SkyRealism - Balanced Perk Trees (by IndigoNeko)

MTichenor

I just released yet another mod in the SkyRealism series. I figure that since nearly all of them have been submitted (and accepted) to both STEP and GEMS, I should probably recommend this one as well for those of you who are interested.

SkyRealism - Balanced Perk Trees

It got bumped off the SkyrimNexus front page within the first half hour it was up, so I doubt it will ever get any of the attention it probably should. Those who've tried it though, like it. Cheers!  ;)

~IndigoNeko / MTichenor

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it! Only two issues I can foresee.

One, IMO, it may be putting some people off having to start a new game. I completely understand the reason for this though.

And two, I use another mod that would obviously conflict with this one: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/7308

Though, I like what you have done here and think I would leave this mod behind for yours instead.

Does this mod conflict with any of the balancing mods? Specifically, I use Balanced Magic.

I just released yet another mod in the SkyRealism series. I figure that since nearly all of them have been submitted (and accepted) to both STEP and GEMS, I should probably recommend this one as well for those of you who are interested.

SkyRealism - Balanced Perk Trees

It got bumped off the SkyrimNexus front page within the first half hour it was up, so I doubt it will ever get any of the attention it probably should. Those who've tried it though, like it. Cheers!  ;)

~IndigoNeko / MTichenor

Thanks.... I personally use all of your mods. Keep up the good work.

@techangel85

Actually, I don't think the Skill Interface Retexture will cause any problems, unless they change the shape of the constellations. I've never seen that mod before, but it's actually pretty awesome. Wish I'd seen it before!

@Farlo

I've gone ahead and sent you a message on SkyrimNexus. I assume you've got the same username.

@z929669

Fairly sure I've seen your username on SkyrimNexus too...it's rather hard to forget someone's name that starts with a z and a long string of numbers, even if I have no clue what the numbers are. :-p

@techangel85

Actually, I don't think the Skill Interface Retexture will cause any problems, unless they change the shape of the constellations. I've never seen that mod before, but it's actually pretty awesome. Wish I'd seen it before!

They use the default constellation shapes. I actually was thinking yours changed the shape (position of the perk stars). I suppose as long as they fit with the default shapes they all will be well. Thanks!

I do change the position of the perk stars. The vanilla skyrim perk trees don't match the constellations, which is one of the things I changed...I tried to make sure that the perk tree shapes match the constellations as closely as possible. I think I did a pretty good job, with the exception of the pickpocket tree.

@techangel85

I actually wrote a BAIN Wizard for that one, as it was very confusing to disentangle all possible options (I like options)

@z929669

Fairly sure I've seen your username on SkyrimNexus too...it's rather hard to forget someone's name that starts with a z and a long string of numbers, even if I have no clue what the numbers are. :-p

It was my student ID# in college .... looong time ago. It just stuck :turned:

I'm not an expert in magic...if you have balance suggestions for the magic perk trees, I'd love to hear about them.

Everyone says that destruction needed more damage, so I added perks that do exactly that, but I don't know anything about balancing the other perk trees since I've never played a mage-primary class.

I've come up with a couple quick suggestions after reading through all the magic edits:

• Magic regenerates 50% faster while in combat (this offsets mage-only characters lack of a weapon which would use stamina)
  • Armor doesn't increase spell costs (this is to balance the vulnerability of mage-only characters as any character playing the game without armor is almost guaranteed a death sentence at higher levels. So mages shouldn't be penalized for wearing armor. I personally never understood the logic behind this penalty with mages...magic requires no more (maybe less) movement than welding a weapon.)

I've come up with a couple quick suggestions after reading through all the magic edits:

• Magic regenerates 50% faster while in combat (this offsets mage-only characters lack of a weapon which would use stamina)
  • Armor doesn't increase spell costs (this is to balance the vulnerability of mage-only characters as any character playing the game without armor is almost guaranteed a death sentence at higher levels. So mages shouldn't be penalized for wearing armor. I personally never understood the logic behind this penalty with mages...magic requires no more (maybe less) movement than welding a weapon.)
The other side of the argument:

Mages are not the brutish, armor-wearing types that warriors are (neither are thieves for that matter). mages don't go seeking battle but rather devising ways to defeat their enemies in more eloquent fashion. There is just an natural clash between mage and warrior. This is why battlemages are decent at both but not great at either. It takes time and discipline to master any craft, so spreading oneself thin across more than one should lessen the mastery of both.

this is the rationale for penalizing mages when wearing armor ... they either don't know how to handle themselves while wearing it, or they do, and have sacrificed some of their time learning learning one craft for the other.

I am all for the class penlites established long ago by the wisdom of Dungeons and Dragons, which is based on the nature of men ... alchemists are almost never warriors or the inverse ;)

I've never understood the limitations of armor in association with classes either, and always find it has more to do with easing the burden of game balance. Wielding magic requires concentration, which armor isn't going to affect. Depending on the type of armor, however, will require increased strength. So if anything, it should be a movement penalty as mages will more naturally tend to study to improve the mind rather than grueling physical training.

I've never understood the limitations of armor in association with classes either' date=' and always find it has more to do with easing the burden of game balance. Wielding magic requires concentration, which armor isn't going to affect. Depending on the type of armor, however, will require increased strength. So if anything, it should be a movement penalty as mages will more naturally tend to study to improve the mind rather than grueling physical training.[/quote']

That's what I'm saying. Having a cost penalty to casting just makes no since to me. Movement cost, depending on the armor, I could completely understand. If I'm wearing steel armor I still have the freedom of my arms, hands, and mind just as any warrior would so why affect casting cost? I could maybe understand non-magical gloves affecting casting cost as they would restrict some movement in the hands. That would be reasonable and has been done in games before...Neverwinter Nights I think did this with gloves.