Mythic Dawn: 2015 Update Discussion & Changelog

SynthetikHD

Thanks guys! :)

I know that I said that I finished the guide a few days ago, but I actually changed just a few things since then, so I'll put the changes here so people that have followed the guide can make sure they have the changes.

@hishutup I know you need to make these changes too cuz you started before I made any of these changes.

\OBSE\Plugins\sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover.ini: (Might not work well for everyone, but I had massive improvements with this so I'd at least try it)

iHeapAlgorithm = 6
iHeapSize = 1024

\OBSE\Plugins\OblivionReloaded.ini: (Both cause very noticeable graphical bugs, so definitely make sure both are off. Also it will still rain after turning off precipitations in case you are wondering)

[shaders]
EnablePrecipitations = 0

[Effects]

EnableAmbientOcclusion = 0

\Documents\My Games\Oblivion:

[Display]
iMultiSample=2

[interface]
fDlgFocus=3.0000

AllNatural.ini:
set ANVars.Luminance to 0.75
set ANVars.SILuminance to 0.75
set ANVars.TCEnabled to 1
Edited by SynthetikHD

Argh, well perhaps I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. At any rate, I seem to be encountering a lot of CTDs and mesh issues around IC, not far from where you exit the original sewer exit. I seem to be pretty stable away from IC. Is that what most of you are experiencing or are you able to tweak IC so there aren't glaring mesh issues and frequent (maybe once every 15-30mins) CTDs around the outer edges of IC? Obviously my guess is that this is something to do with my setup or implementation of BC and related patches, but I am also using ROC and UL. I seem to recall a setting that had to do with the outer walls of IC, perhaps I need to tweak that setting? I don't mind starting my character over if needed, but I'd prefer to avoid having to roll back and reload the install. Also, Hish mentioned a CTD reduction mod and waiting until version 3.0 was available, do we have any idea when that could be available?

Sorry idk, I use BC, UL, and ROC and don't have any issues around the IC. Check the 'Complicated Mods' section and check if you did everything it said and have all the setting right maybe. Try running BOSS and build your Bash Patch again? If you are getting a lot of crashes, try setting the OSR heap settings back to "5" and "768".

And OR 3.0 is planned to release sometime in September.

Thanks Synth, I'll go back thru all of my settings and patches for BC, UL, and ROC to see if I missed something. And I'll see how things are performing farther away from IC before changing the OR heap settings. But being a Wrye Bash noob, if I find that I need to make a tweak to BC or UL or whatever...can I tweak the setting in the installed mod, anneal, run BOSS again, rebuild the bashed patch, run teslodgen and the mpgui for the other tes program...and if that resolves things in game then just start my character over to avoid potential saved game corruption, etc. or am I grossly overcomplicating the process? As an aside if I do nothing but tweak an ini setting for a particular mod in an existing saved game, what is the best method to both insure that the tweak is not overwritten and that it doesn't screw up that character's saves?

First off, just to say thanks to you all for keeping this alive. I am the "silent majority" hinted at earlier :) Been following since Hishutup first started. I am currently testing an install based on most of the guide. I am using OOO with Kobal's GIGANTIC add on and creature mod. Also Snu's Dungeons (alternative) that walker and kobal tweaked, with better dungeons installed first. No BC. Also using this mod, which adds nice color moods to the changing environment. She has a great eye for color. Must have OR...wanted to list where I strayed from guide....some observations if I may!

1. So far I still need OR's FPS manager. Tried without, but no go at least on my box (i7 quad, 8G ram, gtx970)

2. am using ram disk, which seems to help with LOD/tex loading. Was using Softperfect (fastest) until win 10...no support yet...now Dataram (good, but will go back to SP)

3. Trying to tweak what I CAN use of Really AEVWD (instead of just screenshots:)

4. Just wondering, I have a total of 5 settings to disable all autosave in ini. Rest, travel, interior/ex, ballowscriptedautosaves(per Alenet), and wait. Even then there is corruption!

@Szorn..I was a Bash noob too many years ago (now I'm too old!) It's a great tool, but a pain in the a** when full of mods. Best for Oblivion though.....and I use BOSS....LOOT for Skyrim

Thanks again for all the hard work

I figured it out, I forgot the useful suggestion to read the readme and mod authors instructions for the more complicated mods. I merged the 'better cities.esp' into the bashed patch, when it is supposed to be activated separate from the bashed patch. After cleaning that all up and starting my character over again just to be on the safe side, Imperial City looks fantastic and so far pretty seamless. As an added benefit that seems to have considerably reduced my CTD rate, perhaps because now the game and my PC are not working overtime to find a ton of missing meshes.

It might be helpful to add a reminder about the better cities.esp in the bashed patch instructions at the end of the guide, so rookies don't miss that critical step.

Edited by Szorn

if I find that I need to make a tweak to BC or UL or whatever...can I tweak the setting in the installed mod, anneal, run BOSS again, rebuild the bashed patch, run teslodgen and the mpgui for the other tes program...and if that resolves things in game then just start my character over to avoid potential saved game corruption, etc. or am I grossly overcomplicating the process?

I'm not sure what kind of tweak you would need to do, but yeah all of that is necessary but you might not have to start a new character, it depends. But you only need to run Tes4ll again if you do anything related to landscape mods.

if I do nothing but tweak an ini setting for a particular mod in an existing saved game, what is the best method to both insure that the tweak is not overwritten and that it doesn't screw up that character's saves?

INI tweaks shouldn't ever mess up a save game, but to make sure it's not overwritten, just make the change to the INI in the Oblivion Data folder, then copy that INI to its mod folder in Oblivion mods/Bash Installers folder.

First off, just to say thanks to you all for keeping this alive. I am the "silent majority" hinted at earlier :) 

1. So far I still need OR's FPS manager.

4. Just wondering, I have a total of 5 settings to disable all autosave in ini. Rest, travel, interior/ex, ballowscriptedautosaves(per Alenet), and wait. Even then there is corruption!

Thanks. Just wondering, but why do you need the fps manager? How does it help? And having autosaves enabled doesn't cause save corruption, just using the autosaves does. So its best to just tell people to disable them so people don't use them.

It might be helpful to add a reminder about the better cities.esp in the bashed patch instructions at the end of the guide, so rookies don't miss that critical step.

That reminder is in the guide at the end of the Better Cities installation.

I'll have to try out those alternative heap settings. My framerates are really fantastic even in IC and other 'busy' areas, but I CTD a lot or the game will go blackscreen and I have to x out, but audio is still working...very odd. I'm not using any autosaves, quicksaves, etc. And I manually load if I get gibbed. Edit - I tried out heap 5 (worse than 6), and heap 2 (can't load a screen without CTD). My game is stable in most areas, but I found an area in the outskirts of Skingrad where I was CTDing every 30 secs...or less and had to try and fast travel maybe 10 times before it didn't crash on the attempt. As much as I love the idea of BC, ROC, and UL I might have to just drop those and see if that cleans up some of my CTD.

As an aside, a quick bravo to Maskar, if you want a real challenge, but don't want to screw around with FCOM, I highly recommend MOO. At low levels you will NOT want to face a fort full of vampires ;).../kersplat.

Edited by Szorn

Thanks. Just wondering, but why do you need the fps manager? How does it help? And having autosaves enabled doesn't cause save corruption, just using the autosaves does. So its best to just tell people to disable them so people don't use them.

Since I have a fresh install I am going to test the fps manager further. Been working a lot and haven't had time. If memory serves, stability and smoothness were better with it enabled on my setup. You are exactly right...using autosaves causes major corruption. I just meant I disable all of them and go manually all the way. If an autosave was the last save and players hit "continue" it would load the autosave...that's why I disable them all. That way there are none. Hope this helps clarify

OK, I've just finished installing everything and after a few hiccups, I can get in the game and all looks good. I'll do some more testing when I have time and let you know if I spot any issues.

I have almost everything from the guide installed, except any RED mods and about 2-3 orange ones. 

Some weird issues during installation that I didn't get last time;

1) Wrye Bash wouldn't cooperate unless my INI was NOT set to read-only. It kept wanting access to it whenever I would load up Wrye Bash and would then force me to close it because access to INI was denied. I had to let it do it's thing and then copy my tweaked INI over once I'd finished everything in Bash. Weird...

2) Any mod package with a wizard would throw an error after installation, something about 'Get Parent' - I never had that before, but they seemed to install just fine anyway.

3) After completing installation, Oblivion kept crashing on first menu load bar, at about 2mm of loading. I had to restart and build the bashed patch again. Since this didn't happen last time, I would imagine it maybe related to Win10 since my last installtion was on Win7 (perhaps the above are also related Win10)

1. This is probably because you set the INI to read only before starting Wrye Bash the first time which shouldn't be done.

2. Yeah that's happened to me too on a few mods, not sure why, but like you said they seem to install okay.

3. I know a lot of people assume Windows 10 is causing a problem for a game, but I'm positive it's not Windows 10 because I haven't heard one case of Windows 10 being the cause of crashes or anything for any game. If it's crashing instantly, it's probably a problem with the UI (make sure you've done the .ini font tweaks) or a problem with the heap settings. Try putting the OSR settings to (5) and (768).

Thank you to Hishutup and Synthetik for their efforts making this guide. I am modding a fresh installation slowly to give time to Alanet to release the new version of Reloaded, and I notice that a hotfix for the Unoficial Oblivion Patch is apparently necessary. You can find info about the problems the hotfix solves in the first pages of comments in the nexus page for UOP: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5296/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Foblivion%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D5296%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D22693&pUp=1

And you can get the hotfix here:

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1616-unofficial-oblivion-patch-hotfix-353b/

I think the hotfix should be included in the guide.

Editing my post to add that Elz- No floating Weapon has been set to hidden by the author in the nexus under the cryptic comment: "A new problem has been found. Working on it."

Back again to point out that discovery1, the author of The Imperial Ecology has released a new Flora/grass replacer whith Oblivion Reloaded in mind. He personally thinks it is his best work to date. Maybe you want to have a look to it to decide if it'd be worthy to include on the guide instead The Imperial Ecology. Nexus page: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/46389/?

Edited by Dennai