Base UI Mods verification issues

mcshame

Question

As per the guide, I started with the Base UI installation, skipping the core fixes.

The game starts, pop-up came up about mods, no issues, small head icon on the bottom left, no issue, font looks changed.  Picked a sex and name, took the alternate dream start and was in a room.

So, sounds good.  But when I click Tab and get the Pipboy, it's there but goes bright white like it's overexposed.  And when I move the mouse cursor around, it leave arrows all over the screen.

The only part I was confused was the DarnUI_Support_for_FWE area.  I had installed the DarNified UI zip a11 at the start then DarnUI_Support_for_FWE prior to Advanced Recon Trap Detection (which I believe was a mistake) and then at the end prior to the UIO.

Believing this was an error, I deactivated the  DarnUI_Support_for_FWE (first one in error) and then reinstalled the later one as the guide implied I would need to if I deactivated a mod.  I still get the really bright pipboy and the esc screen to save/exit is also very bright white.

EDIT: ....and then start a clean save.....issue resolved.  Lessen learned, wait 10 more minutes before posting, and don't mod past midnight. 

To bed, more tomorrow

Edited by mcshame

Unfortunately, this is impacting me again, and I can't find a way to fix it.

I reinstalled DarnUI_Support_for_FWE  and then reinstalled UIO - User Interface Organizer. I also built a new bash patch just in case.  Started a new save/game, bring up Pipboy, bright white light and overexposed with the mouse cursor leaving ghosts.  How do I address this?

Edited by mcshame

I saw this before in Fallout NV and I was able to fix it by toggling the Pipboy light (tab key) several times (this post). If it doesn't work try a google search. This happens in both Fallout games fairly often and there have been many posts about it on the internet. It's extremely annoying. When you find the answer for you we'll put a comment in the Troubleshooting section of the guide.

I think I have a bigger problem than I realized but perhaps not so difficult to be fixed.  I was going to extract my Fallout bsa files to look at the textures and when I use ddsopt, it only shows me the anchorage - Main and -Sounds bsa, BrokenSteel - Main and Sounds bsa.

It is not displaying any of the fallout ones (the one's I need) the Pitt or Zeta.  Could they be corrupted?  I see them in explorer

The solution in that post seems to imply that DDSopt may not have handled pipboy3000 textures properly

Would someone please post the content in this build for the pipboy3000 directory so that I can compare

I don't think the comments on the optimizing the Pipboy BSA are relevant for the bright white light; I only referenced my own post. None of the other posts on the internet mention BSA problems.

With DDSopt (or BSAopt which is easier to use for looking at BSAs) you need to use the Browse key to navigate to the Fallout 3 Goty\Data folder and then select the bsa you want such as Fallout - Textures.bsa. What folder are you looking at in DDSopt? Look at the Fallout 3 Goty\Data folder in Windows Explorer and see what files are there. You should see all the Fallout 3 BSAs and plugins.

With DDSopt (or BSAopt which is easier to use for looking at BSAs) you need to use the Browse key to navigate to the Fallout 3 Goty\Data folder and then select the bsa you want such as Fallout - Textures.bsa. What folder are you looking at in DDSopt? Look at the Fallout 3 Goty\Data folder in Windows Explorer and see what files are there. You should see all the Fallout 3 BSAs and plugins.

I selected the data folder and it showed me the tree with only Anchorage and Brokensteel, the other were not displayed, very odd.  I extracted them by right clicking in explorer.

I tried this with both BSAopt and DDSopt and it worked properly for me. In the Browse menu while looking at Fallout 3 Goty\Data you did have the file type box in the lower right set to either All Documents or Bethesda Softworks Archives, right?

So, I would love e to say I have a solution for this overexposed pitboy but I cannot. It's a real pain. I kept doing the same quick start and it consistently wasn't working in the room where you select your attributes on the computer. I picked a new location to start and the pitboy was working. When a did a real start, it was working on and off depending on the location or perhaps lighting? Anyhow, I'll just work through it and start enjoying the game, otherwise looking real good. Need to get out of this vault 101.

Edited by mcshame

This is very annoying.  It's not like occasionally get the text overwriting white text on white text or getting the white overcast pip-boy, it's 95% of the time.  So far outside the vault, it's 100% of the time.  I can't play the game at all like this :( Is there anything I can do?  I trying holding the tab key, turning lights on and off, walking around, new saves...my pip-Boy is unusable :(  

I don't know; everything I've read says it is a game engine problem.. The only time it happened to me was in FNV and I was able to fix it. I don't know if it will affect it but there is an interface color changer in the guide; maybe it can affect it? Take a look at the Pipboy menus page at the FWE menu that affects the Stealth suit and Stealth boy; as mentioned in this part of the guide they don't use the same settings. Try changing this setting to see if it matters.

I even tried with the vanilla, get the same screen.  Could it be my INIs? Could I compare mine to someone else?

"Pipboy menus page at the FWE menu that affects the Stealth suit and Stealth boy"

Couldn't find that menu, where can I find it?

I use the INI files from DoubleYou's fINIp and the tweaks in the guide. I use the ENBoost settings in the guide. I have no idea whether the graphic card configuration affects this. When I do internet searches I don't get a lot of help other than what I already mentioned.

The menu settings are mentioned in the In Game Settings guide section. This is the associated menu page (that should be converted to use the new MCM STEP Template). If you have problems even with the vanilla game files I don't have many suggestions.