ENB mangling graphics with F&L in all ENB versions. Pics inside

Chromana

Question

ENB is mangling my graphics. I have followed the guide up to the end of the first User Interface section where it says to test out the game so far.

See screenshots here.

Graphic problem description:

Inside a building it appears as if everything has gained extra transparency. I can still move around and bump into things as usual.

Outside everything looks fine until I start looking westwards, between about NW and SW. Looking away from the west returns the graphics to normal and all the extra ENB effects look great.

During popups other UI elements (e.g. the compass) flicker instead of not being shown and a nice blur effect for the entire screen except the popup.

Details:

I am using 4GBfix to run the game and have tried both wrapper and injector variants of both ENB and the ENBoost only version

I tried running it with NVSE but the same effects were seen, implying it's not a 4GBfix/ENBcompatibility issue but something else.

I've been using the latest version of enb for FNV, v0.278, which is one newer than in the guide. I also tried the previously available version v0.216.

ENB works fine on my system with vanilla FNV being run through Steam.

I know ENB is running "correctly" because I can do the usual shift+enter and shift+F12 actions.

Shift+F12 to turn off ENB doesn't fix it, it just changes the colours. So it seems like the issues don't stem from the additional graphical effects.

Nvidia GTX 780 Ti (3 GB VRAM) with latest drivers. 8 GB memory.

Any ideas?

11 answers to this question

Is the Steam Overlay turned on? This causes all the mentioned issues with ENB. The two things are just not compatible. Other than that just double check you have hardware AA turned off. Check those two things and if the issue still persists we can go from there. 

Is the Steam Overlay turned on?

Yep, that was exactly it! Thanks. Should probably go in the guide.

While I have someone's attention maybe you can help me with another graphical issue. It appears to be a LOD issue when I use the output of FNVLODGen. When I get closer the rocks pop in.

See pics.

So it appears just to be the red rocks. There are lots of them though, it's not just one texture. Just the red rocks. Hmm.

The IDs of some of these objects which I identified are:

0014eb96

0014eb98

0014ebad

0014eb8e

0013d923

0016045a

I'm not skilled enough to know what to do with these, however.

I have done the basic vanilla texture optimising and have all the other textures included in the guide. Removing the LODs mod fixes the issue, although of course I'd prefer to use it.

Ideas?

Yea that is definitely a LOD issue. :\ I have not messed around very much with the FNVLODGen though so I cannot be of much help here. However, I will say that I am against using DDSopt to "optimize" your textures. Unless you are running a very low powered rig it shouldn't be necessary. In my testing I have found that DDSopt more often than not degrades the quality of textures and ends up causing more issues than it fixes. I personally see no use in using the program unless you have less than 2GB of VRAM. In which case you shouldn't be installing a lot of texture mods anyway. In the photos it looks like for whatever reason your Normal maps are being used as the diffuse or as the LOD. Which explains why they are purple/blue. I've never had this issue before so I am not really sure what to tell you. :\ I am sorry I don't have more information. 

If following the F&L guide Poco Bueno overwrites the issue with that one texture file from NMC before FNVLODGen even sees it, from my understanding.  Also, just yesterday I just modified the instructions for running FNVLODGen in the guide because for some reason they previously were missing instructions about installing the "FNVLODGen Resources" archive.

If following the F&L guide Poco Bueno overwrites the issue with that one texture file from NMC before FNVLODGen even sees it, from my understanding.  Also, just yesterday I just modified the instructions for running FNVLODGen in the guide because for some reason they previously were missing instructions about installing the "FNVLODGen Resources" archive.

Hey hansolo, just checked out your new instructions. You probably wanted to link to the FNVLodGen page in the guide instead of the F3LodGen page. Check the new resources link you added.

I'm getting some other "random" crashes so hopefully this additional file will help. Also I had Poco Bueno before NMC for some reason too.

Edited by Chromana

Crap... Thank you.  I fixed it just now.  I think I must have clicked on EssArrBee's F3 equivalent link earlier in the guide by accident when I was trying to grab the site address real quick from the Utilities section.  I really hope no one accidentally installed the files from there... If they did though I hope it's obvious things didn't work correctly.  Do you think it's worth mentioning the corrected link in the changelog for the guide?

I think it's probably fine, it was only for a day  :^_^:

However, I'm now having problems starting FNV at all. I've only made a couple changes since the last working time. I added the FNVLogGen resources (at the top of the mod list, above JIP), regenerated the LODs and installed them in MO and remade the bashed patch (just in case). Now I can't start FNV at all in MO! This includes putting the MO profile back to Default (with no mods ticked) and trying to run the default FNV executable. I can start the game through Steam, and by starting nvse_loader.exe and fnv4gb.exe outside of MO. I've also tried starting MO with admin rights, but that doesn't change anything. MO can start other tools like Loot and FNVedit though. Removing enb doesn't do anything. I've also rebooted and Steam Checked Cache (redownloaded 6 files, not sure what).

So when I try to start FNV4gb or NVSE in MO it pops up the "MO is locked why executable is running" window for a couple seconds and then it goes away. This is very frustrating, I didn't think the LOD Resources would change anything. Ideas?