NVIDIA Inspector

Hello,

I just want to draw your attention to an inconsistency in the STEP guide regarding AF setting.

1.E.1.2. Nvidia Users

Force Anisotropic filtering:

1. Set Anisotropic filtering mode to [user-defined / Off]
  2. Set Anisotropic filtering setting to [16x]

But then if you click on Detailed Information --> Nvidia Inspector Guide: Editing Skyrim Settings

it will list:

Notice:Users not using ENBoost should set Anisotropic filtering setting as indicated below. ENBoost users should ensure the Anisotropic filtering setting is off and set ForceAnisotropicFiltering is set to true in the enblocal.ini file.

Anisotropic filtering mode This should be set to User-defined / Off. Anisotropic filtering setting Recommended value is 16x; however, a very slight performance gain can be achieved with a lower setting. It is not recommended to drop below 8x. Setting this to a high value like 16x as recommended, may cause texture shimmering in mid to long range texture LODs. If this happens, adjusting the LOD bias value can help to remedy the issue. To learn how to do this, visit the Advanced Settings section below.

I'm guessing the AF setting should be set according to the Notice on the NVIDIA Inspector guide page? Could I please have some clarification? Thanks.

Edited by TenshoHappyCat

It really didn't matter which you use (driver or enb). The only difference is the enb AF skips some textures Boris claims shouldn't have AF processed on them, whereas driver AF will process all textures. I used to be able to tell a very, slightly better quality when using drivers. The difference is so small that most users would never perceive it unless they're using super high resolution textures.

It really didn't matter which you use (driver or enb). The only difference is the enb AF skips some textures Boris claims shouldn't have AF processed on them, whereas driver AF will process all textures. I used to be able to tell a very, slightly better quality when using drivers. The difference is so small that most users would never perceive it unless they're using super high resolution textures.

Ok thanks! So I shouldn't have both ENBoost and the driver AF enabled, just one or the other?

Looking forward to Step 3.0!

Edited by TenshoHappyCat

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone check and confirm that the second link to the tool i added is correct and it is the same program and STEP does not specifically need the older version?

If github is fine, we may want to delete the guru3d link?!

Looks okay. Same author. I didn't know there was a github so thank you for that!