W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited (Witcher 3)

Neovalen

So far I left the Primer settings at default except for allowing Alchemy anywhere; I might change it back later.

I have other questions about Primer. I like that it changes the recipes so that multiple ingredients can be used as substitutes in a recipe. So far in White Orchard, however, I haven't seen any situations where it allows me to substitute an ingredient I have instead of one I don't (I watched the video that showed Primer doing this; I don't see quite the same GUI in my game). In addition, there is a problem with the recipes needed for White Orchard quests. This includes at least a Swallow potion, a Specter oil, and some bombs. The game itself puts all of the ingredients to make at least one of these items for quests in White Orchard either at a merchant or somewhere in loot or a plant. Primer changes the ingredients for all the recipes, and some of the ingredients for the important recipes (e.g., Nekker heart for grapeshot bombs) aren't available anywhere in White Orchard. Moreover, some of these ingredients that are available at a merchant cost more money than I have.

@Kelmych: What I did was left most things default expect for animations during combat and the number of potions, oils and bombs created I change that to 3 so it more like vanilla.

I did manage to get 1 Necker heart but that was a random drop form the group of Neckers near the Sawmill in White Ochard. I have so far been unable to create any bombs as the grapeshot bomb requires 2 necker hearts which means i can't destroy any of the monster nests very annoying good loot going to watse.

I am about to face the griffin and just hit level 4.

So far i managed to create:

Specter oil

necrophage oil

Hybrid oil

Swallow

I also have enough for Killer Whale (but don't see the need for that at the moment)

I did end up having to buy and load a Alochest to made this thou.

Edited by Darth_mathias

With Primer do when you meditate do you need a whole set of new ingredients for a potion or just the alcohol part; the description makes it sound like you need everything again? Were you able to find all the ingredients  you needed as loot or plants other than one Alochrest? How does the item substitution work; if I click on the ingredient in the alchemy menu should it cycle through the substitute items?

With Primer do when you meditate do you need a whole set of new ingredients for a potion or just the alcohol part; the description makes it sound like you need everything again? Were you able to find all the ingredients  you needed as loot or plants other than one Alochrest? How does the item substitution work; if I click on the ingredient in the alchemy menu should it cycle through the substitute items?

i haven't been able to use the substitute feature yet (can't work it out). So far from my testing you need all ingredients when remaking potions this could be very expensive.

no i didn't find everything as loot had to buy some ingredients from the herbalists (which is annoying cos no one in ~White Orchard carrys Necker hearts AHHH)

Edit: figured it out you need to enter mediation mode and click on the ingredients then press s this will then cycle through the substitute ingredients.

helps to read the manual. Wish i knew that before i wasted a ton of cash on stuff that i may not of needed.

Edited by Darth_mathias

Hey guy i have noted what i think is a bug and wonder if anyone else has seen this issue or know of a fix. I was fighting the first member of the Wild Hunt I applied some oil mid fight to deal with the hounds, after applying the oil my character became stuck and wouldn't fight he put his sword away and refused to take it out thus I died horribly. I have animations turned off during combat but this doesn't seem to apply to oils.

Edited by Darth_mathias

hey guys is anyone else having issues with the oil animations during combat bugging out. both me a Darth have animations turned off during combat but this doesn't seem to apply to oils.

I have also noticed that the amount of alcohol e.g. Dwarven Spirit out in the world has been greatly reduced and I can't find recipes anywhere i believe the is likely due to Primer this is the first time i have used this mod so unsure.

Edited by DarkladyLexy

I followed Neo's guide and used your tweaks. I think one of them is causing shadow glitches, but only on Geralt's head/hair. Looks like flickering lines in the shadows. Only on his head though. Do you have any ideas? I used rootsrat's tweaks as well from his other guide.

EDIT: looks like it's happening all over his body too 

https://imgur.com/a/TpKrB

Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

• 2 weeks later...

After extensive play testing i have decided to drop Primer from my game due to a number of reasons:

1. Alcohol and the recipes seem to have totally disappeared from the world (e.g random looting and in the case of recipes not found a single one).

2. The cost of buying Alcohol from inns has dramatically increased to almost stupid levels make it uneconomical for a Alchemy build.

3. You can majorly cheat a give yourself an almost endless supply of potions, Bombs and Oils via the mod menu thus making the game stupidly easy.

Edited by DarkladyLexy

I have also noticed the lack of Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit in loot, and I have found no recipe for either.  I have been able to get the ingredients for White Gull which can often be used instead of these two. White Gull can usually replace these two, but the strong alcohols it needs are often scarce and/or expensive. The other ingredients for White Gull are fairly available. The game description states the lack of recipes for these two ingredients, and also says there is a price and scarcity change of these two ingredients and alcohol in general.

The scarcity and cost of strong alcohols, and inability to transform weak alcohols into strong ones, seems to be a problem in Primer. The author wants to make alchemy harder but less arbitrary (the conventional recipes require specific ingredients that are all too often quite hard to find), as stated in the description. I haven't seen any comment by the author on why all strong alcohols are scarce and/or expensive.

I haven't looked at the configuration file to see how to make changes in this yet; the description implies that most features can be changed in the configuration file.

• 2 weeks later...

yes I spoke the mod author of Primer and the lack of Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit in intention it just through me that's all. I am still getting the bug of broken animations during combat when applying oils mid combat what I have done is apply oils before a fight and try my best not to reapply mid fight. My wife on the other hand has just turn off all realism animations in the mod menu does as it annoy her too much. This really needs fixing but I guess that is down to Neo to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not been around of late, hopefully all is well with everyone. I will be re-modding my game and thus updating the guide in the near future. Since I will be starting a new game, those with games in progress may or may not want to follow along with the changes... I am thinking of going with an overhaul such as Ghost Mode by wghost81 (author of many of the best mods for TW3) that is still under active development. I will also be switching my base game version to the GOG GOTY edition which CDProjekt gave to everyone with the game and both DLCs.

I am also likely to recommend manual installation methods instead of using the old NMM since there are lots of manual steps already in this guide and it just cuts out the middleman. Anyway, wanted to throw a heads up so people are not shocked. :)