Quick qustion about texture optimization

GopherEverett

Question

I just finished optimizing vanilla textures, and I used batch file to create the archives (FalloutNV textures opt, HonestHearts textures opt, etc.) I've moved those archives into Mod Manager's downloads folder and I think I'm supposed to just install them like normal mods?  After they're installed do I put them above all the other mods in the left window? Or will it not matter once I have optimized the mod textures?

Edited by GopherEverett

11 answers to this question

I actually recommend this mod. Much easier than optimize by yourself - Fallout New Vegas Textures Optimized by Worriedwalrus  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/59435/?

This mod use DDSopt as well.

It is not in the F&L NV, but should be considered adding. I have been using it for the last one month without any problem. Not patience enough to optimize textures by myself. 

Edited by darkside
  • +1 1

Thanks. While I've got you, I noticed a small typo in the Weapons of the New Millenia section. It says, "Click the arrow next to "Optional Store" and highlight "Sound, meshes, textures" and drag them to "".  It is supposed to say "<data>" at the end.  The installation video shows it correctly. 

And thanks for the mod recommendation.  I wish I'd known about it a couple of hours ago, but at least I learned something :)

Edited by GopherEverett

I actually recommend this mod. Much easier than optimize by yourself - Fallout New Vegas Textures Optimized by Worriedwalrus  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/59435/?

This mod use DDSopt as well.

It is not in the F&L NV, but should be considered adding. I have been using it for the last one month without any problem. Not patience enough to optimize textures by myself. 

That mod mentions using DDSopt and the Nexus page, but it doesn't mention how DDSopt is configured. The recommended DDSopt parameters in in the DDSopt guide are quite different than the original ones that came with the mod on Nexus. I'd be a lot more comfortable with the Nexus version of optimized textures if I knew it used the information and parameters from the STEP DDSopt guide.

That mod mentions using DDSopt and the Nexus page, but it doesn't mention how DDSopt is configured. The recommended DDSopt parameters in in the DDSopt guide are quite different than the original ones that came with the mod on Nexus. I'd be a lot more comfortable with the Nexus version of optimized textures if I knew it used the information and parameters from the STEP DDSopt guide.

He mentioned that he followed DDSopt STEP guide in his mod description.

"These files consist of the optimizing process found here https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt but are already done so you don't have to go through it."

I can't tell how he followed the guide, but it is good enough for me. Save a few hours of my time. I optimized Skyrim texture follow your guide before and very glad I did, but it takes a lot of time.

Edited by darkside

Do you know which files should I check to see that he optimized them correctly?

Thanks. While I've got you, I noticed a small typo in the Weapons of the New Millenia section. It says, "Click the arrow next to "Optional Store" and highlight "Sound, meshes, textures" and drag them to "".  It is supposed to say "" at the end.  The installation video shows it correctly. 

And thanks for the mod recommendation.  I wish I'd known about it a couple of hours ago, but at least I learned something :)

Somehow wiki hide text . I fixed it to data.

I've got a few more questions if anyone can help out.  This time about installing the optimized versions of texture mods.  Do I install the optimized archives into the folder of the original mod or in a new folder?  I'm assuming if it's a new folder, I just put it immediately after the original in the left window?  If I do that, some of the original mods get a grey lightining bolt saying redundant.  Do I uncheck those?  Do I uncheck all of the originals?   Finally, I optimized the textures for Weapons of the New Milennia, but when I go to install that archive it runs an installer that I didn't see the first time round.  The guide mentions that the fomod for that mod doesnt work with mod organizer so I don't know what to to.  As always, thanks for all the help.

I've got a few more questions if anyone can help out.  This time about installing the optimized versions of texture mods.  Do I install the optimized archives into the folder of the original mod or in a new folder?  I'm assuming if it's a new folder, I just put it immediately after the original in the left window?  If I do that, some of the original mods get a grey lightining bolt saying redundant.  Do I uncheck those?  Do I uncheck all of the originals?   Finally, I optimized the textures for Weapons of the New Milennia, but when I go to install that archive it runs an installer that I didn't see the first time round.  The guide mentions that the fomod for that mod doesnt work with mod organizer so I don't know what to to.  As always, thanks for all the help.

You should put optimized archives after the original. No need to hide original textures. 

I am not sure about Weapons of the New Milennia. I normally don't optimize this mod's textures. I would follow the guide regarding texture optimization. How much RAM and VRAM do you have?

I pm'ed the mod author asking these questions. He is still active on Nexus.