affects a sub-group of players and not all.

If my point is overruled, then it should, at the very least, have a note attached to it saying something along the lines of only installing it if you need its features.

This mod is used every time the Skyrim starts, just like the ini files, and affects how Skyrim interfaces with users (just like parts of ini files). You don't just run it once and then its job is done. The tool that creates the key binding file (a text editor) is certainly a utility. It's hard for me to relate a file (this mod is the file itself) to the computer-related definition in the Merriam Webster definition of the noun utility "a program or routine designed to perform or facilitate especially routine operations (as copying files or editing text) on a computer". The word "choice" doesn't appear in the definition.

I agree that a mod that is only used by a subset of users likely does not belong in core STEP. But I think that it is reasonable to include these in STEP packs where the usage of the mod is optional. There are a lot of other mods that are only useful for a subset of Skyrim users. Examples include dual-wield mods, guild-specific mods (thieves, magic users, ...), werewolf/vampire mods for users transforming their characters into one of these, etc. There are a number of mods in SR that I'll never use because they aren't relevant to the particular roles I play in Skyrim, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful, valid mods for inclusion in a STEP pack nor does it mean they should they be in a "utility" section because they aren't relevant to most users. Whether the mod belongs in the main STEP pack depends on the percentage of users that would use the mod and the importance of the mod to these users. If STEP packs are only going to include mods that are used by almost all users the packs will be a lot smaller.

For me, the more important discussion is the usefulness of the mod. If it's only used by a small group then maybe it should be in a pack of mods with similar usage properties.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

...for example, I use it with my ps2 numberpad (cherry red).  Its pretty useful for any sort of even slightly exotic keyboard lay-out or irregular user interface hardware.

It worked cleanly for me, but I would like to know if any limitations or interference has been noticed.  

Edited by boycad